Thread: Battery load test very good info

Default Battery load test very good info

if you can leave this here for a while it's great info TY https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...st-Comparisons

Nice, thanks!
    Nortavlag Bulc

It's hard to believe HobbyKing really is putting out the best performing batteries at their prices. But this guy doesn't come across as a shill or an HK fanboy. Maybe they are worth a look.

I have been saying that the overpriced Lipo's are a waste of money for years.
    Team Liquid Dash

Guess i need to re think my battery choices from now on.... Great info !

Quote Originally Posted by Raydee View Post
    I have been saying that the overpriced Lipo's are a waste of money for years.
    yup i agree with you .some my best lipos are turnigy heavy duty 60c variety .i read that thread from beginning to end awhile back and even recently posed a question about revisiting maxamps lipos ,which he says failed miserably . the info at the beginning of that thread was just updated june of this year so its all current .
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

Smc is more powerful than hobbyking.

Smc did a battery test too. The results from they test can be seen on they website.

I have personal did some load test with different brand lipos that I had in my position. I have found in my testing that the smc have similar internal resistance as what they test revealed.

I have a 4s smc 5400 90c with an internal resistance of .005 ohms. That is at 100 amp discharge the voltage lost would be .5v lost. If you the pack starts at 16.5v it would drop to 16v initially.

I have tested other cells which are listed to be used in boats setting records which in my independent test show that in one instance the smc has 1/3 the resistance as one other pack and 1/2 the resistance of another pack.

That one 4s of another brand had .015 ohm and another brand was .01 ohm vs the smc at .005 ohm and this is for 4s total.

I managed to get my hand a some turnigy heavy duty 5000 60c.

Those cells have slightly less internal resistance than the smc 5400 90c cells.

The 2 cells are very close. And I mean very close but the turnigy is slightly better.

I usually get Venom batteries and have had great luck with them, as far as testing and knowing what numbers they put out I wish I knew. But they do last! I tried A Max amps battery and found poor quality and crap service! Waste of money!! I did get 4 batteries from HK and have had 1 go bad, the other 3 are still good, and needless to say decently priced. That's my 2 cents worth.
    SW26 V3 Green 35mph , Swifter Hydro 26. Delta Force 35. cars ,3 Rustlers 45-76 Mph.

I haven't had the best of luck with Venom batts....have a high end balance charger and at first they seem to balance fine...then after 4 or 8 runs they don't balance well...and one dropped a cell....although i have others for land RC that seem fine...?? I also have two SMC 5200/ 90c hard case...which i opened for cooling....that are just nasty fast and do balance perfect..after mabe 15 cycles... HK batts seem to be the way to go now...??

I'm fairly simple minded. I just do a side-by-side recording session to compare the load capabilities in my boat in the water under closely identical controlled conditions. One boat; fixed length runs on the same course. Then I graph the results. Works for me...............

batt 3 comp.jpg
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

TTTop

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sockrat
    I'd check warranty# on these HK batteries. each battery HK sells has a unique # and they increase. If you have other batteries you can guess when approximately your latest purchase was manufactured. It happened to me a few times I was getting on sale a 2-3 year-old lipo from HK (last time Bolts).
    If they spent 2-3 years on a shelf in that climate you will see 80% or less declared capacity and this is what HK usually refunds.
    -----------------------------------------

Me:

I had a major incident with some 4S Zippy 5000/ 30C packs a few years back and they kept sending me packs so whacked out it's not funny. They covered the problem 100% back then but I hammered them on the robot Chat Help and they finally admitted they keep them stored in hot summer warehouse temps, no climate control.

Only buy them when they restock or come out with new stuff and only buy when ready to use!!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    I'm fairly simple minded. I just do a side-by-side recording session to compare the load capabilities in my boat in the water under closely identical controlled conditions. One boat; fixed length runs on the same course. Then I graph the results. Works for me...............

batt 3 comp.jpg
    So which packs relate to the charts?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    So which packs relate to the charts?
    L to R : Turnigy , Hyperion, Dinogy IIRC
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

How old is that Chart Tony?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post

Mark
    ancient

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post

Mark
    Mark you got me thinking- I had to reach back in time to remember these tests - I'm pretty sure about the first two - maybe the third could have been Thunderpower

Probably irresponsible of me to not be certain..............

I did a run today on 3s. The run got up to 97 amp peak.

According to the datalog my pack voltage started at 11.8v without load and drop to 11.4v at 94.6amps.

That's .4 volt loss at 94.6 amps, that is .00422 ohms including ESC resistance for a 3s pack.

The cell was an smc 5400 90c pack.