Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Project: Ugly Cat

Wow, that was a fast turn around.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Wow, that was a fast turn around.
    I happen to have some free time for now. I’ll see if I can get some Etti 120’s sent out quick unless anyone has experience with the YEP HV 120’s?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    That's a bummer Shawn. I understand how it feels after destroying a bit of stuff already this year, mostly due to not making sure I did what I knew I should do. Even still we take shortcuts and stuff things. Nothing like having to give yourself a kick for dumb stuff aye?
    I just beat myself up till I get it back and start the mending/improving. Then it’s back to a challenge. What amazes me though is electrolysis. Man it shows itself under water. That was just 30hrs.

So I got this fix for rudder rod boots figured. First a 5/16” end Mill on the drill press

Then an old trick of putting a piece of brass tube inside the boot end before pulling it Thru the 5/16 hole. This is tricky but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    I happen to have some free time for now. I’ll see if I can get some Etti 120’s sent out quick unless anyone has experience with the YEP HV 120’s?
    Hi Shawn
    I have a YEP HV 180 and 120 esc's. It took me ages to figure out the programming as the program card has two levels of programs. You have to read through the program card instructions to learn this as it is not mentioned in the esc programming instructions.
    The only issue I have had with the 180 (I haven't used the 120 yet) is the start up speed. Because they are a watercooled plane/heli esc the start up is quite slow, even when programmed at max. It is ok in a mono, likely be alright in a cat, but no good for a hydro that needs a punch on the throttle to get it up out of the water. Otherwise they work ok and have a anti-spark built in which is quite good with HV.
    Did you consider the Seaking 130 HV esc?
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Thanks for that Peter. So they are opposite of an Etti then. Which is hard to get a smooth takeoff with. Although on this last setup I set to slow start and it wasn’t too bad. I had heard good things about the YEP’s awhile back and read up on RCG last night before placing my order. $110 a piece helps take the sting out of the mishap. And I hadn’t seen the anti spark thing, that is cool. I think I had read these had the ‘active freewheeling’ too some time back, we shall see.

BTW, batteries are coming along, two 4s packs charged and half of a 6. Not sure on the internal resistance now tho. But it’s worth a go.

Ok I got the YEP’s here and hey!!!, I can fit these where I originally wanted the ESC’s. I will put a couple standoffs down to hold the ESC’s up 1/4” off the tunnel floor. They will get a good waterproof job as well as per Peter’s advice. I need to wait for the programmer to arrive from China, ESC’s were in US but no programmer. Damn!

Here is what I’ll be after:

Allright, so some water testing of foam and I’ve determined that this is plenty of foam to hold this boat up: I may add a chunk to the lid for that ‘just in case’ feeling

Foam is on my list of things to do for my current build. Any notion I had of just getting a few quick test passes in before doing so are out the window now!
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Foam is on my list of things to do for my current build. Any notion I had of just getting a few quick test passes in before doing so are out the window now!

No doubt, this one stung a bit. I had like 3 of my ‘I should have’ going thru my head!
    #1: I shouldn’t have run without foam
    #2: I shouldn’t have run after the flip
    #3: I should have just taken the kayak out to retrieve(that is the costly one).

Oh well if it wasn’t for ‘the hard way’ I wouldn’t know half of what I do! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Oh well if it wasn’t for ‘the hard way’ I wouldn’t know half of what I do! Haha
    So true
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Well I did a few things with the ESC’s. Put barbs on the tubes and gave a few shots of urethane waterproofing. I also got the aluminum badge plate sunk in onto the fets. They kinda stuck the plate onto the tubes with heat conducting tape but it doesn’t touch the fets. Weird, so I remedied

I glued down with heat transfer silicone

I also installed a bit of a cap bank

29A0BBD3-DF65-453F-85D2-56D3ADB01191.jpg

And got my mounting ‘feet’ in for the ESC’s

DEAC530A-2176-4384-A400-D0B5440DBAD2.jpg

And installed everything. Good to go!!

image.jpg

So it went out on the water today, https://youtu.be/JBZuVVDELZY
    I feel it is a running a tad wet. A little cg adjustment is in order

It likes to turn, that's for sure. Good to see it back out and running
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

yes a different beast than the HPR for sure

Ryan, I should add that I set LVC to 3.4 on these ESC’s and they kicked off, I brought it in and when home packs were at 20% and 3.75.per cell, just mint!!.

Hi Shawn
    Your start up seems real quick, much more so than I have been able to get. What setting did you use, if you can remember?

Hi Shawn
    Your start up seems real quick, much more so than I have been able to get. What setting did you use, if you can remember?
    Sorry to take a bit Peter but I wanted to check ESC’s to be certain. I went with ‘plane fast’ and 32%

I think that is what I set mine at. Will have to check it when I set the esc up in a boat again shortly.

I think that is what I set mine at. Will have to check it when I set the esc up in a boat again shortly.
    Well I tagged the throttle hard this morning and damn near put it on it’s lid. Should have had the camera on!

So I was playing with props a couple weeks back and ended up with a set of ABC1916’s on which were cut to 47mm. Not sure what speed I had a couple weeks back(55 I think) but today I had 61.8mph. That would be once it aired out and when I discovered the need for a longer rudder. I went thru this on BlownAway. The rudder is ‘tucked’ a little so I’ll try pulling it back and see if that will bring the nose down for the corner. Anyway here is today’s vid:

Nice. It's certainly running smoother, you can hear it.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Nice. It's certainly running smoother, you can hear it.
    Yes it is coming along, I thought that those props were 1916’s@47mm but as it turns out they are 1815’s. Mixed up the prop box somewhere. I put a set of full 1915’s on in search of a little more runtime and whoa!!! It ripped and got flighty. Motors were warmer for sure. Not really looking for SAW here so maybe back to 447’s. Next weekend for more testing.
    Also, once aired out it did not want to turn without a throttle blip so I relocated the rudder closer to transom. Totally helps but touchy as all get out. And I already had expo and travel tuned down.

And for the viewing pleasure https://youtu.be/QfeesV4yvps

So 10s 2p per side??

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    So 10s 2p per side??
    1p per side. And right now I’ve got Revo 435 gopacks @4400mah but charged to 4.20 they are really only holding 3700’ish mah.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123