Thread: What maintenance to do if a motor and esc has been sitting for a long time?

Default What maintenance to do if a motor and esc has been sitting for a long time?

I recently bought back a pursuit that I built about 6 years ago. When I sold it, the boat had very little run time and the new owner only ran it a handful of times before he crashed it.

I've done all the paint and body but was wondering if the motor and or the ecs need to be serviced in any way before I fire it back up. Its been in a climate controlled house the whole time.

Motor is a castle 1515 and the esc is a seaking 180 with castle cap bank inline. Believe the 180 is a v1.
    white geico w/2200kv 3674 leopard 53.5mph 4s2p, geico w/ 1800kv outrunner 52mph on 4s2p, genesis w/2200kv castle 53.8 on 4s2p, impulse 31 w/2200kv castle, stock p1 and ul-1

Just check the plugs for any corrosion and maybe a drop of oil on the motor bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    Just check the plugs for any corrosion and maybe a drop of oil on the motor bearings.
    Check and lube the flex also.

If it was ever wet inside or been swamped, the inside of the motor can rust if not properly cleand and cared for. Both the magnets and stack rust easily when exposed to water.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Thanks for the confirmation Ray, I was thinking since the rebuild kits for those motors are still available it would probably be a good idea to do so. Boat was never swamped while in my care but you never know exactly what it went through while it was gone.

How about the cap bank and the caps in the esc. Do they deteriorate over time, especially while sitting or am I good?

Nitro, thanks for the response. I went ahead and build a new flex just encase as I just don’t know how it was treated by the second owner.
    white geico w/2200kv 3674 leopard 53.5mph 4s2p, geico w/ 1800kv outrunner 52mph on 4s2p, genesis w/2200kv castle 53.8 on 4s2p, impulse 31 w/2200kv castle, stock p1 and ul-1

Quote Originally Posted by stadiumyamaha View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation Ray, I was thinking since the rebuild kits for those motors are still available it would probably be a good idea to do so. Boat was never swamped while in my care but you never know exactly what it went through while it was gone.

How about the cap bank and the caps in the esc. Do they deteriorate over time, especially while sitting or am I good?

Nitro, thanks for the response. I went ahead and build a new flex just encase as I just don’t know how it was treated by the second owner.
    Hey you're welcome...! Hope she goes good for ya....!