Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conversion advice

maybe the stuffing tube to motor coupler is out of line.cable should be in center of stuffing tube,doesnt take much for it to become a binding issue.

Dirty,
    I was sent to Williamsburg till 11pm. Sorry I missed your call.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

no problem

This was my build. It was posted on another forum.

http://www.rcflix.com/nats_2005/E_Me..._brushless.wmv

That video is a shortened video of about a 4 plus minute run. I was using a converted jeti airplane esc with water cooling. was barely breaking a sweat after the run. To boot I went against all conventional wisdom(of course at my own risk) and was running at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle the whole time, with a quick blurt of the hammer, once or twice.

I ran a 14xl on 24 cells. I will be switching to a 12 or 13xl and 18cells soon.

The stripped Nitro MM .18 weight in at 52 ounces, with the radio, radio box and all the hardware. Not to bad considering the BARE electric hull weight 39 ounces.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Default same

Steven, what was your max speed on your 24 cell, 14XL setup?

I never got to gps test it. But the nitro dudes at the lake were fully impressed, which puts a smile on my face and it was much faster than my q mono which is setup and been tested in the 40mph range. It didn't turn very well. So I will be changing the MM to a 18 cell setup and lipo.
    Steven Vaccaro

Default same

Ok, I am putting the 14XL setup with NiMH's in a larger hull and rudder. Hope that will take care of the weight handling issue.

Back on topic...
    I believe I may have solved the lack of room for 12 cells in this hull.
    The fwd compartment will house the batts & motor. The aft compartment will house the electrics. This Video will demonstrate the battery configuration & placement using dummy cells, then display the remaining room. Tell me what you guys think please.

Video <----

Video is 13M so please be patient while it loads.
    Last edited by Diegoboy; 04-15-2007 at 04:02 PM.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Diego ,
    I sent you a PM, As for putting everything in the front, Batts and Motor,,just be careful you don't get to bow heavy, I thought of something similar and decided that the weight distribution method I used really balences the boat well. Not saying yours won't work , just something to keep in mind .

I hung out with some guys yesterday (nitro stuff) with Dirtysouth31. I saw this beautiful boat built by Don Ferrette. He set the boat in the water for the first time. I later watched it blow over and destroy the wing. It has front flaps that he put at a 45 degree angle to keep the nose down. On her maiden voyage, he forgot to lock the flaps, causing her blow over. I want to know what keeps the nose down on the proboat hulls. We don't have a curved turn fin like outriggers do. I was thinking that the batts will keep her nose down since I don't have them there flaps.

Last edited by Diegoboy; 04-15-2007 at 07:14 PM.

Wink

Nice boat, keeping the bow down and not burying it in the water can be a triicky thing, i almost had one today running in abot 20mph winds !
    Adding flaps fo a bit of downward fore is not that difficult, just like adding trim tabs on the stern. I am considering it on my Llumar using a few thin pieces of aluminum.

Diego , 1 more thing to consider , once you have the coupler , motor mount, motor and connection wires , you MAY have limited room to insert your batteries, thats a problem I had when I first tried to put everything up fornt in the bow.

Diego; just got back from the pond , tried the Llumar on 14 cells,,,,whats that in my rearview mirror ?????? oh,yeah 3 of the local SV's,,,thats what

This thing flys on 14 cells:D

Really? That's sweet! Do you have a vid or pics? :)

Nothing yet , but this aftrenoon I'm off to the pond with my Navibe GPS for a few runs,, I'll post the numbers later, I just got the GPS yesterday and can even manage to wedge it in the Llumar after some serious thought :D

Here is the ProBoat I converted to FE... Ran it on 12-cells stuffed into the very front, with a Neu Motor and a Prather 215 Prop... Was absolutly ballistic... but it took a LOT of refining of the hull to get it that way... The sponsons need a lot of work... the hull needs rigidity added to the bottom... and there is VERY little room...

I'm actually considering taking it back off the shelf and trying it on 2S Lipo power... I think it would fly and the weight wouldn't hurt at all given the current power levels available... I'm NOT a big "round-bow" fan, so it would be nice to have something nice and modern looking that could be competitive...

Sealing it from water was a trick, but I overcame that one as well.... I'll dig up some more pics tonight when I get home and post some of them for you... I think you'll get some fresh ideas of how to go about this...

It's tough to get enough weight in the front of this boat to get it balanced... but it can be done... I'm curious as to how well that Llumar ran with so much weight in the back... These are a little draggy in the back anyhow, so I'd think you'd want to get that weight as far forward as possible...

Again, I spent about 2-weeks of filling and sanding and filling and sanding to get the sponsons tuned correctly... From the factory, they are all over the place... A lot of work for a boat that is such a pain to opereate (due to lack of room and difficulty to get sealed...)... And... Don't hit anything... Doesn't take much to expode one of these hulls...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Awesome looking boat. What motivated you to use that hull instead of buying one of the avalable H&M hydro hulls?

Just back form the pond:p
    Navibe informs me that on 14 cells of my home made IB4200's packs,,,,,,,,,,38.5 Mph,,not to bad,,,I'm resonably happy with that.
    Now time to try different props:D

Just uploaded 3 videos to RC Flix of the Llumar, I ahve no idea where they went to , my profile says I have not loaded any thing ?????????/
    This is frustrating

Default ProBoat Conversion to 2006 Miss Oberto

Here are those additional pics I promised:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Angry

Just tried it again, everything says it was uploaded successfully,,,still can't find it anywhere on the site,,,,, I give up,,,can someone explain where these video's dissapear to and why the search function can't find any of them ,,,that site does not appear very user friendly

try uploading them to youtube or asnt their origional format in windows movie player when you first load them to the comp, cant you just give a link to that?

speaking of wich, when i upload my vids, when they are first uploaded to the computer(not to a site) i can view them in windows movie player, but i cant figure out how to give links to that vid, i see it done all the time where you can view vids in WMP. format...and they lose a lot of qualty when uploaded to a site....
    saleens7, the wookie of rc boating

Once they upload you you will see a page asking you to confirm the upload. I dont think you got that far. Email one of them to me and I will try to upload it.
    Steven Vaccaro

I havent had much luck uploading there either

Hi guys , Steve , I did get the confirmation request , clicked on it and it said i was successful
    Maybe it just doesn't like me or SJFE :rolleyes:

Guess not...lol

Alright, 1 more step closer to completion. I got the SV27 ESC (Thank you Avengersteve)!!! Just waiting on the part from Doby, a motor, and the batteries. I can't wait to get her wet! :p

Big Thanks to Doby! The part has arrived.

Thank you!:D

Thanks and hope it works as good as it has for me, I'm currently running 4 props in this manner and no problems with balencing or anything else . So when is the ETC of the project ?

Just sinking funds into the renegade rigger, mini-V convertion, and this Miss Bud. When I get the Motor, & mount it. Get Battlepack to make my batteries, it'll be ready. :D

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast