Thread: MRP EP Motor Setup

Default MRP EP Motor Setup

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and RC boats. I have a MRP hydrosport boat that I need advise on for motor/ESC setups. I think I will need to upgrade the propeller and shaft. Let me what works in these old MRP boats. I appreciate your input on this subject.

Thank you.

Wow, that boat is very old, from the days of simple brushed motors and low capacity NiCds. Its 1980s technology may be a challenge to replicate today due to internal space. Few on this forum will know much about it. It was designed for speeds in the low 20s, and I would not recommend exceeding this.

Why? 30-year-old vacuum formed ABS plastic becomes brittle and will crack if stressed too much. The Hydrosport looks like a traditional 3-point hydro, but it has a large ride pad at the rear to kep the transom from dragging. This and the sponson aoa work well near the design speed, go too fast and stability will suffer. Blowing the hull off the water could cause damage.

but this doesnt mean you cant update the boat. A 28mm brushless motor with a Kv around 2000 running on 3S spinning an Octura x427 prop or equivalent should give speeds in the low/mid 20s. A 30 amp ESC should work. Good luck and tell us how it runs.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Hi Fluid,

I have read the ABS hulls for these boats were not rated for high speeds, not looking to race this hydro.

Was looking to use a Tacon 5050kv motor and Seaking 60A ESC both rated for 24" boats, not sure of the propeller size for this combo. May upgrade to a 120 ESC, if I decide to build my Dumas Pay N Pak kit then I would have the ESC for both boats.

All advise and info is appreciated.

The tacon 5050kv will pull too much amps a 60amp ESC. I have one of them tacon and that thing is amp hungry. I don't think I would recommend the seaking 120 for it either. The ose raider 150 would be more suitable for the tacon 5050kv.

But like fluid suggested a 2000kv on 3s would be more suitable.

Knowing what I know now the dynamite motor that comes in the veles 29 and a 3s should be setup. The dynamite would be around the size of a 05 modified motor back in the day but is loaded with power in a small package.

You can use this same motor in another boat later on if you choose to and just use a bigger prop and more cells.

Last winter I rescued this little old MRP Bud Light tunnel. I installed the mini F-3 outboard, I think that drive line would work great, not the outboard its self, but the sum of the parts. Its got a little 3000kv out runner, 60 amp Seaking ESC, 2s 5000 50c batt, spinning a 32mmx1.6 pitch prop to the tune of 23mph. It can be run on 3S if desired, I don't.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]160977[/ATTACH

I also have an old MRP U-31 Miss Circus Circus, shelf Queen has not touched water in years an years, maybe some day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PROBOAT BlackJack 24", ShockWave 26"
    MRP U-31, 3 tunnels VS1, MRP Bud Light, Dumas HS Sprint

Thanks guys.

I’m looking at a Tacon 28 mm 1800 kv motor with 3.175 shaft. This matches the drive shaft for the boat.

The Miss Circus hydroplanes are hard to find, I lucked out when someone answered my wanted RCG listing with one to sell.
    Last edited by Miss Circus; 08-21-2018 at 03:57 PM.