Thread: ML Boatworks RSX380 Outrigger! My first FE wood kit build...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Since we're sharing ideas for tight clearance motor mounts & the like, here's something I've been doing for years (and won me the American Psychiatric Associations "Duh-Aha" Award/Necessity is the Mother of Invention/ Frank Zappa -

But first the backstory : Being a serious "Ltd" Class competitor, several seasons back I experienced the decline in longevity of the later manufactured NAMBA approved "spec" motors which started lasting as long as a burrito outgassing in a windstorm and hence I needed to be able to quickchange kerfuffled motors between heats minus the frustration of looking for that pesky 3mm hex and first engaging , then unscrewing the front mounting hex's 1/331 turns at a time. This is what I came up with (and how I do ALL my motors now) and maybe this could add to your your in/out mount design :

First - get some 3mm capscrews, de-capitate them, red Loctite them into the front endbell to make studs
    quickchange stuff002.JPG

Use small box-end to either initially break loose loose or fully tighten
    quickchange stuff003.JPG

Make (or find online) a flexible socket drive ( Old hex handle, .150 flexshaft, 7/32 socket)

quickchange flex001.JPG

Go for it

quickchange stuff006.JPG
    Last edited by properchopper; 10-19-2018 at 05:28 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono