Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noobie questions

Default Noobie questions

Hi Guys, I'm new to RC boats. Not new to rc, I've stick built and flone planes, kit built and raced trucks for a few years now. About a year ago a friend got a M41 and has been on me ever since to get one. well it's time! So i've been researching and lurking around this forum learning. And learning a lot!! Thanks!!
    I like the looks of the oval and offshore racing, I think novice class, of course, and P class. More than just SAW. Starting with a cat hull, I know steep learning curve!! But i like a challenge! I've got it down to 2, i like the pro marine MTR and OSE's cheetah, which they have a couple in stock, with the 4082 1600kv power option. What is the general opinion about these? Or am i over thinking all of this and should just get a veles 29 and be done? I have a futaba 4pls so buying a RX and a servo to install is not a problem.
    I know this is long winded, I'm a little OCD, tend to over ananlyze and explain things! Sorry! Any opinions, suggestion or comments welcomed!!! The knowledge base here is amazing and i look forward to learning more!!
    I'm plaing to attend a club race in indy sunday lookin forward to that, also next saturday there is one in cinci. Hopefully learn more after both of those events!!
    Thanks again in advance!!
    Brian
    They said this hobby was addictive! I had no idea!!!
    If i posted this in the wrong place i'm sorry! Please redirect me! Thanks

You really can't go wrong with any of the boats you mentioned.

My 2 cents on this...I've heard that there is a lot of problems and upgrades needed on the M41, it's a good starter boat but that's it. The MTR or In my opinion the cheetah is a good one. As far as racing class and best set up the more experienced would have to chime in.
    SW26 V3 Green 35mph , Swifter Hydro 26. Delta Force 35. cars ,3 Rustlers 45-76 Mph.

hey BP, I own a M41 and have had it a few months. Great boat, easy to work on and runs 50mph. I put an aluminum cooling jacket on the motor and a cooling fan on the ESC. Have ran it a dozen times with no problems... An alloy prop is next. Welcome to the obsession...

For racing Oval or Offshore
    4S2P -5000 Giant Power Graphene packs
    Cheetah CAT.
    TP 4060 -1950kv or TP 4070 - 2080kv
    ABC- 1915-17-45 Prop

Larry
    Last edited by TRUCKPULL; 09-22-2018 at 05:37 PM.
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Now that's a race winning setup, if ever I saw one.

Is there any reason you go with the 2080kv d wind over the 2200kv y motor?
    Wondering because Ive been using the castle 1515 motors for years but they are getting harder to find sensorless and when you do 75% of the time they are fakes.
    Have been thinking of changing over to the TP motors but was going to go with the 2200KV motor for my cheetah.
    white geico w/2200kv 3674 leopard 53.5mph 4s2p, geico w/ 1800kv outrunner 52mph on 4s2p, genesis w/2200kv castle 53.8 on 4s2p, impulse 31 w/2200kv castle, stock p1 and ul-1

Welcome Brian

Yup, addicting alright - in a good way !

I'll confirm the vote(s) for the Cheetah - It's not only solid & fast but wide enough to negotiate ovals. Great P-Cat & P-Offshore choice.

As far as what motor to choose, in my own experience (to answer previous post ) I pretty much stuck with the 2200KV 1Y motors but after a while stepped up (to stay in line with the competition) to the 1521 1.5D. THEN I had a chance to audition the TP Power 4060 2040KV "D" wind* and haven't looked back since. I switched the Neu in my Cheetah to the 2040 KV 4060 and it's love ! I used a Oct 452/2 to set the NAMBA 2-Lap record and it didn't break a sweat [the TP Power 4070 is a monster and is overkill for P-Class in my opinion].

* My TP Power 4060 D 2040KV is an older wind - now marketed as the 4060 1950KV - very close/similar

Old vid with a 447/3 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl5ebHR6wR4
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

OK! Sold me on it Proper just like you did on the hull when I asked about a big mono build. I should learn the first time but why start changing this late in the game.
    white geico w/2200kv 3674 leopard 53.5mph 4s2p, geico w/ 1800kv outrunner 52mph on 4s2p, genesis w/2200kv castle 53.8 on 4s2p, impulse 31 w/2200kv castle, stock p1 and ul-1

Quote Originally Posted by stadiumyamaha View Post
    OK! Sold me on it Proper just like you did on the hull when I asked about a big mono build. I should learn the first time but why start changing this late in the game.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Hi guys Thanks for all your replys and suggestions!! I do appreciate it!! I ran my buddys m41 on friday, it's nice, handled well and was fairly quick but, I'm wanting a better quality boat. Not that there is anything wrong with it!!! I did attend my first club race sunday!! WOW what a blast!!! And i just watched!! In the V hulls were mostly TFL pursuits and phantoms, the cats were skaters and one cheetah! And man that cheetah was fast and sexy!!! He must have talked to truckpull and properchopper cause he was running the 4060 1950kv set up!! not sure what prop, but he was smokin everyone!! A very nice fellow also and helpfull! The only problem i've incountered is my financial boss requested i hold off a few weeks!! Buzz kill!!! That does give me more time to deside and plan!! even if i do miss the clubs last race in october. I did check, OSE is out of the 4060 1950kv motors and the seaking 180 esc's. Is that the correct esc i should run with that motor option?
    Also is there any real advantage to a full carbon fiber hull?? I understand the CF layering on a FG boat. I know i'll have a lot more questions coming!
    Thanks again for all your help!! I do really appreciate it!!
    I'll keep ya'll updated with my progress!!!
    Brian

The 4060-1950 is fine with a 180 esc running on 4s. you don,t need a full carbon fibre hull unless you have extra dollars in your pocket.

Brian here is a picture of said fast and sexy Cheetah - That Cheetah was won at a Christmas giveaway and has been a couple of years of building it up to what it is today. Dad and lad hobby time. (White boat)

Cheetah.jpg

My advice, look at the club(s) you're going to be racing with. Decide what class or classes you want to run. Usually pick a class that has the most racers, this will most likely be the most rewarding because you will be racing more people. P and Plimited classes are usually the most popular. The beauty of a P mono or cat (and limited) is you can run the same boat in the sprint and offshore classes usually with just a modest prop change. I've seen cheetahs that run great, but I am partial to the Aeromarine sprintcat. Either way you will be happy. The Neu or TP motors are both good choices. The seaking 180 is good but the swordfish X220 is a nice unit too and gives you more headroom for amps. Don't rush your build ask more questions.
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Hi guys, trigger looks like the lad did well, great job for him!!! Mad mike, yep that's what I've been doing. The last race the most boats seemed to be in the p class both v and cat hulls. I think that's the class for me to start!! I saw a sprint cat for sale on the swap shop page along with a team believer and mean machine. I think the sprint cat and team believer are too long for the P class. the mean machine, while legal, I'm not too sure about. I don't have a problem getting an experienced boat or hull. that's probably the smart way to go for the first one!! Due to the request of my financial czar I will be takin my time!! HaHa!! Which gives me time to figure out which way to go!! I know that no matter what I get there is no way I'll start out winning races! that will only come with experience, practice and a little luck!! My goal for this adventure is to have fun!! And meet some cool people! I'm just trying to find the best base to start with!! Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!!! keep them coming!! And I'll keep asking questions!
    Brian

Brian.
    I love your outlook & philosophy. It will serve you well. Exactly how I embarked on my racing exploits, years ago.
    You WILL have fun. You WILL meet cool people. You WILL keep asking questions.

Plus you will spend your money.

Hi guys, Just a little update, small computer crash last week caused a small delay. went to the Cincinnati boat clubs fun float/run last Saturday. It was a good time, learned a lot more! It's a mostly gas club and hydroplanes. And I can definitely see a hydro build in the future!!! Electric of coarse!! Dang they look good!!! I don't think that is the place to start!! There is a question I have been wondering about, what is the difference between the NAMBA and the IMPBA groups? And why does there seem to be a little friction between them??? I hope that doesn't cause and trouble here, just trying to learn!!
    Well my quest continues!! And decisions need to be made, I think I know which boat though. And I'm ready to get started!!! Financial czar be damned!!(JK) Yes rol243 any fun hobby will take your money and we give it willingly!!!
    Thanks guys
    brian

There is a question I have been wondering about, what is the difference between the NAMBA and the IMPBA groups? And why does there seem to be a little friction between them???
    Ohoh!

For some reason people don't always get along! I know I am not even in the same hemisphere but the same sort of stuff happens everywhere. Best advice, find a great bunch of guys to boat with, join whichever organisation they have and don't get involved with the politics, it spoils the fun!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Best advice, find a great bunch of guys to boat with, join whichever organisation they have and don't get involved with the politics, it spoils the fun!
    Well said.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Well peter and fweasel that's the plan!!! It's just the 3 clubs around me have different groups. which really doesn't matter till I try to figure out what to build for a winter project. The cat hull boat has been chosen and pretty sure on a v hull option. after last weekend and looking at some of the build threads on the hydro page that has struck a chord!! With my airplanes I think I liked building them more than flying! so it's a double win for me!! The problem I've had is what size or scale! I'm wanting to keep in the p class range. For convienance all my trucks are set up for 2s lipo so 4s makes since. plus I like that size. But with the rules and different clubs they all seem to run different sizes! I'm probable over thinking this!! I just want to build one I can take, with the others, and run it in a race and have fun!!! was thinking that the ml boat works GSX338v2 kit looks good and fits all the perimaters. Does it perform and compeet well?? Guys let me know your opinions and suggestions!!! If I start heading in a wrong direction please let me know!! I'm here ta learn!!
    THANKS!!
    brian

I notice you're from Indiana. If you're anywhere near Indy, the Indy Admirals are a solid bunch of guys and are who I'd run with if I was close enough. I ran with them last winter for their Duel in the Pool event at Brownsburg High school and it was awesome.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Yeah he checked us out. You know us, we will run rubber band boats if that’s what people want to run and it’s what brings the smiles.

Most boats are limited power now, but if you bring it, Mike and I will find a way to run it. We normally have something in our fleet that can go head to head.

Oh fweasel are you going to come down again? You bought a rocket ship last time

Oh heck yeah. The glue on that boat was still drying and it was steering itself, what a mess. I cut the stinger way down, put a lower kV motor in, and its running much better now on 2S. Bringing the tug for the scale heats too! Can't wait
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Oh yeah, game on can’t wait

Yep I checked them out!! bout an hour away, not bad. And seemed like a good bunch!! Trigger I'll be there on the 21st. and i'll have a lot more question!! I'm sure that's where I'll be on the race weekends next season!!! Thanks guys!!
    brian

Hi guys, trigger did you mean in your club most of the boats running are in P limited?
    Thanks
    brian

Yup, other than p cat/p mono, and we used to do open class too (run what you brung) it’s all p limited (impba hybrid rule)

Ok thanks!! another question, if P and P limited have a 34" limit, what is the minimum? Say one was going to build a sport hydro to run P limited, what would be the minimum length? Or what would be the best length to build? I know I've got a lot of questions, after I type them they look dumb but it's the only way I know to get answers!
    thanks
    brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast