Thread: How to install TP can on TP motor with there tiny o ring

Default How to install TP can on TP motor with there tiny o ring

Just got these tp 3236 1950kv Motors new. Can get the water jacket on with these tiny o rings. 4 rings came with motor are 2 extra or do I use all 4?
    Anyways I can’t get the o ring to fit in the water case grove that seam wat to big to fit or work . Please help thx

I use vegetable oil to help things slide together. Just one o-ring per end of cooling can.

The issue I have is the o ring is like 25% too larger and won’t all stuff into the slot. The other thing is the oring is so small their only a tiny bit of gap between can and motor is that enough to cool it? ED33AC1E-1658-4990-AB99-278D5FB2CF25.jpg

Oh that looks like possibly the wrong part(o-ring) supplied. There won’t be a lot of room between motor case and cooler, maybe 1/16” all around

I recall mine being like that. It definitely takes more work than other cans I've installed, but it will work. Work the other ends of the o-ring to try and stretch it out to reduce the loop not in the groove at the trailing end. Lubrication of some type will help to get the can over the motor. As gross as it sounds, I wipe my finger along the side of my nose and then slide it across the O-ring. My grampa taught me that to coat razor blades to keep them from rusting in the tool box. I also give the can and motor a healthy spray of windex. Others have success with other lubricants, I like windex because there's less mess and nothing left when it dries.

First thing I would recommend doing is drilling out the cooling barbs before you install the can on the motor. There's enough wall thickness and they're unnecessarily narrow to begin with.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Ya this is not my first shot at this. It’s the extra amount of o ring that hard to load and get in place. Interested info on the nose. Sounds sick but I belive it.

I had thought of looking for other o rings but should not have to. To be honest I don’t get the tiny gap between the can and motor. It’s so small I would have expected more to keep things cool.

Are we to use silicone on the o ring to help seal or not. I can't find instructions anywhere. Thxs guys

Nothing is needed for a proper seal. The challenge lies in getting the o ring seated in the groove first. It took time, and was frustrating, but I got mine in. No issues personally with cooling, but I do agree, they don't have the volume that some other cans do and are not my favorite.

Do what I do with most of my TP motors with TP cooling cans. . .CHANGE THEM! Also, like Ryan for some of my TP motor with TP cooling jackets I had no issues using them, but for others with hotter setups, I took them out and replaced them with something like HRC cooling cans. I think for most people TP cooling cans are not their favorite to use.

I think that o-ring is just a size to large, the last TP can I purchased the O-ring popped right in. To me the can is to loose on the motor and can slide up and down with little force. I plan to switch it out for the HRC cooler when they are back up and running.
    Team Liquid Dash

They fit, but they are one of the hardest to do. Very similar to the Lehner jackets Ive used. You have to put part of the oring in and work around the circle. you literally have to use as many fingers as possible, to hold part of it in while working the other part into the grove.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    They fit, but they are one of the hardest to do. Very similar to the Lehner jackets Ive used. You have to put part of the oring in and work around the circle. you literally have to use as many fingers as possible, to hold part of it in while working the other part into the grove.
    When you getting in more TP motors?

I had to use many pieces of tape to keep it in place, and walk around the can. Yes, it was as if the o-ring was one size too big. It did pop in there.
    I also found the fittings WAY TOO constricting. I replaced them with short section of la tube with a 4mm ID. My entire cooling system has a 4MM ID. Works nicely.
    Last edited by larryrose11; 10-09-2018 at 01:57 PM. Reason: more info
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

Quote Originally Posted by jim82 View Post
    When you getting in more TP motors?
    I hope this week.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Walk it it around with as many fingers as you can like Steve said.