Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Blazer Marine Sport 20 Electric Build

Ok so I finished the bottom pieces of the boat last night and for the most part it came out pretty good. But as I expected where the side piece and the bottom front piece meet up isn't so good and I'm going to need to fill in some area. What should I use to fill it in? I have some automotive Bondo but I heard that isn't good to use for marine applications...so should I use a wood putty/filler or marine Bondo? Thanks!

Marine RX - Epoxy Repair

You can get it at West Marine
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...43?recordNum=1

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Thanks guys!

Well good news guys...I looked at the bottom again after some more sanding and the gap looked like it was fixable. So I used an Xacto knife, cut away the epoxy, re-glued and re-clamped the piece in that one spot and now it is nicely closed up. I'll still need to do some filling to correct the curvature near the top but all in all it's looking pretty good. Now I just need to start epoxy coating the inside to seal it up.

Made some more progress on my Whip 20. I sealed the inside of the sponsons with epoxy. I used a white epoxy dye mixed in with the Zap finishing resin not for aesthetics but to make it easier to see where I didn't coat it well enough. Up next...mounting the turn fin. I'm really happy with the turn fin I picked up but I'm not thrilled about the mounting bracket...so I'm debating if I want to round it out a little bit so it doesn't look so chunky.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is it possible to thin epoxy and spray it with a spray gun? That sure would make sealing the rest of the boat easier.

yes you can spray thinned epoxy but really the brush on method is better as you are working the epoxy into the timber grains etc and not just letting the spray rest on top and not penetrate properly.

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    yes you can spray thinned epoxy but really the brush on method is better as you are working the epoxy into the timber grains etc and not just letting the spray rest on top and not penetrate properly.
    Thanks. I"m a bit concerned with the finish...inside the sponsons isn't going to matter how ugly it looks so long as it does the job. But inside the main compartment I'd like to make it look nicer.

when you use a slower finish epoxy like the zapp finishing resin , when you apply this by brush and its not thinned out like your first 1 or 2 coats of sealer were the finishing resin will self level to form a nice smooth finish providing you have lightly sanded the areas so all is smooth. for all exterior finish areas i would use a spray not brush.

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    when you use a slower finish epoxy like the zapp finishing resin , when you apply this by brush and its not thinned out like your first 1 or 2 coats of sealer were the finishing resin will self level to form a nice smooth finish providing you have lightly sanded the areas so all is smooth. for all exterior finish areas i would use a spray not brush.
    I didn't thin out my first few coats. I just brushed it on...was I supposed to? I'm thinking on switching to West Marine epoxy...probably for the outside...maybe for the rest of the inside. The Zap finishing resin isn't clear so when I add dye to it the color changes.

it is better for the first cot to be very thin so it can soak into the timber grain well, the next coat can be a little thicker . use a 2 pack polyurethane clear for your final coats as its crystal clear and very good.

Great I'll do that on the rest of the boat...what do I thin it with?

normally if your using a 2 pack part you need the matching thinners to suit but a general purpose thinner will work ok.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234