Thread: What to replace old Spektrum DSM Transmitter with?

Default What to replace old Spektrum DSM Transmitter with?

Hey guys.

Ok I'm bamboozled by the sheer volume of spektrum radio models out there. I've got an old DX3C with the small LCD screen that I can program several model receivers into. Course - that technology has now been replaced.

I want to now start switching over to the new tech. But I just get lost in the different models and compatibility with this and not that etc etc etc...

Can someone recommend me a good mid-price Spektrum Trans and explain the reciever's I'll need to get. Just find it confusing every time I go to research it.

Thanks for the help.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

Do you want to stay with Spektrum brand? If you do, check out the DX4C or DX4S all with newer DSMR modulation. The DSMR is reportedly much better than the older DSM or DSM2. For boats you can get the inexpensive SR210 2 channel DSMR receiver. If you need a 3ch then an SR310 and SR410 for 4ch. These TX can be had for cheaper than suggested retail if you buy it used. In fact, there's is a DX4C w/ a SR410 RX for $70 shipped on the swap shop right now. You can also find them on the car section on RCGroups and also on RCtech. But, if you buy them new they will come with a nice 4Ch receiver.
    Last edited by Bp9145; 09-17-2018 at 12:13 PM. Reason: added RCGroups

Ok thanks Bp9145. I have a heap of older Spektrum recievers in boats. Mostly the old MR200's. Very trouble free until just lately where I suspect I've got a transmitter issue going on. I take it the old MR200's are not compatible with the DX4C or DX5C. Seems not if I read correctly. Locally (Australia) I can get a DX5C for around $200 which I guess I can stretch to. I did buy a proboat Zelos 36 last year, which did come with a DX4...... something (not at home right now). I could get away with that maybe??
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

If you want to keep your older MR200 do what I did, find an older DX4S that was manufactured before Jan1, 2015. If I remember correctly, you can check by looking for the serial number under the battery door. If the serial number has the letter W on it then it would not work. Also, you can verify the firmware by turning your Tx on, clicking the bar, scrolling all the way down to system, then click about, if it says firmware version R1.2, kernal R1.0. then you should be good. A friend told me this as I had a DX4S that worked with my marine receivers but updated the firmware and all of the sudden it wouldn't bind with my marine receivers. . .MR200 and MR3000. If you want to go to a DX4R pro that would work as well as my DX4R pro still works with my MR200 and MR3000. But the DX4S that does work with your MR200 will also work with the DSMR receivers. Then I believe the DX4C still works with the marine receivers as well as with the DSMR in case you want to take advantage of the DSMR receivers down the road as they are better. Take a MR200 receiver with you to your LHS and find out if it will bind with a newer DX4C. Also, all these TX new or older can be had for much less than $200. . . .more like just slightly over a $100 for a DX4S or DX4R pro or mostly likely under a $100 for used DX4C w/ a DSMR RX, like the one here on the swap shop that just sold for $70 shipped. GOOD LUCK Terry.

That's epic Bp9145. Thanks a heap for setting all that out for me. Appreciated mate. I think all the LHS's near me have moved on to the DX5C's which have the rrp of $200 odd. Will most definitely check 2nd hand options though if I can get a handset talking to my old receivers. Shipping to me here often negates cheaper unit prices from the web but still worth looking for sure. Hope I do get lucky :-)
    PERTH AUSTRALIA