Thread: 3s lipo crapped the bed?

Default 3s lipo crapped the bed?

Got a 3s Floureon that i have had for several years, last few charges, one cell only takes a 3.99v charge while the other 2 are right at 4.2..... safe to say this pack is junk now?

You can pull the bad cell out of the pack and use as 2s pack. This of course depends on your skill level in the solder department and your daring ness to pull a lipo apart. It does take some care.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    You can pull the bad cell out of the pack and use as 2s pack. This of course depends on your skill level in the solder department and your daring ness to pull a lipo apart. It does take some care.
    Im game.... i would just have to find which is the bad cell, desolder the bridge wiring, and resolder the terminal wiring and balance plug right? Then just re-shrink (or tape up) the pack...

Quote Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
    Im game.... i would just have to find which is the bad cell, desolder the bridge wiring, and resolder the terminal wiring and balance plug right? Then just re-shrink (or tape up) the pack...
    Yup. You don’t even need to remove the cell

You could try charging ONLY the low cell through the balance connector using 2 pin header that you solder wires to. Hopefully your charger can do single cells. You have to watch the voltage until it comes close to the rest.

Here is the tutorial

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DP1-VBNJmsg
    Nortavlag Bulc

Currently giving that a go..... got it up to 4.04 right now....

Edit- ran the low cell up to 4.13 and have the pack on a low .2a balance... so far so good....
    Last edited by bogieboy; 09-03-2018 at 11:15 AM.

hind sight, the bad cell keeps dropping, inspected it closely and the one cell is damaged, probably from my rc car days, i had a few run ins with curbs at high rates of speed in my HPI rs4 that i ran this pack in...LOL suppose when it sheared off the whole front arm and mount it probably got the pack that lays crosswise across the center of the frame...LOL one of these days im gonna dissect it and make it a 2s...

If the cell is damaged you should remove it and return it to the recycling. Make sure the poles are insulated and that they know they get a damaged cell at the place where you return it.
    I don't do any "repairs" on LiPo.
    I know too many examples of burned down houses, ruined cars from charging at the lake, killed pets, ...
    Of course SAW pushes the limits but on the other hand nobody runs damaged cells there. Still things happen - outdoors it is just a lot of smoke:

If something happens it happens quite quickly but indoors it can cost you your home or life if you are at sleep.
    Here the owner just got the boat out of the tent but had no chance to get the batterie out of the boat even though he immediately noticed something starting to go wrong...

Prior to recycling or disposal in the garbage (legal), place the pack in a bucket of salty water for a week. This will fully discharge the pack making it as inert as a sack of paper. Do not recycle a partially charged pack!

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

This depends on your options.
    I would not hand such batteries in at local stores not knowing what a LiPo Pack is. They have no protection and they keep the old stuff lying around for too long until the box for old batteries is full.

Here the local waste management companies are responsible to handle "the interesting stuff". They collect it on a regular basis and they have places where you can hand things in if you don't want to wait.

I would definately be careful with salt water and damaged cells. If mechanical damages lead to affected electrical performance I would not trust such cells in any way any more...

I think 6200mah 2s is also suitable