Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ML Boatworks RSX380 Outrigger! My first FE wood kit build...

Default ML Boatworks RSX380 Outrigger! My first FE wood kit build...

Wow! What a beautiful design and quality kit! Can this rigger break the triple digit mark? What motor/ esc combo should I run? Do I go with 6s or 8s? What color scheme do I want for this boat?

First a big shout out to cybercrxt for the labor of love that keeps ML Boatworks relevant. I have some desire pass it on in our hobby, but not to his level of unselfishness. Incredible! Thank you Mike!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sammyha; 10-30-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Living in northern Wisconsin makes traveling to club events a bit impractical.

So...this is going to be a rigger build for SAW speed runs.

From a boating newcomer's perspective.

Last edited by sammyha; 10-30-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Since there are already build threads done on Mike's riggers, this will be a build thread from my perspective of having a RTR and now what do I need to learn to put together a FE rigger kit?

I've started gluing some wood together...

Last edited by sammyha; 10-30-2018 at 11:58 AM.

So even with airplane building experience, the questions begin... I used medium CA to join the bottom, sides and formers. Then weighted it down overnight.

Now I'm adding the 3/16" corner strips. The interlocked formers hold very well, but the bottom is butted to the sides. I didn't like the brittle cracking sounds it makes when I fit the strips in the corners. And I did not use accelerator. So I'm epoxying the corner strips in.

This takes longer, but will be much stronger.

Is this overkill?

I read the whole manual, the bottom does get covered with carbon fiber. I just think rough water would pop the bottom corners loose...

Going to watch this one, I was thinking about buying one of these over the winter. The only difference for me is I have no interest in SAW running but I haven't seen many videos of the 38" running oval.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Raydee; 10-07-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    Team Liquid Dash

Quote Originally Posted by sammyha View Post
    So even with airplane building experience, the questions begin... I used medium CA to join the bottom, sides and formers. Then weighted it down overnight.

Now I'm adding the 3/16" corner strips. The interlocked formers hold very well, but the bottom is butted to the sides. I didn't like the brittle cracking sounds it makes when I fit the strips in the corners. And I did not use accelerator. So I'm epoxying the corner strips in.

This takes longer, but will be much stronger.

Is this overkill?

I read the whole manual, the bottom does get covered with carbon fiber. I just think rough water would pop the bottom corners loose...

Nothing wrong with that I use tite bond 3

I would use epoxy on all the joints. Way stronger then CA.

Interesting bhorowitz... Any tips on how you do that? Five minute epoxy? How do you not turn that into a big mess? Just takes longer, or do you have a way to make decent progress? Because there's a lot of length in glue joints to cover...

Also, I'm looking right now at the upper 3/16" strips and wondering how can I epoxy them on and maintain the bend until the epoxy sets? Clamps?

Appreciate the input guys. The tite bond 3 is like carpenter's glue, right Jim82? Very strong. Again has a longer setup time than CA. So same questions for that...

Last edited by sammyha; 10-30-2018 at 11:59 AM.

I've built airplane fuselages that were lite plywood with thin CA. Goes fast, just keep soaking it in until the joints are full. That structure has the same "brittle" sound. But after shrinking the covering it becomes quite strong in the airplane world.

But with a boat impacting waves, it seems real iffy. I'm happy with the strips epoxied into the bottom corners. I certainly feel like I want to epoxy the top strips and the top itself. Be much more difficult to coat inside the upper corners with epoxy after the top deck is on.

Last edited by sammyha; 10-13-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Figuring it out. Applying epoxy with a small screwdriver. It's getting fun now...

I won this clamp and aluminum angle "kit" someone put together for a prize at an airplane fun fly years ago. Who would of thought that years later I'd be pulling it out for this!

Last edited by sammyha; 11-21-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Checking for squareness. Weights on the inside, no need to pin it down on my model bench at this point...

Looks like you've got it figured out pretty well. You can also flow epoxy in with a small acid brush bent to get in under the deck. Sometimes I'll tack things together with CA and then go back over the joints with epoxy.

Good stuff...

Just takes time, and what's the hurry? Got all winter.

I cut this strip slightly long, it almost holds the bend by itself. Lots of clamps at the bend. Tends to want to creep until the epoxy sets.

Last edited by sammyha; 10-30-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Lookin good. I used weights, tape, rubber bands, or clamps to hold things down. Whatever it takes.
    Remember that the tub really won’t take the beating on the water. Your boat will ride on the sponsons and prop mostly. The tub is just a place to hold your electronics etc... doesn’t hurt to overbuild it however👍🏼

Right. Yeah, I don't think this is a weight issue. I'm applying the epoxy judiciously with a small screwdriver. Love the thought of epoxy strength in the corners.

Last edited by sammyha; 10-19-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raydee View Post
    Going to watch this one, I was thinking about buying one of these over the winter. The only difference for me is I have no interest in SAW running but I haven't seen many videos of the 38" running oval.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    It doesn't say how long, but this twin rigger has to be similar in length, if not longer. Turns with a rigger does not seem to be an issue...

https://youtu.be/mxRWXDSbB5E

Last edited by sammyha; 10-27-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Lots of battery room. Here's a pair of Revolectrix 5000mah, 3s lipos in there...

Here's SMC lipos with hard cases. A pair of 6000mah, 3s lipos. They fit laying down flat too...

Last of the upper strips and the tightest bend. Still keeping an eye for square sides. As Mike says, everything is so simple.

If I had to do it over, I would use 30 minute epoxy. With 15 minute epoxy it was a mad scramble from mixing to spreading, then placing the top plate on and securing it down with tape and weights. This certainly is an all out "whatever it takes" effort.

It looks like a successful bonding job none the less.

Last edited by sammyha; 10-07-2018 at 08:06 PM.

I've run some numbers on the OSE calculator. Here's a 6s motor, esc & prop setup I'm looking at.

This looks like it would run solidly in the 90's with a shot at triple digits. Mid eighties should be no problem.

Here's an 8s setup.

Looks like triple digits would be no problem at all...

Then there's this beast of a setup. Would it easily run 105mph with a 3.52 total pitch prop on 8s? Is that the sweet spot? 3.52 total pitch?

Or, is the 3.78 or 3.96 total pitch props the direction to go with a rigger? Smaller diameter, more pitch.

On 8s with a 2.94 total pitch prop it calculates to 87mph. How cool would that setup run turning laps?

Is 37,029 loaded rpm's on 8s too much?

Last edited by sammyha; 10-09-2018 at 11:20 AM.

Then I look at the watts on the TP Power 4060 V1(second picture, post #22) and wonder, is that the real beast?

Last edited by sammyha; 10-09-2018 at 11:22 AM.

I just put a TP 4060 in my Jae 33 and am waiting for some good weather to run it. In a 38" rigger I would go to the TP 4070 but that is just me.
    Team Liquid Dash

I just put a TP 4060 in my Jae 33 and am waiting for some good weather to run it. In a 38" rigger I would go to the TP 4070 but that is just me.
    What kv? And a 6s setup or 8s?

What esc are you going with. How many amps?

Are you talking about my Jae 33 setup or when I build the 8s ML380?
    Team Liquid Dash

Are you talking about my Jae 33 setup or when I build the 8s ML380?
    8s ML380. What kv and esc?

Depending on what your doing will probably be different than me because I don't do the SAW thing. We have buoys setup and run them even though we don't race. Personally I like the Castle Creations Edge 200 ESC's with home made water cooling. I try to run them in all my boats and have great luck with them. I would run the TP 4070 1220kv motor in mine but if you are into SAW then the 1400kv would work in my opinion and you could prop down to run oval.
    Team Liquid Dash

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast