Thread: Brushless & LiPo conversion

Default Brushless & LiPo conversion

I have an old MRP Pantera I'd like to convert. It's about 25 inches long, weighs 3 Pounds fully loaded with a 7.2 x1200 battery and a 05 motor. I'm trying to do it on a budget. All suggestions are appreciated, any ideas? Thanks.

What is your budget?

I know It's going to run a few hundred. It needs a new radio, esc, motor, prop, battery's, coolant hoses, etc, but I'd like to keep the original 1/8 inch straight prop shaft. I already have a venom charger. I have several nitro boats but they are too challenging for a stroke survivor and I'm new to this brushless/LiPo technology. Any other questions? Day 2. I've removed almost everything. I'm having to cut off the motor coupler because someone apparently lost the set screw and decided to glue it to the shaft with CA. I have decided to replace the shaft with a 4mm unit and I ordered a 3/16 prop adapter along with a 5mm to 4mm coupler also a water cooled motor mount for a 3650 motor. Are you with me?
    Last edited by Mad Hatter; 09-04-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Ok, so know one is going to help me out because I haven't posted any pictures. I understand I'll Learn how, and I'll give you a full budget report.

OK, I was looking for advice, obviously it ain't going to happen.Im ordering a leopard motor, 3650 leopard 2290 KV at 14.8 volts it should produce 33,892 RPM. Next I think I should have to pick out a esc I was considering OSE the 150 amp unit. Thanks For All Your input.

Maybe, it's just that no one here knows what an MRP Pantera is. I certainly don't. And without pictures of it, any advice would be just guesswork. No-one likes giving information based on guesswork.
    Can you post some pictures of it?

Mad Hatter, sounds like you have a good grasp on what needs to be done... as for esc, i have the flycolor 150 (same as the OSE but ships without connectors attached) and its been faithfully running for a while now...

one thing to check, if you are looking for more speed, is to check if the hull has a rocker or anything that may adversely affect the handling... i made that mistake when i bought an old Graupner Monstervee... was designed for lower power, and the hull was designed with more lift to get the hull on plane at lower speeds.... which would cause it to porpuise so bad at higher (25+mph) speeds that the whole boat would jump an inch or 2 out of the water...didnt matter trim tabs or strut angle...was the hull design.... i ended up just picking up a different boat all together...LOL

Also for others info, looks like an mrp pantera is a submerged drive 24~" hull...
    Last edited by bogieboy; 09-09-2018 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Maybe, it's just that no one here knows what an MRP Pantera is. I certainly don't. And without pictures of it, any advice would be just guesswork. No-one likes giving information based on guesswork.
    Can you post some pictures of it?
    I know what one is and still have it. Converted it a few years back.
    Sorry you have not received any real guidance but you are on a good track.

THANK YOU ALL, VERY, VERY MUCH!! I was beginning to think I was being ignored, Yes the Pantera was a 24-25" boat, polycarbonate hull. I love working on it, It's like working on a r/c toy! Except this r/c toy was a NAMBA record holder back in the 1980s. So glad to hear that I'm on the right track. THANK YOU!! -Mad-Hatter-

Maybe some forums give instant gratification as regards responses, but no amount of foot stamping is going to force some one to respond. I am still waiting months later for responses to what I thought were important questions in a recent build. That boat is now completed with information that I found by googling. I did not spit the dummy.

Last year I started a similar project with a 70 cm ABS moulded mono hull with submerged 1/8" drive. The first response I received was that the submerged drive will not perform as well as a decent surface drive. I reinforced the ABS hull with a carbon fibre inlay and mounted a 3/16" stinger on the transom with 3674 motor and Turnigy 150 amp ESC (I believe this is a Hobbyking rebadge of the Flycolor/OSE Raider ESC).

I highly doubt that 65 mph is achievable with the submerged drive.