Thread: sealing old mylar boat decals

Default sealing old mylar boat decals

I recently purchased a Traxxas villain IV rc boat from the late 80s, it was new in the box. I applied some of the stock mylar sticker type decals but the edges don't seem sealed. I was really careful cutting them out and applying them; however, I did have to use a light soap solution to apply them (mostly water with a couple drops of baby soap) because some of them were quite big and had to get in tight awkward spaces. But the edges don't seem to be sticking, either due to age or the fact I had to use a solution.

Anybody know a way to seal the decals on the edges so they don't start pealing off with use? I read somewhere wax (but without more information on what type of wax) I was thinking of just taking a toothpick with elmers glue to seal the edges unless there is a better solution.

They make edge sealants for vinyl.

lil pricey but does what it says just mask around what needs to be sprayed and cover anything you don't
    https://www.uscutter.com/ClearJet-Li...SABEgIumPD_BwE
    some peeps have had success with this but almost any clear coat could do as long it's compatible with your paint. clear nail polish is excellent once again check paint compatibility i've done this on model slot cars you DO NOT want to use the bottle's brush, Do use a small fine modeler's brush and carefully apply just the edge of sticker carefully some decals and stickers may want to curl so if you can try on a flash (extra) piece from the sticker if possible first,
    or read this
    https://fullintensitygrafx.com/the-b...coat-stickers/

what boat stickers i've cleared over, was when i knew to spray clear the whole job after the Decal or sticker(s) were applied that's the best way.
    then i use Dupl-icolor clear. since i'm a rattle can man.
    you may without touching the sticker to wet sand the area with 1000 grit sand paper 1st.
    if using nail polish just a small wipe of rubbing alcohol should suffice since your only trying to hit the edge of the sticker, CAUTION:remember nail polish is thick.