Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conversion advice

And a few more
    The motor mounts are 3/4" plywood cut to size ( trial and error ) and 5 minute epoxied to the hull and then painted in epoxy to waterproof. The engine mount is a piece of scrap aluminum I had lying around, bent and drilled to fit , took three tries to get everything right. All the water pickups and exits are stock and work fine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you again Doby! Now I have enough to get started. It was painful to look at that boat every day, and not knowing what to do or where to start. I truly appreciate it
    :) :D :)
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

How are you keeping all that dry? are you coving the "exhaust"?

No Problem , any time just ask and we will figure out whats best for your mod. I have two in the works right now, a V-24 with a LMT 3080 and a Blackjack 26 that I need to order a SV-27 speed control/motor package from Steven as soon as they are no longer on back order .

Quote Originally Posted by lferguson View Post
    How are you keeping all that dry? are you coving the "exhaust"?
    The packs are sealed and the speed control is waterproof already, The motor has gotten wet , but with the proper drying , it runs great with no problems. The radio hatch is sealed with tape.

Hey Doby.
    I read that this hole in the picture below is a drain plug. I haven't been able to locate a part# for it, nor have I been able to find a used one w/o buying a whole boat. What do you think of the Octura Auto Bailers in this location? I think I may have a problem with the angle of the surface on that side. any suggestions?
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

My dad got one of the Lumar that are smaller. The things weighs a ton and not much room for anything in it. The thing in fact starts to sink.

Ken

Sink? Was there a hole in it? or did it just sit very low in the water?

Default nitro is out!!

doby, i was going to ask about the llumar when i seen the pic of your shop. my buddy and i just bought two of them and after two days of "breaking in" the motor, i think we are over it. these were our first ever nitro boats, and in less than 2 days we are already trying to figure out converting them to electric, but we thought there is not enough room, especially for the batteries. do you run in fresh water? we dont have any lakes or fresh water ponds here in hawaii, so we run in the ocean, and i can see the salt water eating up the electrics real quick. what prop do you run? thanks for all the pics.

Where's Doby? I saw him online last night, but he was gone just that quick.

It actually sat very low in the water. My dad said he is not happy with it at all. I will have to found out the weight and measurements.

Ken

Hi Guys , sorry for the late reply, was out with the girlfriend last night after setting up my new computer in the workshop,,,,got a new HP with dual procesors, 320 GB hard drive,,,,22" LCD,,,,loaded !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to reality; First off , the salt water will eat everything if not rinsed off right after running, I run in fresh water and always make sure the thing is bone dry after running . I seal the ends of my battery packs with A hot glue gun, keeps them nice and dry . hey do need a slightly longer cool down between runs though. Thats where having a good supply of packs helps.

The plug on the back is a drain plug , the auto bailer isn,t really required as long as when you do you mods, you are careful not to damage the inner hull, Pro boat does a pretty good job of making all of the chambers water tight and I have had no problems other than self induced.

As for hydros themselves, they do sit low in the water and are a very wet boat to begin with. even up on plane, they can be wet. I have never had a problem with this though, a bit of water does make in into the motor compartment on every run but its not a big deal. I added a foam seal around the cowling, (I'll attach a photo tonight after I get back from dinner with the family).

The SV 27 motor really makes this thing move, It runs on par with my SV and beats my friends Nitro version with ease. The weight of the two packs is evenly distributed in the layout I came up with. Although things are tight !

Thanks for the info Doby. Do you know where I can get my hands on that drain plug?

That's a nice PC you've got there. It must have taken you all of .00057 seconds to process that last post of yours. :p

Took longer due to operator input co-ordination issues .
    The best spot to check is Horizon Hobbies as they are the distributor for Pro Boats, you probably won't find one on theur website, but if you send them An E-Mail to their customer service group, they might be able to help. If you have access to a machine shop, I'll send you the dimensions of the plug. If you are really hard up, I might be able to sweet talk the guys in our machine shop department to whip one up. They have hepled me in the past with a few of my "odd" requests !

Let me know how the searh goes and we will somehow work something out .

Just snooped on thePro Boat page and found this !

Drain Plug
    PRB2239 by Pro Boat

$3.99

Add to Wishlist

Usually ships in 2-3 Business Days

More in this Category
    More in this Brand

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it!
    Thanks!

I just got the flex shaft, strut, & prop shaft. I assembled it all and installed it last night. Question, The shaft is VERY difficult to turn by hand. It can be done, but it's hard. The stiffness comes from the prop shaft in the strut. I did grease the flex & prop shaft before insertion.
    Was there anything else I needed to do?
    Is it supposed to be that stiff?
    Will it loosen up after the motor turns it a bit at High RPM?

Default New Computer

got a new HP with dual procesors, 320 GB hard drive
    I Just got my ZD8000 laptop about 2 months ago. It has the duel core 2.8 ghz P4s with a meg of onboard cash per layer of the cpu. Hands down the most powerfull machine I have owned to date...Including the the big money gaming systems I have built. I used tothink HP's where junk entry level machins.....How wrong I was..Enjoy that beast...It will handle anything you toss @ it.

Quote Originally Posted by SJFE View Post
    I Just got my ZD8000 laptop about 2 months ago. It has the duel core 2.8 ghz P4s with a meg of onboard cash per layer of the cpu. Hands down the most powerfull machine I have owned to date...Including the the big money gaming systems I have built. I used tothink HP's where junk entry level machins.....How wrong I was..Enjoy that beast...It will handle anything you toss @ it.
    I was hoping there was wisdom in the stiffness of the shaft...

was out with the girlfriend last night after setting up my new computer in the workshop,,,,got a new HP with dual procesors, 320 GB hard drive,,,,22" LCD,,,,loaded !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pay attention Grassahoppa

LOL
    Is there some kind of code there that I am unable to decipher that will help me with THIS...?

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    I just got the flex shaft, strut, & prop shaft. I assembled it all and installed it last night. Question, The shaft is VERY difficult to turn by hand. It can be done, but it's hard. The stiffness comes from the prop shaft in the strut. I did grease the flex & prop shaft before insertion.
    Was there anything else I needed to do?
    Is it supposed to be that stiff?
    Will it loosen up after the motor turns it a bit at High RPM?
    :p :p
    Last edited by Diegoboy; 04-10-2007 at 09:50 AM.

SJFE; Dual processors are they way to go , Now I can go twice as fast to nowhere in particular:D

Diego: I picked up a complete Pro Boat Llumar with nitro engine and everything was already installed when I started the conversion. The flex shaft is very smooth and easy to turn , until I installed the SV-27 motor

When I get home tonight I'll attach some phots of the factory alignment set up on my boat for you to compare with, hopefully it might help.

Could you attach some photos of your set up and I can have a look now as I am currently at work. Then I could check for any variations .:)

Sure. It's the stock setup. All Proboat parts. Here's a pic

Remember, the stiffness is in the strut & prop shaft.

The alignment looks OK,
    I wonder if the tolerences in the shaft and strut are fighting each other , If the shaft is on the high end of the outside diameter tolerence and the strut is on the low end of the inside diameter tolerence than that might be your problem.

Try taking some emery cloth of VERY fine sand paper and sand the propshaft down a bit and then insert it in the strut . That should fix the problem. It might take a while to get the right fit

Story of my life. I have never had anything just go together with out some form of mod work..Nature of the beast I supose.

Diego;
    Let us all know if your problem has gone away.

Just got home. Work had me 2 hours north west of home today.
    Would it be better to sand the ss shaft or the copper bushing in the strut?

put thye flex shaft on a table and see if it will roll smooth,at least a couple complete turns.if not than you shaft is out of wack.usually at the stub out was soldered wrong or crooked.could be sticking in the strut bushing.we can meet up if you caNT FIGURE IT OUT AND ILL TAKE A LOOK FOR YA.my own edit here.stupid caps button
    Last edited by dirtysouth31; 04-10-2007 at 08:54 PM. Reason: caps

I took the prop shaft out and sanded it a bit, That helped out a lot. Thanks Doby!

The flex shaft does roll smooth. Now the prop shaft spins freely, and the flex shaft spins freely, but then I couple them together, it get's a bit tighter. Though it's still easy to spin. I'd love for you to look at it Dirty. Thanks.

Glad to hear things are going "smoothly " now!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast