Thread: Not sure what kit this is or how to convert....suggestions welcome

Default Not sure what kit this is or how to convert....suggestions welcome

Picked up this little gem yesterday. Previous owner does not know brand or anything about it other than it took a KnB gas engine before. The engine mount still exists on the back for the KnB motor so I wonder if I can use it for my electric conversion. 31 inch, fiberglass build and lhs dates it to the 1970s so its vintage...any help to take the guesswork out of my power requirements would be great. Anyone recognize this kit? This is my first boat after years of RC planes so I am not new to RC ... just boats. I would love a scale outboard look too with engine cover. Current research and calculators have determined a 2750 KV motor but i have seen other 31 inch boats with way less KV ... any pointers in the proper trail to follow would be most helpful. Thanks for your time.20180914_222957.jpeg20180914_125205.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Welcome friend, I to am in B.C. which LHS were you talking to? At first look I thought MRP but then you mentioned it is Fibreglass.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Welcome friend, I to am in B.C. which LHS were you talking to? At first look I thought MRP but then you mentioned it is Fibreglass.
    Shawn
    I was thinking an early Prather Lap Cat but nose is more rounded on mine. Prathers run at about 32 inches …. although my ship was advertised at 31 inches, it's more like 29-30. Prather Lap Cats were the closest I could find to a match as they are recommended to run KnB outboards which mine did at one time. At 29 inches long I now need to figure out if it was a 3.5cc or 7.5cc.

This is a Prather Lap Cat 3.5. The Lap Cat II was designed for a 7.5 engine at 32”. The Lap Cat III is about 36” and was intended for 11 cc engines.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ice-Reduced%29

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    This is a Prather Lap Cat 3.5. The Lap Cat II was designed for a 7.5 engine at 32”. The Lap Cat III is about 36” and was intended for 11 cc engines.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ice-Reduced%29

Thanks Fluid, kind of what I figured it was but all the lap cats I had looked at had more squared off noses. I can now start looking for electric conversion gear. You da man