Thread: Hydro and marine hulls

Default Hydro and marine hulls

So I'm looking at putting together a 1/8scale hydro and was wondering what kind of reinforcement the hydro and marine hulls need? I have only built catamarans before and I enlay them with a layer of cf so they can handle blow overs at higher speeds. Being that the hydros are much more intricate just wanted to see if people are reinforcing these in a similar fashion. Thanks

If you are looking to race, the H&M hulls are not a true 1/8 scale.

Not looking to race it. Just make something fast and dependable.

I believe they offer their hulls in full carbon...I'd go for one of those.

Even the c/f hulls that I get I still add a c/f enlay. Once you start going over 60 mph they can crack or break. I'm just not sure if this happens to hydros since they have a lot less large unsupported areas? Corners in material usually make objects way stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin-m View Post
    Even the c/f hulls that I get I still add a c/f enlay
    Guess it depends on who's building the hull. Some actually build hulls that are good to go when you get it.

H&M are usually a pretty decent layup. May need to add something for the turn fin mount but that may be it,

Sweet thanks. Does Virginia craftsman still make turn fins? I emailed him a couple weeks ago but haven't gotten a response yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin-m View Post
    Sweet thanks. Does Virginia craftsman still make turn fins? I emailed him a couple weeks ago but haven't gotten a response yet.
    I am not sure but we have a fella up here in Canada goes by RandyRap on Jim’s boat dock that does titanium ones

6AD4B9D9-C509-43C9-8492-3C113B9FCC15.jpg

This one is for my big boy hydro 45”

F6A88262-13D0-4E3D-BDA4-545E2914644B.jpg

Those are some nice fins. Next question. How do most guys attach the Cowl on these boats and do you make it so it can break away in a blow over like the spoiler?

Well that is my first big hydro. But the gas guys use a rubber band setup and pins on the cowl that set in place in the hull. I do the pin thing up front on all my boats and then the threaded thumb screws for the hatch. I was thinking of this on mine as well. I do have the rubber band style setups here so I could go that way.

But in my experience hydros tend to just roll over in a corner when they lose their ‘bite’ more than ‘blow over’

I've seen the o ring set ups but not really a fan of the way it looks. I think it would look cleaner if there were 1/4in aluminum tabs mounted to the hull. Then drilled and tapped the holes to use 4m break away screws if the hatch has to break away in a crash or stainless if it does not. Kind of like the thumb screw idea too.

Yeah it’ll just depend what looks right when I get to that build. I was hoping for this winter but I have a twin cat to build first.

cir2.jpg
    Just finished this. It is a H&m hull.

Very nice. Can you take pics of the transom and wing for me so I can see how you mounted the wing. Also did you fill the wings with foam so that they float?