Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blazer Marine Sport 20 Electric Build

Default Blazer Marine Sport 20 Electric Build

Hi all,

I'm building a Blazer Marine Sport 20 and I plan to make it an electric boat. I haven't been able to find out much information on how to build this boat as an electric, specifically where to place the motor and batteries and how to mount them. I'd love to find some pictures on how others have built this as an electric boat. Also any advice on what electronics to use would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
    Hi all,

I'm building a Blazer Marine Sport 20 and I plan to make it an electric boat. I haven't been able to find out much information on how to build this boat as an electric, specifically where to place the motor and batteries and how to mount them. I'd love to find some pictures on how others have built this as an electric boat. Also any advice on what electronics to use would be appreciated.

Thank you!
    Did you do a search on the forum. There should be dozens of threads with photos on the build? It was a very popular boat back on the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did...and a Google search. I only found a couple.

So if it was a popular boat back in the day...what's a popular boat now?

What are your intentions? People are gonna ask racing, saw, or playing at the lake. Also, you got batteries yet? If so, what size, cell and discharge. More info is needed.
    Vortex 22 hydro ammo 36-50
    Vortex Cyber Storm 33 P spec Mono AC 36-56
    PT SS-45 Q-hydro Neu 1527/1Y

It's still winning some races so it's not something back in the day imo, not yet.
    Nortavlag Bulc

2009 June 2010. Search this history.

Wish I never sold it. It's still being run today. It's been to USA and now west coast of Canada
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nortavlag Bulc

More pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ETOWNE View Post
    What are your intentions? People are gonna ask racing, saw, or playing at the lake. Also, you got batteries yet? If so, what size, cell and discharge. More info is needed.
    Well we don't do any organized racing but semi-organized...so I build for racing in general as I am a racer in other RC areas. I'll be running it primarily 4 cell with two 5000mah 60-120c batteries. I might go to 5 cell but if the speeds I've been reading about this boat are accurate I won't need to.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    That's one of the builds I did see. I like what you did with the carbon fiber/Kevlar cloth.

Ya, myself I would keep it 4s. It fits into Namba p class , 34” max and 4s 10,000 mah max. You can get on here for race results and racemaster results and see what is being run for p sport hydro close to you. Spec or limited is nice, under $100 for motor, esc doesn’t have to be huge. And, I watched a 4s Ltd rigger run Sunday, I was surprised when I heard proboat motor....thing was ripping around course, figured it was a neu motor...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ETOWNE View Post
    Ya, myself I would keep it 4s. It fits into Namba p class , 34” max and 4s 10,000 mah max. You can get on here for race results and racemaster results and see what is being run for p sport hydro close to you. Spec or limited is nice, under $100 for motor, esc doesn’t have to be huge. And, I watched a 4s Ltd rigger run Sunday, I was surprised when I heard proboat motor....thing was ripping around course, figured it was a neu motor...lol.
    Well nothing is being ran close to me in terms of an actual competitive venue. Though as a former race director on the car side I hope to remedy that once I get more experience on the boat side of things.

I hope to remedy that once I get more experience on the boat side of things.
    Very nice. I’ve been in this 3 months and 1 of the 2 clubs I belong to, voted me in vp Sunday. I always try to bring my best to whatever I’m into and it seems you’re pry the same. Kudos on that attitude. Looking forward to what you put in this as far as power.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    More pics
    Did you have any problems with the cowl? I'm finding mine doesn't sit flat in the back and the curve doesn't quite match the curve of the deck. Not sure how I'm going to fix that.

Not really. If you slide it back and forth, there is usually a spot where it matches. Can’t say if new ones are different.

Pictures?
    Nortavlag Bulc

I noticed at the hardware store there are some pigments you can get to mix into the epoxy. Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking I might do that so it looks cool and it should give me a good indication of how well the wood is sealed by how opaque the color is when applied.

Never tried it. It's a personal preference I guess??
    Nortavlag Bulc

Anyway to get fiberglass to flatten out more? I'm afraid if I use this cowl it will add tweak to the boat.

Here's mine... went with the UL-1 cowl like Detox.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...h-20-LSH/page4

I saw that previously and thought about doing that too. But now that the UL-1 has been discontinued it is going to get harder to get replacement parts for it. I assume you cut off the center nose parts and reshaped the form so it was uniform across the front. I was concerned that might move the motor too far back.

My current thinking is that I am going to build my own cowl. The stock one isn't fitting properly and I don't want to do too many modifications from original until I get more experienced at this.

Anyway to get fiberglass to flatten out more? I'm afraid if I use this cowl it will add tweak to the boat.
    You can use a hair dryer or heat gun to change the shape some.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    You can use a hair dryer or heat gun to change the shape some.
    Thanks I'll give that a try.

I'm having a hell of a time with the nose. I just can't get all the bending pieces to hold together for long. I glue and clamp everything together...let it dry over night (30min epoxy)...take off the clamps in the morning and by the time I get home from work it all came apart again Even tried it with slow zap CA glue too and that didn't hold either.

Are you sanding and prepping all pieces where epoxy will be? The epoxy needs the rough to bond too. And BTW, 30 min epoxy is not to great. Usually kind of thick and does not bond as well. Steve sells Z-poxy here or there is West Systems or System Three. Look to a local marine/hardware store. 24hr cure is best. I started with a ‘Cold Cure’ set of epoxy/hardener by System Three. It was the smallest portion that I could find.
    Last edited by srislash; 10-09-2018 at 09:25 AM.

I'm using 30 minute Z-poxy. Everything was sanded prior to gluing...then sanded again to remove the glue so I could glue again. I'll give it one more try with the Z-poxy. If that doesn't work I'll look for a 24hr epoxy.

Fingers crossed this holds. I re-glued the front end and it held long enough to get the former piece removed. After that I did a thin layer of fiberglass so hopefully that will hold it better long term. I also figured out a better way to clamp everything using bamboo chop sticks.

Nice, I was going to say perhaps acetone. I just used it on my AC Boats hull and it totally softened the FG up. Hoping for a better bond there.

Everything looked good this morning when I left for work. When I got home part of the nose had come undone again At least this time it is just a small part. Re-gluing it now...hopefully for the last time.

Ok this time everything held :) so far...

Now that the website is working properly again I can add pics for my build:

20180903_101643.jpg

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast