Thread: mini mono

Default mini mono

Hi everyone new here... I found a 11.1 v 3S 1800mAh 50c battery that fits in my mini mono will the 20 amp.esc be ok with that battery don't want to burn it up...appreciate all your comments thanks....
    Last edited by heyjack8; 10-11-2018 at 12:57 PM.

It will be OK - But those ESC's aren't great and don't last forever.

thank you... I just took delivery of my second mini mono yesterday from RC Planet and the motor won't work out of the box...talking to them now about solving the problem...my first boat sunk in the bottom of my pond and I recovered it but its shot...I loved that little boat so I ordered another one but no li-po is included...and I kinda wanted to make sure it would handle that battery...the price of a new boat was less than trying to replace everything that went bad after the boat sank. so I need to replace the battery and wanted to know if I can get the same battery it had when it sunk...oh this one has the new updated ESC and it seems they don't work much better either..if thats whats wrong with it ..it binds to reciever and the rudder works but the motor doesn't...it's turned into a real pain in the a$$.... well they sent me a replacement ESC just got it today installed and it works...HOORAY....thanks RC Planet....they went the distance to make me a happy customer...
    Last edited by heyjack8; 10-13-2018 at 01:24 PM.

I assume it was running on a 3S battery, so I will be fine.
    An 1800 mAh battery may be a bit heavy, so you may need to move it around to get the balance right.

As far as the amp draw, that is controlled by the load you put on the motor with the prop. Larger prop, or a prop with more pitch, will draw more current.
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

it ran great very fast but I have a diffuser in my pond that bubbles up water from the air..(aerator) and when I hit it the bubbles it flipped and sunk...it took me three days to recover it but all the electronics were fried. so I ordered a new one because I love that little boat...and it didn't have the battery included so I wanted to be sure I should get the same battery I had on the other boat which was bigger than the one that came in it which was a 2 s lipo..thanks for your response...now I will tape the hatch down for sure...

Which mini mono do you have and what ESC does it have in it?

Typically a 30A ESC is used in mini monos if it is watercooled, or 50A if it is uncooled, whether on 2s or 3s.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Default mini mono esc

it is a 20 amp..and water cooled

My stock Mini mono is still running great after 4 seasons with zero issues over that period of time.
    Makes me feel like a kid with a great toy again every time I run it

just took my Mini-Mono for it's maiden run....figured it's a beautiful day sunshine and all...so I put the new prop on her Octura x431 taped up the hatch and she flies....this little boat is fast and turns on a dime very happy now after they sent me a brand new ESC..( out of the box it was bad) not sure if I will do any other upgrade to her now how fast do I really need to go...? but anyway even taping up the hatch I still hat a little bit of water in her belly. that realy surprised me must be coming in the stern some place I think...

We had mini mono sink too if water get in, first one sunk this one will sink fill extra spaces with foam strips for insurance.

so essentially what your saying if I use a higher amp esc it doesn't necessarily need to be water cooled then...is that correct...I think the non water cooled ESC is less expensive than the water cooled ESC...

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Which mini mono do you have and what ESC does it have in it?

Typically a 30A ESC is used in mini monos if it is watercooled, or 50A if it is uncooled, whether on 2s or 3s.
    Um, sorry but that's not true!!

ALL of them came with 20-amp ESC's.

Very early models were not watercooled, all others are.
    AQ MiniMono - CopterX 430XL 3550kv BL Outrunner + Seaking(V2) 35A on 2S VERY Fast
    Pro Boat SW26v3 - 2860-2600kv + Seaking(V2) 90A on 3S, Build in Progress
    Pro Boat Stealthwake 23 - Stock For Now - Brushless Down The Road

I don't know where you are getting that info, the Tenshock Mini Monos come with 40A ESCs, the ETTI Mini Monos come with 70A now, but used to come with a 35A when they still made one, and the Ecomaster Mini Mono comes with a 50A ESC, those are the only competitive Mini Mono ARTRs in the last 6 years, most people fit out hulls themselves so they don't even come with an ESC, but in that case 30-50A is almost ubiquitous, even the Mini Mono in your signature has a 35A ESC. 20A just won't work, it will either be uncompetitively slow or burn up in short order.

Go bigger always if you can fit it in.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    I don't know where you are getting that info, the Tenshock Mini Monos come with 40A ESCs, the ETTI Mini Monos come with 70A now, but used to come with a 35A when they still made one, and the Ecomaster Mini Mono comes with a 50A ESC, those are the only competitive Mini Mono ARTRs in the last 6 years, most people fit out hulls themselves so they don't even come with an ESC, but in that case 30-50A is almost ubiquitous, even the Mini Mono in your signature has a 35A ESC. 20A just won't work, it will either be uncompetitively slow or burn up in short order.
    Paul, the thread was about the Aquacraft Mini Mono, not all the other brands / types you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Go bigger always if you can fit it in.
    That's what she said
    AQ MiniMono - CopterX 430XL 3550kv BL Outrunner + Seaking(V2) 35A on 2S VERY Fast
    Pro Boat SW26v3 - 2860-2600kv + Seaking(V2) 90A on 3S, Build in Progress
    Pro Boat Stealthwake 23 - Stock For Now - Brushless Down The Road

Is it? My bad. I see no reference to Aquacraft, so had no idea which Mini Mono the OP was referring to.