Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEU MOTORS Vs SCORPION Vs TPPower

Default NEU MOTORS Vs SCORPION Vs TPPower

Which one should you choose ?

If money isn't a problem and they have the KV that you want then the Neu.
    Team Liquid Dash

For what? For top-end racing I’d choose a TP. For fun sport running almost any motor will work, but i dont buy the lowest cost option.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

TP has surpassed Neu motors in quality.
    Scorpion outrunners are not the best match and very few have experience with their inrunners.

Go with a TP.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

I've had much success with TP Power motors PLUS they are reasonably priced
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I have been out of the game for a while, quite shocked to hear that TP has surpassed Neu in quality. Do you feel TP is just as efficient as the Neu's?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Team Liquid Dash

Quote Originally Posted by Raydee View Post
    I have been out of the game for a while, quite shocked to hear that TP has surpassed Neu in quality. Do you feel TP is just as efficient as the Neu's?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Now that’s the question.

Lb for lb I would say Neu has more cold power. TP’s tend to get hot in the same conditions as a neu. I have not tried as many TP motors as I have Neu’s. With that being said their could be exceptions to my experiences.

The old Neu motors were great, but in recent years the quality has slipped. Some motor sizes may still be OK, but the higher volume sellers like the 1521 1.5D have dropped in quality.
    TP also had quality issues in the beginning but listened to feedback from their customers and improved.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

I've also moved to TP motors but the only issue, if you call it that, is that their cooling jackets are not adequate. The volume of water that passes through is just not as good as HRC, for example. But, the motors itself is very good, built well.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    TP has surpassed Neu motors in quality.
    Scorpion outrunners are not the best match and very few have experience with their inrunners.

Go with a TP.
    Scorpion makes very nice inrunners. I have the 2200kv one but have not tried it yet. It's very well made!!
    Nortavlag Bulc

I switched from Neu to TP Power for several reasons and don't get me wrong, I've been an early adopter of Neu and have many successful races with them in the past AND was around at early SAWs when TP Power motors were tried with less than perfect reliability. But as has been stated, TP Power HAS been improved - the company President is a serious modeler(as is his friend Steve Neu) and has done his homework to improve the line. As far as the comment about "TP's getting hot in the same conditions as Neu", I haven't experienced that - in fact I really can't remember any time either Neu or TP Power got past the normal operating ranges (I setup my own rigs + my customer's rigs for oval sprints and don't get stressed much). I really don't have any data-driven empirical evidence to support my claims-only "seat of the pants" observations which have worked for me most of the time.
    One thing that is very much in TP Power's favor AFAIC is price; A Neu 1890KV 1521 1.5D on OSE is $269.99 compared to a very similarly spec'd TP Power 4060 1950KV motor at $119.99 )OSE price. I'll agree that the free TP Power cooling jacket seems undersized but OSE will add a larger one for $9.

While this doesn't prove anything as a valid scientific experiment, just watch & enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl5ebHR6wR4
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Wondering if a should stock up on a few extra TP's before the guy that make them reads this thread and decides to increase the price
    Team Liquid Dash

Word's been out for years - The vid I posted was made five years ago - after that I got the NAMBA 2-Lap record with the boat.

I have a set of brand new 1512 1,5Y NEU MOTORS Made in 2010 (1850kV) for a twin catamaran setup 39" , are they good motors for 5S - 18,5 Volts on each ?
    Last edited by Alfa Spirit; 08-24-2018 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    For what? For top-end racing I’d choose a TP. For fun sport running almost any motor will work, but i dont buy the lowest cost option.

Hey Jay how are you doing? I am starting to gear up for the Nationals here in Dallas and was on the site thinking about buying a 1527/1y for my Q Hydro. Interesting comments on TP. Anyone, which TP motor is roughly the equivalent?

Quote Originally Posted by Bp9145 View Post
    I've also moved to TP motors but the only issue, if you call it that, is that their cooling jackets are not adequate. The volume of water that passes through is just not as good as HRC, for example. But, the motors itself is very good, built well.
    Just do this IMG-20180726-WA0000.jpg

On the left standard and on the right my modified nipples lol

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Word's been out for years - The vid I posted was made five years ago - after that I got the NAMBA 2-Lap record with the boat.
    I'm going to guess that the latest version of these motors could possibly be even more efficient.
    Good job Tony
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    I'm going to guess that the latest version of these motors could possibly be even more efficient.
    Good job Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Speedfreek View Post
    Just do this

On the left standard and on the right my modified nipples lol

Nice!
    What is the size of the motor and what is the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfa Spirit View Post
    Nice!
    What is the size of the motor and what is the boat?
    TP5850 , Mystic 138 CFC at the painters nearly ready to go, summer is just around the corner here
    Last edited by Speedfreek; 09-22-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Anyone using the larger TP 58's having issues? I have the TP 58 1250kv D wind in my Oberto hydro. I have fried two sword 220s using a 1914/3 ABC. Runs were under 2 minutes full throttle. The solder on center motor wire gave way. I time my runs at 2 min tops. I was wondering if the 6 poles vs 4 poles is causing too much "ripple" current. I believe all large TP motors are 6 poles. I have the newer sword 220x, but I am afraid to try it and fry it. Hearing the NEU quality is lower nowadays (above), don't know if I want to drop 3 bills on a 1527 1y plus a new motor mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Navherc130 View Post
    Anyone using the larger TP 58's having issues? I have the TP 58 1250kv D wind in my Oberto hydro. I have fried two sword 220s using a 1914/3 ABC. Runs were under 2 minutes full throttle. The solder on center motor wire gave way. I time my runs at 2 min tops. I was wondering if the 6 poles vs 4 poles is causing too much "ripple" current. I believe all large TP motors are 6 poles. I have the newer sword 220x, but I am afraid to try it and fry it. Hearing the NEU quality is lower nowadays (above), don't know if I want to drop 3 bills on a 1527 1y plus a new motor mount.
    how many cells are you running?
    sounds like you need a 300amp esc min.
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

What about Leopard motors in this discussion?
    I have seen a few who have great results with them..

Leopards are very close to tp in speed.

But the leopards will not be reliable over 30000 to 35000 rpm. They will need more frequent bearing change if you choice to have high rpm no load setup.

Think the motor was a 5650 TP and was using 6s2p. Going down to a 40mm motor. Too many choices. I may just spring for the 1527 1y, but the motor leads look awful short!

Quote Originally Posted by Bp9145 View Post
    Agreed. Just started working with the TP motors and the stock water jackets are woefully inadequate. I saw the post about boring out the water nipples, not gonna do much as the issue is volume, not enough area between the jacket and casing to the point of being somewhat restrictive. Do yourselves a favor and opt for the red OSE jacket for a few bucks more or the HRC for the 56mm can motors.
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

I don’t know guys. The 3630 motors I have run well but run hot. I had a 4070 equivalent to a 1521 in size About 2050 KV. Burnt up 2 controllers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by don ferrette View Post
    or the HRC
    What's the deal with the itty bitty water inlet/outlet on these? Beautiful craftsmanship and with limited flow due to the fittings.

I'm down to one boat with a Neu in it.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    What's the deal with the itty bitty water inlet/outlet on these? Beautiful craftsmanship and with limited flow due to the fittings.

I'm down to one boat with a Neu in it.
    Same here with Neu.

I think HRC designed them that way maybe for specific flow??? I thought I was told this before, could be wrong.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast