Thread: battery trays

Default battery trays

How do I remove the battery trays that came with the new Genesis 1045 boat? What do you recommend as replacements? Should I lay in a new layer of fiberglass cloth between the upper and lower hull?

Assuming they're glued in like the ones in my 37", I cut them into pieces with a dremel cutoff wheel, and then used a sanding drum to grind down the mounting tabs. Mine were glued in solid and prying was only going to crack the gelcoat on the hull. OSE sells different length carbon battery trays. I used a set of the longer ones and attached them with black aquarium silicone.

As for reinforcement, the fiberglass tunnel on my Genesis was so flimsy, you could grab a hold of it from the inside and flex it with your fingers. I did a full carbon inlay and added a second layer over the tunnel. Solid as a rock now.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks

I also noticed when I received the boat that the silicone tubing is in mm. Is there a substitute ose sells that will interchange. otherwise shipment could take weeks from the manufacture of the boat

Use any cooling hose you want, most people rip out all the stock stuff and use something with a larger inner diameter in a fancy color.

Can you do a carbon fiber overlay on a fiberglass boat? If so, where do I purchase the fabric and the resins for such a project? Does this product apply like fiberglass products?

Quote Originally Posted by thtoolman View Post
    Can you do a carbon fiber overlay on a fiberglass boat? If so, where do I purchase the fabric and the resins for such a project? Does this product apply like fiberglass products?
    It does apply the same as FG but takes a bit longer to wet out, and is a bit less pliable. Adheres just fine to the DG boat as long as prepped well(sanded,cleaned, and wiped with acetone).