Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UL-1 first run + videos

Default UL-1 first run + videos

[Jan promised that as soon as I start this thread, He'll upload the video] be patient. So here's the details. Note that I in no way am trying to duplicate Brian's SAW speed runs; I just want a boat to heat race with - LSH at WW V. O.K. First run with factory strut settings & AQ 40X57 3 blade; Elite 2S 25C 4800's in series.
    Couldn't get up on plane. Brought 'er in & Jan adjusted the strut. Launched & she ripped. Not really fast; but steady in the straights & corners. Recharged & put a Bar cut X442 on & more speed. Batteries were kinda heavy in the nose & I just ordered some new Elite 2S 5000 35C packs; lighter & smaller to get the CG back some. Next week will start off with a X or M 445 at Brian's advice. Temps were nearly ambient so more agressive stuff will be tried. Vid should be forthcoming.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Where are the vids?????????
    MMGMMarine
    RobertsonRacing

Here we go, just uploaded,
    Tony's UL-1 in action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_qthJJms8I
    Last edited by Ub Hauled; 12-22-2008 at 01:06 AM.
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Looking good Tony :)

Heath

Cool Tony. Pretty impressive for a factory setup. How do you think it will handle mild chop and race water?

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Cool Tony. Pretty impressive for a factory setup. How do you think it will handle mild chop and race water?

Douggie
    I know this question is not directed at me but I was there shooting the vid so I'd like to express my point of view... I think she'll handle mild chop ok, specially if one uses a heavier set of cells like Tony did. Race water... I think it'll depend on the pond, if it is a smaller pond with concrete shore lines she may suffer, if it is a larger body of water she
    will suffer less (could I have been more generic?). But seriously, hard to tell at this point
    if she'll prevail in race water.

Douggie, I think she'll do just fine. When I ran Brian's UL-1 at the SAW's, the wind was up & there was some small chop & she trucked right along. As far as racewater is concerned, we'll see. Next weekend I'll throw her in while the gassers are tearin' it up to check that out. I think in an LSH race, because she's larger than the Vipers & similar boats she'll have a better survival rate, although the smaller boats will have an edge on speed.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Tony, videos taken SUnday were ALL outta focus. Sorry man, I think there was something on the lens.
    I manage to get the damage on focus, check it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ub Hauled View Post
    Tony, videos taken SUnday were ALL outta focus. Sorry man, I think there was something on the lens.
    I manage to get the damage on focus, check it out.
    For those that didn't read the post on the RTR thread, here's what happened : tried the new Elite 2S 35C 5000 cells with an M445 and it was a totally different boat than last week. FAST, really on the edge ! " I need an airdam fast ", in fact.
    Then she blew over at full speed & ripped the turn fin right out of the sponson. Bummer, but with some creative engineering it can be repaired. As I see it, this is an issue that can happen to anyone; the area where the fin is located is just as thin as the rest of the hull and the fin bracket reinforcing plate inside the hull has a very small footprint. With the lateral leverage imparted on the fin at high cornering speeds or an unfortunate blower like mine, this is likely to be an issue. I hope not for the rest of you !
    My plan to fix this on mine is to fill the hole with epoxy or resin/microballons. Then attach the sheet aluminum reinforcing plate [see picture] outside the hull, probably with 3M 5200 slow cure {it's really strong and adhears better than anything I know of}. Then mount & either tack-weld or JB the fin bracket on the plate. The bracket also will still screw into the inside-the hull-plate which'll be epoxied in to fill the hole.We'll see.
    I'm sorry if I'm raining on anyone's parade here, but until {and if} future production runs somehow reinforce this during manufacture, I'd advise anyone who'se going to push this boat hard make an outside-the-hull reinforcing plate like mine. OK, lay the heat on, I'm ready !

why not modify the turn fin so it kicks up when striking something?

Jim
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Jim, I'll likely do that. 'Thing is, I don't beleive I struck anything. The fin has no scars at all, & was bent out sideways hanging off the sponson. The boat just did a fairly slow blowover & that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    For those that didn't read the post on the RTR thread, here's what happened : tried the new Elite 2S 35C 5000 cells with an M445 and it was a totally different boat than last week. FAST, really on the edge ! " I need an airdam fast ", in fact.
    Then she blew over at full speed & ripped the turn fin right out of the sponson. Bummer, but with some creative engineering it can be repaired. As I see it, this is an issue that can happen to anyone; the area where the fin is located is just as thin as the rest of the hull and the fin bracket reinforcing plate inside the hull has a very small footprint. With the lateral leverage imparted on the fin at high cornering speeds or an unfortunate blower like mine, this is likely to be an issue. I hope not for the rest of you !
    My plan to fix this on mine is to fill the hole with epoxy or resin/microballons. Then attach the sheet aluminum reinforcing plate [see picture] outside the hull, probably with 3M 5200 slow cure {it's really strong and adhears better than anything I know of}. Then mount & either tack-weld or JB the fin bracket on the plate. The bracket also will still screw into the inside-the hull-plate which'll be epoxied in to fill the hole.We'll see.
    I'm sorry if I'm raining on anyone's parade here, but until {and if} future production runs somehow reinforce this during manufacture, I'd advise anyone who'se going to push this boat hard make an outside-the-hull reinforcing plate like mine. OK, lay the heat on, I'm ready !
    Couple of Q’s…. How fast were you "pushing" the hull when the boat flipped? Were you in a turn or straight away when it occurred. Is it possible it let go first, causing the flip?

It might be advantageous to make this an intentional break point by using nylon bolts instead of steel?

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDuc View Post
    Couple of Q’s…. How fast were you "pushing" the hull when the boat flipped? Were you in a turn or straight away when it occurred. Is it possible it let go first, causing the flip?

It might be advantageous to make this an intentional break point by using nylon bolts instead of steel?
    My guess is it was very close if not at 50 mph. Hard to say. It was really ripping, I'll say that. Happened on the straight. A breakaway fin may be the right way to go, given how thin the hull is at the mounting point. I'm at a loss to explain what caused it, other than the rather violent touchdown. The fin has no nicks whatsoever ; if I hit something at that speed there should be some "forensics"

Im looking into this.. bare with me.......

Grim

Default befor & after photos

Quote Originally Posted by Grimracer View Post
    Im looking into this.. bare with me.......

Grim
    Cool. Thanks for the response. I'm still in LOVE withis boat. Absolutely unbeatable for the money and more fun than one can imagine. Can't wait to race her !

wow Tony, very nice work, how did you attach the aluminum to the hull, "JB" ?

My guess is it was very close if not at 50 mph....
    Probably a good guess. Brian made a pass with an m445 at the SAWs and had a time of 45 mph...but he was flipping through the lights so the true speed was almost certainly higher.

Tony, superb advise for those who are going to push the hull beyond the RTR specifications and thank you for sharing this info. No Rain!! just a fellow member advising of his perceptions and resolution.

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by Ub Hauled View Post
    wow Tony, very nice work, how did you attach the aluminum to the hull, "JB" ?
    Yuppers. First I JB'd the broken piece in & let it cure overnight . Then I laid play-dough on the back of the plate, pushed in place to make an impression of the fin bracket bolt holes & drilled them out. Then scuffed up the boat & the reinforcing bracket & JB'd it in place with clamps. Let it dry overnight & then faired the bracket to the sponson surface with various abrasives. Then bolted on the fin bracket with small "spot welds" of JB to the plate to keep it strong but allow removal if needed for other fins. Ready to rock again. BTW in the middle of all this I discovered that the rudder pin had one loose and one missing setscrew. Rudder could wag a bunch while underway. Shame on me for missing this during blueprinting ; this may have caused some instability in the straights
    Tomorrow I'll re-configure the strut to accept a replaceable strut bushing & replace the stock shaft with an Octura, which is ever-so-slightly larger in diameter to eliminate the propshaft wobble. Also tomorrow comes my new magnetic prop balancer & Ive decided to get the prop caliper Mark Grim showed us & try some prop magic.

The boat has a replaceable strut bushing...

Grim

Quote Originally Posted by Grimracer View Post
    The boat has a replaceable strut bushing...

Grim
    My apologies, Brother. I looked closer & there it was. I have way too much dain bramage from all those years in the saddle

What strut bushing fits? I looked on tower and it looks like you have to buy the whole strut assembly just to get the bushing?

Default Fast Water at Legg Lake Today

Call me crazy but the water was Fast today ! Ran the UL-1; 2S Elite 35C 5000's & an M445. It was violently fast. [ Same for my VS-1 & DF-33 BTW]. I adjusted the strut for a little downforce [ one or two throttle pulls got 'er up]; added a small airdam & it was simply ripping up the water. Temps were minimal after 2-3 minute runs. No water leaks [ a couple of spray-drops maybe]. I put a paper towel in at Jay's advice but it was bone dry. This boat kicks some serious a** !

Call me crazy but the water was Fast today ! Ran the UL-1; 2S Elite 35C 5000's & an M445. It was violently fast. [ Same for my VS-1 & DF-33 BTW]. I adjusted the strut for a little downforce [ one or two throttle pulls got 'er up]; added a small airdam & it was simply ripping up the water. Temps were minimal after 2-3 minute runs. No water leaks [ a couple of spray-drops maybe]. I put a paper towel in at Jay's advice but it was bone dry. This boat kicks some serious a** !
    Did this make a difference? My first run with a M445 seemed a bit loose ,,, but then I found that the strut was 1" down and at 3 degrees +. I haven't had a chance to run it since I made the changes.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    Did this make a difference? My first run with a M445 seemed a bit loose ,,, but then I found that the strut was 1" down and at 3 degrees +. I haven't had a chance to run it since I made the changes.
    My strut is 1 1/16 " from the bottom of the hull to the bottom of the strut & is angled down at the back @ 5 deg. The M445 with the 35C Elites is a wild ride; I'll prpbably prop down for fun running.

Hi Guys
    Just to let everyone know that properchoppers turn fin problem happened to my boat and it was not even out of the shipping box yet. The bottom of the transom below the turn fin mount plate was cracked all the way across. I made the same repair as he did with the aluminum plate and it worked fine. Grim there is a major problem with the hull in that area. It needs to be strenghtened and a larger backing plate installed before assembly.

i also flip my ul-1 today and rip out my turn fin i filled the hole with sticky putty but did not put back the turn fin

Guys, I'm truly sorry this has happened to you, although at least I know that I'm not alone or somehow responsible for what I thought was a freak accident. I know that Grim put a lot of heart into this project and will take matters in hand.

do you think the warranty cover this problem

It's not for me to say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast