Thread: Question about my TP motors

Default Question about my TP motors

Hey guys, need some advice. I'm putting together a 37" full carbon Zonda. Will be running two TP 4070 2080Kv motors and Swordfish X 220A controllers on 6s. These motors on paper have a ton of power. Should I run 1/4" shafts or could I get away with 3/16"?

You can use 3/16” cables, no problem on any 6S setups. Several years ago at the LA SAWs I ran 99 mph in a Q sport hydro with dozens of runs in the 90s, and I still use that same cable (Hughey) in my oval boats. With a large format motor (~56mm diameter) and 8S or 10s then a 1/4” cable is best.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
    Hey guys, need some advice. I'm putting together a 37" full carbon Zonda. Will be running two TP 4070 2080Kv motors and Swordfish X 220A controllers on 6s. These motors on paper have a ton of power. Should I run 1/4" shafts or could I get away with 3/16"?
    On 6s that motor can pull 300 plus amps
    my choice would be 8s and lower KV to lower amps -OR- go with the 300amp ESC

just my opinion after what I have learned here at OSE and google in last year …..lol

Thanks guys! I'll have to get a new pair of esc's.

Thanks guys! I'll have to get a new pair of esc's.
    That's a a lot of HP if you don't own the motors go down to the 6200 watt motor from Tp 4060 I think, still 8 hp and lower amp draw.
    on 6s that motor max is 281 amps

simple calculations: divide the max amps of motor by volts you want to use to see Max Amp Draw

example 6200 watt motor running on 22 volts =281.81
    Last edited by Crash; 09-03-2018 at 05:47 PM.

The maximum amp or watt rating of a motor is not what that motor can draw, it is the maximum recommended draw. The prop size determines the actual load, which can be forced to be well above the factory “rating” - that loading is up to the boater. Using the total watts to find max amps can be misleading, it is far better to use the experience of others rather than some published numbers found on the Internet.

The 220 amp controller the OP wants to use will work with his system if he is conservative on prop choice. Both motors together can consume almost 5000 watts, that is a lot for a properly setup cat. An ESC’s amp rating is really a temperature rating, so brief SAW passes can safely exceed the ESC’s max amp rating....if the ESC temperature is kept under control. This is one reason many SAW racers only make two passes and bring the boat in. Wish I had a dollar for each time I watched a SAW racer make “just one more pass” and burn down. More headroom in the ESC is never a bad thing.

Fluid agrees with me in a beat around the bush kinda way..lol

if you like a HOT set up your on track. but, to cool it down my calcs. are close...…….just my opinion

This boat is just for quick passes...not racing or playing around. No such thing as too much power lol, I just wanted to be sure that I'm not gonna be snapping shafts every time I run the thing. Figured I'd start with 45mm props and go from there.

This boat is just for quick passes...not racing or playing around. No such thing as too much power lol, I just wanted to be sure that I'm not gonna be snapping shafts every time I run the thing. Figured I'd start with 45mm props and go from there.
    Lol.
    20 hp in a 36 inch is cool.

Hell yeah!! It's like 3000 hp in a Camaro lol

Hmmm, 45 mm props are pretty small if you want SAW speeds out of a 36” cat. Aim for 47-50+ mm, the cable will take it.

Fluid agrees with me in a beat around the bush kinda way..lol
    Well uh, whatever you say.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Hmmm, 45 mm props are pretty small if you want SAW speeds out of a 36” cat. Aim for 47-50+ mm, the cable will take it.

10-4