Thread: First Impressions vid + EagleTree log pics

Thumbs up First Impressions vid + EagleTree log pics

Took it out of the box and ran her for the first time today.

Wanted to leave her stock, but the state of CF prop was horrendus.
    Fringed and dinged along all blades. So reworked an X440/3 and stuck that on.

Before putting her in the water I did a simple test on the cooling system for leaks.
    Blew into the outlet and covered the rudder inlet with my finger, no audible leaks were detected.

There is quiet a bit of play of the prop shaft in the strut bushing, I dont know if this is normal, Id guess about half a mm each way.

The ride was fantastic !
    Sticks to the water like glue, complete opposite of what I was used to from my SV27!!
    Max speed was 66 kmh or 42 mph.
    Mike, congratulations, what a great boat !!

Uploaded the video YOU TUBE LINK

After the run Id like to say a few things :

She took on quiet some water, dont know if this is due to
    the water jacket
    the bit of play in the strut bushing
    or the fact that she submarines quiet a bit when you let off the throttle.

Because of this I recommend to remove the velcro of the receiver from the bottom of the tub and stick it on side(!) as my receiver was drenched.

Also I advise to put the steering rod a notch or two up on the steering servo as it steers very little in the stock (bottom) position.

For the ppl interested (10 samples a second) :

GPS Speed

Amps draw seems a tad higher than expected ....

Motor RPM
    Berry

Thanks for all the info!!
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Cool

Also I advise to put the steering rod a notch or two up on the steering servo as it steers very little in the stock (bottom) position.
    Did you try turning up the steering rate on the transmitter? That did it for me - no need to move the linkage.

Hi Jay,
    Like you say,I also found turning the steering rate to the maximum gives me just enough for normal use.
    Then again, when Im neering those weeds Id like a little more
    So for me adjusting the rod a notch and putting the rate in the middle does it knowing I have some extra if need be.

Also the jacket was REALLY leaky in my case two boats full of water so far.
    Blowing into the tubes and listening for leaks didnt reveal these leaks.
    Only testing on the tap revealed leaking by both threads.
    What a nightmare water jacket system to instsall
    Or is it just me ?

I silliconed both end by the threads now and will test again tomorrow when its hardened.
    Berry

its not the threads that are leaking.. Its the o ring likey not being seated.

Follow Jays advice about re-seating the o rings

Grim

If you get a chance... could you do some more graphs of some full throttle consecutive laps?

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDuc View Post
    If you get a chance... could you do some more graphs of some full throttle consecutive laps?
    Hi Sean,
    This is about as full throttle as I can go in the pond Im staying near this Christmas. This is running down two sets of packs, so the beginning will be an overwrite of the first run (when the memory is full it continues overwriting the first run)...
    Whats the C value of your packs? You said on youtube you want to run 2x 4S1P 2200mA packs in parallel, so if they are not around at least 22C you might have a problem as the boat is pulling up to 100 amps...
    Having said that Im having a problem with my coupler not being balanced, that might (?) cause a few extra amps (not sure).

GPS Speed

Amps

RPM
    Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Grimracer View Post
    its not the threads that are leaking.. Its the o ring likey not being seated.

Follow Jays advice about re-seating the o rings

Grim
    Hi Mike,

I reseated the jacket and tested with the tap. The jacket was leaking round the threads not by the o-rings (probably because it was impossible to turn the end rings properly on the threads). After silliconing all issues disappeared and I now have a dry boat.

However, I did have a nightmare at the pond today, after 100ft of running the flex coupler came off of the motor shaft and jammed in the brass tubing.
    Back on shore I saw the set screw had been glued or loc-tited will not being screwed down on the shaft
    Broke two allen wrenches trying to loosen it.
    Loctiting the coupler to the shaft allowed me to continue my run and have a few more till I get home after Xmas and get a new coupler on there.
    Dont ask me how but I bent then broke one of the 4 clutches of the coupler in the process. (Still running my boat, but the coupler is way out of balance).
    Also the strut bushing is loose in the strut should I worry about this ?

Thanks for looking at my questions.
    Berry

its the o rings that seats the threads.....

get a 1.5mm Throp driver.. for the setscrew.. its the best you can buy..

Nope.. but if you like replace it...

Grim

Quote Originally Posted by planezero View Post
    Hi Mike,

I reseated the jacket and tested with the tap. The jacket was leaking round the threads not by the o-rings (probably because it was impossible to turn the end rings properly on the threads). After silliconing all issues disappeared and I now have a dry boat.

However, I did have a nightmare at the pond today, after 100ft of running the flex coupler came off of the motor shaft and jammed in the brass tubing.
    Back on shore I saw the set screw had been glued or loc-tited will not being screwed down on the shaft
    Broke two allen wrenches trying to loosen it.
    Loctiting the coupler to the shaft allowed me to continue my run and have a few more till I get home after Xmas and get a new coupler on there.
    Dont ask me how but I bent then broke one of the 4 clutches of the coupler in the process. (Still running my boat, but the coupler is way out of balance).
    Also the strut bushing is loose in the strut should I worry about this ?

Thanks for looking at my questions.
    The best way to break the grip that the loctite or glue has is a soldering iron. Heat up the screw, this will burn off the blue and make it easier to turn.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by planezero View Post
    Whats the C value of your packs? You said on youtube you want to run 2x 4S1P 2200mA packs in parallel, so if they are not around at least 22C you might have a problem as the boat is pulling up to 100 amps...
    Having said that Im having a problem with my coupler not being balanced, that might (?) cause a few extra amps (not sure).
    They are true 20C packs so they should be good to 90 amps in parallel. Your amp draw does seem a bit high. I don't have an eagletree, but I do have a Watts Up watt meter so I can record the peak amps, watts, etc. Hopefully others will post their findings as well.