Thread: New guy from SE Idaho

Default New guy from SE Idaho

Hopefully this is as good a place as any to say hi. I ran a number of RC boats about 20 something years ago, but life and work kinda caused me to put them on the back burner and on the shelf. Jump forward to today, I've got the urge to get them wet again. Unfortunately, they're going to need to be prettied up a bit and some running gear upgrades done. My small boat is what I believe to be one of the old Dumas wood Hotshot tunnel boats which ran a K&B modified 3.5 OB. Next up is the Prather Lap Cat II, which still runs a K&B modified 7.5 OB. Finally, I have another unknown brand hull I got from my brother, which had a K&B 7.5 OB on it, but the motor went South. I'm looking to convert the Hotshot and the unknown hull to electric power, using the K&B lowers, and get them back on the water. These are projects that will take some time to get right, I'm sure. Having never run electric, I'll be picking your brains for info on getting them set up, motors, ESC's, batteries, and the like. These will all be fun boats, not racing caliber, but I like performance so I want to do them right. I'll try and get some pictures up, they won't be pretty, but it'll give everyone a reference for my start point.

Thanks for having me, keep the shiny side up and the power side down.
    Last edited by Hotshot; 10-04-2018 at 10:30 PM.

hello and welcome.
    this is a fun and great place for info.
    i've been here longer than my Reg suggests. some times peeps get back to you fairly quickly, sometimes crickets.
    when i first started in on the FE side, i didn't think there was much to these models, Oh! i was wrong. but are they a hoot to see your efforts pay off.
    any Ol' ways welcome again and have a good time here.
    You have some pretty places there for boating, i have been there once when i was around thirteen.
    you'll have this down quick enough, i enjoy building these more than playing with them.

Hay, welcome to OSE forums. I raced a Sprint way back when too. So of coarse when I got back into RC boats I had to put a nutter one together. I don't race now, ain't a tunnel boat race with in 200 miles of me maybe further. That said, I do want them to fall with in a race class and hopefully be able to make race distance plus competitive speeds none the less, even if its last place lol. I set my Sprint up to meet NAMBA P-Limited class rules. Fuel = a single 4S, 5000mah, 50c lipo, fuel pump Seeking 120 amp ESC. Power HD water proof 23kg servo. Atop my K&B 3.5cc lower sits a AquaCraft 36x56mm 2030/kv motor. Prop, I most always use a sharpened/balanced stainless P-215, I've got my CoG at 7 1/2". With that set up I see a top speed of 46mph(gps), favorite little boat.
    disclaimer at that speed and the diminutive size of that little tunnel its a flat water only rocket. Good luck have fun.
    PROBOAT BlackJack 24", ShockWave 26"
    MRP U-31, 3 tunnels VS1, MRP Bud Light, Dumas HS Sprint

Thanks for the welcomes, guys. The Dumas is going to be the main project over the Winter. Phase one will be stripping her down, cleaning her up, and getting a new paint job in place. While that's going on, I'll be doing a lot of polishing on the K&B lower as well as getting all the pieces for the electric conversion together. Figuring out what motor, ESC, and batteries to go with will be the fun part. Since the radio is kinda out of date, I'm thinking now would be a good time to bring that into this century as well.

The Prather Lap Cat is actually in pretty good shape already, so a new paint job and radio is the priority there. The 7.5 K&B mod motor will stay for now. As to the no name hull, it needs everything, so we'll see where we stand after the first two boats are back in the water. Hopefully I can get some pictures up soon so everyone can see where we started.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
    Thanks for the welcomes, guys. The Dumas is going to be the main project over the Winter. Phase one will be stripping her down, cleaning her up, and getting a new paint job in place. While that's going on, I'll be doing a lot of polishing on the K&B lower as well as getting all the pieces for the electric conversion together. Figuring out what motor, ESC, and batteries to go with will be the fun part. Since the radio is kinda out of date, I'm thinking now would be a good time to bring that into this century as well.

The Prather Lap Cat is actually in pretty good shape already, so a new paint job and radio is the priority there. The 7.5 K&B mod motor will stay for now. As to the no name hull, it needs everything, so we'll see where we stand after the first two boats are back in the water. Hopefully I can get some pictures up soon so everyone can see where we started.
    i find it more challenging to restore or remodel these pleasure crafts plus i end up with more parts and materials to do the next.
    hope to see your pics soon stay warm but wet