Thread: Do radar guns work for accurate speed?

Default Do radar guns work for accurate speed?

Trying to decide between gps or radar gun? I know gps will work but it would be nice to just point and shoot with a radar gun and not have to take the time to remove tape from the hatch everytime to see speed. Making adjustments to look for improvements i.e. Prop change, trimming etc. on the spot would be much better with a radar gun if accurate. I see bushnell has one for around $50, about what I could get a cheap gps for. Thanks.

I’ve been using Pocket Radar for a few years now and its been great for prop testing and it fits in a shirt pocket, it only has range for the front straightaway but it’s pretty handy confirming speed when you think a prop is a little faster (or slower).
    https://www.pocketradar.com/collecti.../classic-radar

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

I have been looking at the "Pocket Radar" for some time. When you say range for a front straightaway what kind of distance do you get a reading from?
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

The boats have to be coming towards you or going away from you for radar to work, from our pits it can reach both ends of our course on the front straight. There are a couple guys using them now usually for speed at the end of the straight into turn one.
    So to answer your question I’d say it’s about 150’, from the pits to turn one.

Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Whatever you do, don't buy that $90 Bushnell...not even close to accurate. That pocket radar looks good. The next one up from that is a Stalker ll, but at $550, pretty expensive.

Why not get an RCM telemetry set from here? You can get speed from it straight to your phone, also other data. No need to untape untill battery change.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...d=ose-83279-v2
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Waiting for the IPhone version :)

Namba District 16

Quote Originally Posted by pescador View Post
    Waiting for the IPhone version :)

Just buy a cheap android to go with the unit!

Radar involves geometry, another factor that can lead to inaccurate readings. At your price range, a high sample rate GPS wil likely be your most accurate option.
    Last edited by fweasel; 09-28-2018 at 12:21 AM.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Why not get an RCM telemetry set from here? You can get speed from it straight to your phone, also other data. No need to untape untill battery change.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...d=ose-83279-v2
    That looks like a lot of added weight and it probably won't work in a carbon hull...so I'm out.

The rcm telemetry works really well, but weight does become an issue with it especially for smaller hulls. Adding the telemetry gear and battery for it significant weigh things down. For larger hulls it's perfect. Anything under 40" hull I wouldn't use the rcm.

Just call the sheriff patrol and he will do it with his gun lol (maybe), Just had that happen, was running the boat at a Sams club pond, had a few cars stop to watch when the cops showed up (figured I was going to get kicked out) He asked if I was chasing the geese, said "there are none here at the moment". Asked how fast? said "no gps so not sure, but running great" He said "hold on", retrieved his radar gun and said lets see what my gun says. 56mph by his gun (mc,v3, ss 3460? 2075kv, 6s3p, 120amp esc, m445b/s) Cop said "good going, I will get these cars out of here and you can continue on, while I watch"
    If it was 56 great, but I'm only after a decent speed/time to start offshore in the upcoming year, Need to run on 4s with decent times/mph with acceleration and motor compatible with local club.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder29 View Post
    The rcm telemetry works really well, but weight does become an issue with it especially for smaller hulls. Adding the telemetry gear and battery for it significant weigh things down. For larger hulls it's perfect. Anything under 40" hull I wouldn't use the rcm.
    I have used it in my Pursuit, so it will work fine in smaller hulls, and I have the unit set up in a small plastic food container. As for battery, you can just tap into the main battery balance lead, then you get a 2 cell voltage reading on the telemetry as well. The weight of the unit is only a few grams, and the extra weight has next to no impact on a boats performance.

Quote Originally Posted by pescador View Post
    The boats have to be coming towards you or going away from you for radar to work, from our pits it can reach both ends of our course on the front straight. There are a couple guys using them now usually for speed at the end of the straight into turn one.
    So to answer your question I’d say it’s about 150’, from the pits to turn one.

That has been my observation when using a hand held speed gun.. angles show a higher MPH reading IMO
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Some radar guns have an off axis setting to account for an angled approach. Still another potential source of error though.

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Some radar guns have an off axis setting to account for an angled approach. Still another potential source of error though.
    I wonder how much an accurate gun would cost?
    I might invest in one depending on the price for one.. love trying to get GPS numbers when members are testing and tuning boats
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

I have used cheap Bushnell radar guns in the past and compared them to on board GPS units and as long as you are pointing the radar gun the right way the readings were just as accurate as the GPS unit.

I still use this one all the time.
    https://www.bushnell.com/Products/Sp...un/?sku=101911

I find the key for accurate reading is to be pointing the gun in one direction with the boat either coming straight at the gun or away from it and not moving the radar gun at all.
    Team Liquid Dash

Quote Originally Posted by Raydee View Post
    I have used cheap Bushnell radar guns in the past and compared them to on board GPS units and as long as you are pointing the radar gun the right way the readings were just as accurate as the GPS unit.

I still use this one all the time.
    https://www.bushnell.com/Products/Sp...un/?sku=101911

I find the key for accurate reading is to be pointing the gun in one direction with the boat either coming straight at the gun or away from it and not moving the radar gun at all.
    That is the one I have, and I agree they show good numbers when I point the gun inline with the boat coming at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    I wonder how much an accurate gun would cost?
    I might invest in one depending on the price for one.. love trying to get GPS numbers when members are testing and tuning boats
    Stalker ll...$550

Years ago we had A Stalker II,a good one but then we bought the Pro unit and figured out the difference ($1500) in price and asccuracy......The NEW Futaba 7PX is another great option.Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br