Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project: Ugly Cat

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Gene I have Blown away set to 7/16” to prop shaft centreline. 1/4” from bottom of strut to table. Long round strut.
    Great info, thanks Shawn

Shawn, have you had any trouble with hull cracking at or around the point of attachment on smaller internal vertical braces, like the one you're using under the front deck of this build? I ask because the amount of stiffness the stringers added to my Genesis has me sold on the practice, but other builders have warned me about small contact area vertical bracing due to the concentrated pressure they can apply to the hull during after a good smack.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Shawn, have you had any trouble with hull cracking at or around the point of attachment on smaller internal vertical braces, like the one you're using under the front deck of this build? I ask because the amount of stiffness the stringers added to my Genesis has me sold on the practice, but other builders have warned me about small contact area vertical bracing due to the concentrated pressure they can apply to the hull during after a good smack.
    I fit them very carefully and let the bond hold them. I never wedge them in! Using this practise I have not had any issues. I think if you crammed the pieces in it would put pressure on the hull and give spider cracks, I would imagine anyway. And I’ve done a number of them now, it started with Little Miss G. The Geico twin. Oh nope, one befor that,my Shocker, lol

I figured I’d show the servo mount and how I like to neatly adhere them. This I picked up from Tony(Properchopper) a number of years back.
    Thanks Tony.

I have been having small issues getting good bonds on the AC hulls. Just a bit of extra prep needed. I sand it well and for good measure I have been putting scratches in the hull with my Exacto blade to give the epoxy a bite.

I lay out the tape and do that in a way that I can pull it off easy once the epoxy is starting to harden some. Prep the servo mount by sanding where the epoxy will be then apply epoxy to the mount and to the hull floor and place the mount on let the epoxy do its thing. A few hours later I pull the tape and then let it harden overnight.

And wala, complete:

Pretty

Where do you get those sexy rod ends?

Post#30 Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by bhorowitz View Post
    Where do you get those sexy rod ends?

Can also get rod ends from RC4WD.

Thanks, missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by bhorowitz View Post
    Thanks, missed that.
    Sure thing. They have nice stainless steel rod ends.

I managed a pretty nice hatch install, it slips on at the front and put bolts at the rear. I doubt I’ll need anything but hatch tape in the middle as this hatch is hefty.

I do a layer of FG cloth between the Tnut and hull then one over the works of it. I actually drilled holes in the base of it and threaded some cloth thru that as well.

Allright! It’s back ON!!! I got my mount from Dave over at HRC

Turns out the motor Center to Center was 3mm wider than I set my struts at. Oops somewhere but oh well. So I widened the holes for strut brackets a tad and remounted it all. But I decided to put a gasket in between ala party balloons, haha. Now this also works for my seal on the pushraods. For how long IDK but I liked the idea!

And I’ve decided to do away with the blue lid by painting it Black/Silver I think. Thinking a stripe right through the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Allright! It’s back ON!!! I got my mount from Dave over at HRC

Turns out the motor Center to Center was 3mm wider than I set my struts at. Oops somewhere but oh well. So I widened the holes for strut brackets a tad and remounted it all. But I decided to put a gasket in between ala party balloons, haha. Now this also works for my seal on the pushraods. For how long IDK but I liked the idea!

And I’ve decided to do away with the blue lid by painting it Black/Silver I think. Thinking a stripe right through the boat.
    No need to widen holes just bend the stuffing box no big deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    No need to widen holes just bend the stuffing box no big deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m just being anal here Chris as I’m trying to keep things as true as I can. I’m going in the endurance direction on this one.

I made side rails for the mounts from 1/8” CF

Bolted it together with stainless bolts as the collets interfered with Hex head cap screws

Then all aligned and tacked in then FG’d in

Stuffing tubes bent and sized. I went with the larger 1/4” drive struts in hopes of getting bearings in there for the cables to run on but I couldn’t find a proper fitting bearing. So I sized the appropriate tube and strategically soldered them together. I am also going to try CraigP’s seal system on the prop end. Maintenance will be the reasoning here.

I have the tubes epoxied in so here they sit till tomorrow :

I also got my lipo sleds yesterday (ala fweasel) so they are getting sized up in the background. They are gonna work nice!

You’re looking committed now! Super clean job!

Are you gonna glass the stuffung tube slots where they exit the hull?
    I would expect potential trouble there if you had to adjust the strut height or angle much.

I love the steering rods exiting one of the strut bolt holes!!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    You’re looking committed now! Super clean job!

Are you gonna glass the stuffung tube slots where they exit the hull?
    I would expect potential trouble there if you had to adjust the strut height or angle much.

I love the steering rods exiting one of the strut bolt holes!!
    I am filling some reinforcement into the bottom side Jesse as well as contemplating tube braces on top. Fortunately I have the BlownAway R42 hull for reference so I’m thinking not much adjustment should be needed. I have a few years on BlownAway and haven’t needed to you know adjustment yet.

Been pretty active on the boat as of late. I made some parts to hide the Rx gear and help strengthen the servo mount

I have been having better performances from ESC’s when they are paralleled. Also more even battery drain. I don’t think anything has to be overkill on this so this is what I did this time:

And this is it all installed:

So I did hit the water with this... briefly!! I forgot to charge the Rx lipo so it didn’t last long (HK ships them near dead). And one ESC is actually fresh out of the box so needs programming, this shall happen this morning and we shall hit water Saturday morning.

I was intending on just using hatch tape on this one but I think I’ll give a seal a shot, if it works well I’ll throw some paint at that hatch.

All the little carbon bits around the servo look really nice Shawn. What thickness carbon plate is that?

Tell me more about the ESC setup. You just ran power wires between the two and tied the power leads together? Seems easy enough.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

All the little carbon bits around the servo look really nice Shawn. What thickness carbon plate is that?

Tell me more about the ESC setup. You just ran power wires between the two and tied the power leads together? Seems easy enough.
    1.5mm CF used Ryan. The ESC’s I have found just sync up better when joined. Discovered this on my twin mono.
    Both motors lit up in unison once o did this. Quite simple really, just find the shortest path possible to run cable to get them paralleled. The Fantasm shall be receiving this treatment as well.

Ok, I might give that a shot. This weekend's task is wiring up my ESC's now that I've settled on a mounting location. Thanks.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Ok, I might give that a shot. This weekend's task is wiring up my ESC's now that I've settled on a mounting location. Thanks.
    And that’s the hardest part isn’t it? Settling!

Well here is the vid from this morning, I have done some adjustments on the radio since, it needs some tweaking. Be back ou5 in the morning again.

Ok I’m going to say that my pushrod seal idea was a bust. Water pushes thru in a spin out or say a airborne trip.
    And the problem here is that the Rx is just inside those holes. Futaba has always been touchy to water for me. Anyway a long story short, I sunk the boat. I did my run and was planning on putting my foam in next (put foam in first !!!, before CG is established), I know this but just wanted to run.

I did bring the boat back after this flip and all seemed good, so back out it went and just stopped in the middle. I went home for kayak and returned to find it close enough to cast the rod and weight to. Got it within 25ft of Dock when it went nose up and then down.
    Then the water ski crew showed and I couldn’t get to it again till yesterday after work. I got it but...

So the but...: ESC’s, main packs, and Rx, pooched.
    I’m going to try to revive the packs because I got my RX pack back to snuff.

That's a bummer Shawn. I understand how it feels after destroying a bit of stuff already this year, mostly due to not making sure I did what I knew I should do. Even still we take shortcuts and stuff things. Nothing like having to give yourself a kick for dumb stuff aye?
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

oh man, that hurts. Let's leave the balloons for the parties.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

oh man, that hurts. Let's leave the balloons for the parties.
    Agreed, well it’s all cleaned up, motors with new bearings. Aluminum will always show the trip from the deep. I thought I had a couple choices in HV ESC’s yet here but all I have is the Etti 220’s. Way overkill so perhaps just new 120’s

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast