Thread: New guy needs help

Default New guy needs help

I am just starting out, have a 1/10 scale hydro,brushless 50 A, 3 phase motor, ESC, Flycolor 150 amp controller, LiPoly 4 cells 4200 mAh 14.v 35C?, Duratrax transmitter/receiver R 240FS. First time out on the water, overheated the ESC, it was gone, have redesigned the the water pick up system by additional water pick up rudder, the only other thing is, I did not program the T/R for the type of battery I was using. Is this what caused my problem?

size and kv of motor ?
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

Can you post some pics of your setup? It helps identify any little problems with cooling lines etc. How long did you run for? Are you sure the esc overheated as they have a thermal cutout. What exactly happened? The more info you can provide the better others can help diagnose the problem for you.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

And how fast was it going. I find it hard to get water flowing through the system under 30mph. The girlfriends scale runabout had to get a water pump thrown in it.

What prop are you running on the boat? You should be talking with some of the boaters in Washington that run 1/10th scale.

Thank you, we have Slo Mo Shun 4 and Slo Mo Shun 5, Dumas hydro kits, we have used two different props don't know the size have made so many changes, am a little lost, boats are apart now as we start over. Seems the 159A controllers thermo cut in after a short run 150 yards, even packed the motor and controller in ice bags as motor, controller and battery were hot. Cooled every thing down, second run only went 50 yards when the controller cut out and boat came to a stop. redesigned the water pick up unit and got new controllers, will program the unit with the proper battery designation this time, may make a difference, may have to back to sail boat racing again, less moving parts.

You may be running to big a prop. I suggest starting with a Octura X447R. Talk to some of the 1/10th scalers up there, they can help get you on the right track before you throw up your hands and don't get have fun running these little scales. Their really a lot of fun. They go a lot faster than sailing.