Thread: Absolute top performing RC Motor

Default Absolute top performing RC Motor

Hi guys,

I'm new to the RC world and also to this forum, but I'm on a quest to find the absolute best performing RC motors. Money is not an issue and they need to be slightly bigger than the half kilo ones. At the moment I'm looking at the Lehner 3000 series and especially the 30kW 1.65 kg one.

Are there any better options out there? They have a max power of atleast 30 kW.

I know it's a long shot but every help is welcome!

Cheers,

Dino

LMT is really the top dog. I think the TPpower 100 is substantially bigger but has many more poles.
    http://www.tppower.com/sort.asp?class_id=4&news=124

I’m not sure if Plettenberg has any offerings anymore

Plett still make motors.

What are you pushing with 30kw? That's like 40 horse.
    Noisy person

I'm actually looking for more power. In the region of 250-300 kW. Building a guided electric drag racer.

On the Plettenberg site they state that they have motors up to 26 kW/kg, but that seems rather impossible doesn't it?

I did a little hunting around. I looked at UQM, and Siemens sites. Not big enough. I did find a company that has a complete Tesla Model S drive system, a decent value
    This kit includes the Tesla motor, inverter, gear box, dash display and control unit (EV Controls), throttle pedal, and 2 axles.
    its a 400 Kw system. The complete system is important because the safety systems will need the correct inputs to function and close the contractors.

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=476
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

Lots of folk use 9-11" industrial motors for drag racing, their rating is an irelavence as it is for 24/7/365 use with minimal maintenance so big enough to run at ambient with little or no cooling, but capable of being run at many times their rating for a few seconds at a time with good cooling. Lots of drag racers are still using DC brushed motors for the better value, the instantanious torque, and the easy "2 speed" effect you can get from swaping from series to parallel at half track with dual coil brushed motors.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

NativePaul,
    True enough, most of the drag cars are using large brushed motors. The OP, Loop1993, was referring to power density. The brushed electric motor, while producing massive amounts of torque, has low mechanical power, and low efficency.
    Because of this is why I looked into the AC systems.
    I had no idea that that Tesla drive systems could be available aftermarket. Could make a hell of a performance conversion vehicle!

Thank you all for your responses! I have looked into everything you have said and trying to learn as much as possible. I have compared some of the motors and the high torque motors are actually performing pretty well for the goal I'm trying to achieve. NativePaul have you maybe got some examples of these brushed motors?

And Larryrose, and what specifications do you look when comparing the Tesla motor? Since my run will probably only last for 10 secsonds I'm looking for this high burst power. But with the specs I find online the weigth of the Tesla motor is actually too high to get a decent performance out of.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Quote Originally Posted by larryrose11 View Post
    NativePaul,
    True enough, most of the drag cars are using large brushed motors. The OP, Loop1993, was referring to power density. The brushed electric motor, while producing massive amounts of torque, has low mechanical power, and low efficency.
    Because of this is why I looked into the AC systems.
    I had no idea that that Tesla drive systems could be available aftermarket. Could make a hell of a performance conversion vehicle!
    Didn’t that Tesla drive system come from Mercedes? Do a YouTube search. There was a guy doing something similar and found one supplier was vastly less expensive than the other.
    Nortavlag Bulc

EVWest do the dual 11 warp motor, and Kostov Motors do a dual 9 and a dual 11, you can likely find them much cheaper if you put the efort into tracking down their industrial origins. White Zombie has used a dual 8 since 2005, I think that was where I first saw the concept, and he has a well documented build.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Loop1993 View Post
    Thank you all for your responses! I have looked into everything you have said and trying to learn as much as possible. I have compared some of the motors and the high torque motors are actually performing pretty well for the goal I'm trying to achieve. NativePaul have you maybe got some examples of these brushed motors?

And Larryrose, and what specifications do you look when comparing the Tesla motor? Since my run will probably only last for 10 secsonds I'm looking for this high burst power. But with the specs I find online the weigth of the Tesla motor is actually too high to get a decent performance out of.!
    True enough, the Tesla motor/ inverter are dialed back on performance to give a long service life. The gearbox is designed with this in mind for sure. What specifications did I use? None, other that spending some track time in a Model S. Nice drive dynamics for the most. I was thinking of that same drive system in something much lighter, like a used Lotus.

I have looked at allot of motors now. Conclusion is that the Lehner 3080 is one of the best performing. At the moment I'm looking at winding configurations and ESC's. From what I have seen the max RPM (mechanical) is 50K with gaurantee, but you can probably bump it up to 65K. Has anyone got experiences with working with these motors?

I want to get the highest power density out of these motors, and I saw the TMM - 80063 pass by, with the 800A continous and up to 15S it looked like a really promosing option. Is it possible to run the 3080 on 700 Amps and 63 Volts? With 5 windings max RPM should be about 65K. Otherwise I would have to look at different winding configurations. I'm also looking at better motor controllers (120V and 400A is also an option, would provide more torque but haven't found suitable ESC) If any of you have got some tips I'd be glad to hear them.

http://www.fliermodel.com/en/prc-show.asp?id=686

Flier also has a 400 amp version as well as a 800.

http://www.fliermodel.com/en/prc-show.asp?id=684

I have a pal close to me whom has a 400 running a 3060? I believe. It has been awesome for him. I only see 22s capability. Perhaps something toward a e-bike controller.
    I also had ran across a company out of Toronto that does brushless controllers. I’ll see if I saved thelinl somewheres.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    http://www.fliermodel.com/en/prc-show.asp?id=686

Flier also has a 400 amp version as well as a 800.

http://www.fliermodel.com/en/prc-show.asp?id=684

I have a pal close to me whom has a 400 running a 3060? I believe. It has been awesome for him. I only see 22s capability. Perhaps something toward a e-bike controller.
    I also had ran across a company out of Toronto that does brushless controllers. I’ll see if I saved thelinl somewheres.
    That souns very interesting, I will have a look at the Flier ESC. I also came across this one: https://alienpowersystem.com/shop/es...s-boat-esc-hv/.

Looks very promosing and very lightweight. Any experiences with this one?

Alien is the same ESC. Flier is the manufacture.

Some have had issues with the programming or initial startup on them but they are generally good functioning.

I have had a number of them and have a few 300’s on the shelf. I find they provide good power with minimal losses.

Still looking into the fliers, thinking of ordering one and testing it. I had another question, sometimes you see these high rpm motors with gearing, but so far I haven't found anything that comes close to handling 50K+ RPM. gears will probably melt together at that rpm. What are good gear manufacturers to look at?

When you bring up gearing it takes me back to my performance rc roots. I used to run AstroFlight stuff. I found this motor: https://www.astroflight.com/4535-ast...r-details.html

They used to have a very efficient gear system for their motors

Are you trying to build an electric drag car using low voltage? This doesn't make sense.
    You want 250-300kW here is what you need:
    https://www.amracinginc.com/dual-core
    Get a pair of these controllers to go along with it:
    http://www.rinehartmotion.com/upload...tasheet_1a.pdf

Using a bunch of ganged up RC motors is going to cause headaches galore.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

You might want to check with Tyler Garrard Here (RaceMechaniX), he recently had a Schulze 40.334 for sale.
    They are the best Hi amp controllers for the lehners that I have seen yet. Most of the controllers especially the
    Chinese are hit or miss at best and tend to be over-rated on their amperages. I would not waste my money on
    them considering the amperages that you are talking about here. The Schulze's however are under-rated.
    That being said, I do not believe any of the 3080 Lehner motors or any RC boat controllers can handle 800 amps.
    I am not very familiar with the Hi amp MGM's, but you may be expecting too much out of the current RC equipment.
    Ken
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"