Thread: Top Performing Sport Hydro

Default Top Performing Sport Hydro

Trying to get my dad into FE, we run gas together but sometimes it’s easier to throw an electric in the lake and have fun when time is tight.

He was 40 & 60 hydro ODMBA club champ several times back in the 90s... that being said... I’d like to find out which sport hydro hull performs the best, something that is good in race water. I briefly had a Popeye in the past but didn’t give it much of a chance. It ran 60 but was kinda flat and boring, I couldn’t get the nose light enough to make it loose, which I read is the opposite of most people’s problem (I think the turn fin was too large).

Open to suggestions, nothing smaller than popeye. How is the Insane FE30 vs Aeromarine hull? Any other top manufacturers produce them? No ProBoat or Aquacraft wanted.

Thanks for all input provided!
    IMPBA 20583

i would recommend one of mikes ml boat works hydro kits, but you gotta build it, unless someone has one for sale
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

PT Stealth (fiberglass) or Whiplash (wood kit) ether can win on any given day.

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    PT Stealth (fiberglass) or Whiplash (wood kit) ether can win on any given day.
    Hard to overlook that supersport 45, never remember seeing that or the stealth for sale up here before. I’m guessing maybe it’s something that could be found on IW?
    IMPBA 20583

SuperSport 45 = 6S
    Stealth 30 = 4S
    Whiplash 21 = 4S
    Whiplash 45 = 6S

All have shown up on OSE For Sale from time to time. I imagine you don’t see many for sale because most guys like’m or they are snatched up quickly.

I contacted PT about the SS45. It would be nice to find a used one in good shape, but building is half the fun anyway! Thanks for the info!
    IMPBA 20583

Take a look at the Black Pearl from Shooter. I think it's only available in a 4S size, but it seems to do real well.

The FE30 (to give equal air time) competes class-wise with the Whip21 & Stealth30. Easier to rig and as solid as they come, they'll run competitively with these boats - although the larger hulls (SS45 et.al.)will be more stable in bigger H2O
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Black Pearl is killer but bring the ponies. The Stealth and Whip are great for spec power. ML has a number of kits in the 4s range too.

I'm partial to wood boats of late. Think I have vitamin deficiency or something that makes me crave the sawdust. That or the epoxy exposure has finally caused the brain damage I was promised.
    Noisy person

partial to my whip 40
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Black Pearl is killer but bring the ponies. The Stealth and Whip are great for spec power. ML has a number of kits in the 4s range too.

I'm partial to wood boats of late. Think I have vitamin deficiency or something that makes me crave the sawdust. That or the epoxy exposure has finally caused the brain damage I was promised.
    Terry, where does someone get the Black Pearl from?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

hard to find the Black Pearl in the sea.

Do a quick search for a guy named Shooter. He laser cuts the Pearls. I'm not sure he's doing them right now though. Winter is coming so he may start cutting some.

The last one I built I put in my sons hands and he was able to up the world record with it a tic. The old record was also held by a Pearl.
    Noisy person

Do a quick search for a guy named Shooter. He laser cuts the Pearls. I'm not sure he's doing them right now though. Winter is coming so he may start cutting some.

The last one I built I put in my sons hands and he was able to up the world record with it a tic. The old record was also held by a Pearl.
    Ok I remember him doing these now.
    these are Q size boats Terry?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Ok I remember him doing these now.
    these are Q size boats Terry?
    "P" - 4S2P - 33.5" size

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    "P" - 4S2P - 33.5" size

Larry
    OK, I'm looking for "Q"

look at the ML Boatworks 338. Q class.

I was wondering the same question for a winter build. and was looking at the ml gsx338v2 kit. it said was legal in p class for namba and impba. but I have no idea. I just hadn't asked yet!!

34” limit. So it’s legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The GSX338v2 is legal for P. Legal for limited too but pretty heavy for that. Mike does nice work on all of his boats. The fit is solid and they're pretty easy to figure out.

So far nothing is close to the Pearl. Harsh but true thus far. Maybe with some time someone will find the the sweet spot on the ML. All boats seem to have a mystical setup that makes them sing.
    Noisy person

The GSX338v2 is legal for P. Legal for limited too but pretty heavy for that. Mike does nice work on all of his boats. The fit is solid and they're pretty easy to figure out.

So far nothing is close to the Pearl. Harsh but true thus far. Maybe with some time someone will find the the sweet spot on the ML. All boats seem to have a mystical setup that makes them sing.
    I've learned to trust what you say when it comes to boats.
    I'm going to look into one of these black pearl boats.

I had an FE30 that was pretty quick

The Black Pearl's are quick when setup.

73MPH on the GPS in 8 to 9 lap Oval race setup.

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TRUCKPULL; 10-10-2018 at 01:43 AM.

Well it looks like i'll be looking into it as well!!!! And to find one!!!
    Thanks
    brian

how about 90 mph with a whiplash 30. Australian record.

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    Is that in Oval setup or SAW?

Larry

pretty sure this speed was a SAW set up Larry. looking at the hull is looked like your typical painted sport hydro , nothing light about it.

Never heard of a Whip 30.

Whip 20 is really really good too. It's small for oval in traffic for NAMBA and IMPBA today. I set the oval record with a Whip20 back in 2008 I think. It was a weak record and I was cherry picking an old record at the time. We got a lot faster with those shortly there after. The trick with those in my experience is to build them fat. Two part foam. Fiber cloth to gusset the skins. What ever you can think of to make it tough as nails. Don't worry about weight. Then you can plow through what ever a heat throws at you water wise. The best of them that I built came in over 9 pounds RTR. We called it the Led Sled.

I also set a heat Q Sport heat record with a Whip40 in 2009 at the NAMBA nationals. Held up for one year until it was beaten by another Whip 40 at the 10 nationals. Then at the 14 nats Mike Ball and Mike Paganelli swapped the record back and forth all day. Paganneli edged out Mike's Thomas SS45 with another Whip40 by like .02 seconds or something ridiculous. Those were "must see" heats. They both agreed to not submit for the record. Human error factored in they couldn't agree that either was any faster. Mike later set the IMPBA Q oval record with that boat which I believe still stands.

Anxious to see how Phils new Stealth 45 runs. We have one in the club being assembled right now.
    Noisy person

sorry i meant whip 20 but its 30 inches in length.

sorry i meant whip 20 but its 30 inches in length.
    Duhhhh I should have been able to figure that out. As many texts as Pete and I have exchanged in the last few days comparing notes I should have picked that up.
    Noisy person