Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Zonda full CF 980mm

Default New Zonda full CF 980mm

Thought I'd start a thread on this one being that it's not a popular hull. I first discovered this boat back in April of 2016, yet couldn't find any builds or any other info, other than people telling me not to waste my money. So I forgot about it and moved on. Then a few months ago, it pops up again as the "animal cat" from Oxidean Marine. So I looked into it and found the boat is still manufactured by the same company, DYmotorshop. However, the hull that was $315 in 2016 is now $389. So I bought it from DYmotorshop direct. There's a whole thing with Oxidean that I called him out on, but that's another story. Anyway, back to the boat. It's made completely with plain weave carbon fiber. Measured out at 37 3/4" x 11 9/16" and weighs exactly 3 lbs. So far, I did my usual reinforcements to it which added 12.8 oz. of weight to it. After the reinforcement, I made up the hatch hold downs and installed them. I'm under a time crunch to get this boat painted, so the building has stopped for the moment. I'm having my painter, Zach's Customs, paint this boat to replicate the AMH Motorsports race boat. He happens to be friends with the owner/driver and there's an upcoming offshore race in Clearwater, FL. on Sept.28. We're gonna bring my boat to the press event the day prior to the race for the driver and throttleman can autograph the canopy, then Zach can do the final clear coat on it. My boat will be displayed next to the race boat for most of the day...really looking forward to this!! So, I won't be able to get back on rigging until the second week of October. The drives should be here in two weeks, the rudder is here already, ordered two Poseidon P1515-2200Kv motors, and will be running on 6s. I'm on the fence about which esc's to run. I just bought a Swordfish X 220 for my Geico boat, but haven't run it yet. It was suggested to me to get a pair of ZTW 200's for the Zonda. A friend tells me that he knows two people that bought ZTW's for their boats. One lasted two runs, the other about 18 seconds. The person who recommended the ZTW's to me is a very high end boat guy and this brand of esc was his suggestion only second to an MGM. Not sure what to do, but I have plenty of time to think about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Excellent, good to see another one. A fella up my way built one for rigged for 12s loosely based on my bigger 41”.

Wow 12s!!

I have the 41" glass/carbon/kevlar version. I used it for three minutes and the side of it developed a crack right where the inlay stops. So I bought the all CF hull and gave the 41 hull to my painter as a tip for the paint work he's doing to this boat and the upcoming boat project.

i remember when i first saw it on Kintec. i ended up doing a Popeye build. I like the Zonda, build that Boat.

I'm gonna make it fast!! And the paint will be show quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
    Wow 12s!!
    Yup, 12s and 1020kv’s on mine:

That's cool!!! And what a great place to run!

So the stuff tube broke away from it's attachment points? Did the flex survive?

So the stuff tube broke away from it's attachment points? Did the flex survive?
    Yes it did. I have since found the vibration that caused it. I still need to sand and paint the ride surface and she is good to go again.
    Yeah that lake is a beautiful spot, private behind a gate, but the geese got in there and brought a weed and now at this time of year it’s tuff running.

I’ll give some thought to ESCs for you. I like Etti’s for SAW. Maybe the 150 Opto would do the trick for you? I have heard they are tuff.

Ok thanks. Yeah, I have no experience with Etti esc's.

Ok thanks. Yeah, I have no experience with Etti esc's.
    I have a pair of the 220HV Etti’s in that Zonda. Been in there 4years. The only pain with them is that programming is all trigger and beeps.
    They are reasonably compact for their duty rating. Oh the other pain is that they are a little jumpy off the start. Good response once moving and after the first couple starts

Hmmm. I'll have to think about them. 4 years on them huh?

Hmmm. I'll have to think about them. 4 years on them huh?
    And still going. I have had decent luck with Flier as well but they tend to get a little bulky. There is another I had heard good things about but I can’t place the name right now. It’ll come.
    There are a lot of issues with MGM and 4pole Motors FYI. They don’t play well with TP or Neu.

Ahh ok. I'm still trying to get more info on the ZTW's.

went to "Quote" and it didn't read.
    Last edited by Stillwet; 08-17-2018 at 12:53 AM. Reason: went to quote did'nt read

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    And still going. I have had decent luck with Flier as well but they tend to get a little bulky. There is another I had heard good things about but I can’t place the name right now. It’ll come.
    There are a lot of issues with MGM and 4pole Motors FYI. They don’t play well with TP or Neu.
    i wonder why that is? i'm going to find out, MGM are pricey, pay that kinda coin for an esc it better play well with all the neighbor hood kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillwet View Post
    i wonder why that is? i'm going to find out, MGM are pricey, pay that kinda coin for an esc it better play well with all the neighbor hood kids.
    As I recall it was something to do with stator slots or something. They were designed for LMT and Hacker Motors which are 2pole.
    There are a couple spots in threads where it comes up. Look to Tyler (Racemechanix) in them. It may have been in Travis’ thread somewhere. He loves Neu motors and hates MGM.

As I recall it was something to do with stator slots or something. They were designed for LMT and Hacker Motors which are 2pole.
    There are a couple spots in threads where it comes up. Look to Tyler (Racemechanix) in them. It may have been in Travis’ thread somewhere. He loves Neu motors and hates MGM.
    a European thing, see they don't play well with others HA!
    yeah and just recently on another thread Mr.Steve V. was at one time going to carry that line of esc's. there's 23 just in Marine, but he's not now. i was thinking i wanted to try this brand just to try them out i can't write them off until i find out more, just have to get the appropriate motor(s)
    But i still enjoy MGM's movies
    thanx for that bit of info.
    i emailed them soon as i was finished reading here last night.
    you guys are going for 12S in these, Dang!
    i've yet to do twins, heck i had three kids but one at one time (:
    Last edited by Stillwet; 08-17-2018 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Shhh!

I'm doing 6s, not 12. However, there may be a boat down the road that I'll do 12s in...but it'll be a big one. I'm also itching for an FG brushless onroad to run on 8s or maybe 10. Seen one running 107 mph and I have to have one lol.

Stopped by my painter's place today so I can get the hatch bolt reinforcements epoxied in and to see how the hull is coming along.
    Attached Images Attached Images

which latch hatch bolts? spring or thumb or ?
    Last edited by Stillwet; 08-19-2018 at 11:36 PM. Reason: put in hatch Ha!

which latch hatch bolts? spring or thumb or ?
    Neither. I'm using 4x12mm stainless button head screws with neoprene washers. You can see the aluminum bar that I epoxied in, drilled and tapped in post #1.

Neither. I'm using 4x12mm stainless button head screws with neoprene washers. You can see the aluminum bar that I epoxied in, drilled and tapped in post #1.
    Great job on that. Hatch will be good n solid on there

Great job on that. Hatch will be good n solid on there
    Thanks, I sure hope so!! This is my first time doing hatch bolts instead of tape lol.

Watertight sponge tape Kyosho Part # 94450 if it is thick enough. It's about 7.5mm wide and 4mm thick
    i've used it on a few builds. it can be thin for some applications.
    the material is nothing like most weather strip. i wish i could find it thicker.
    i see the tapped gussets, i have a couple of boats with screws and blind nuts.
    Tape gets old fast, i always forget on purpose.
    Last edited by Stillwet; 08-20-2018 at 03:16 PM. Reason: added additional information

Watertight sponge tape Kyosho Part # 94450 if it is thick enough. It's about 7.5mm wide and 4mm thick
    i've used it on a few builds. it can be thin for some applications.
    the material is nothing like most weather strip. i wish i could find it thicker.
    i see the tapped gussets, i have a couple of boats with screws and blind nuts.
    Tape gets old fast, i always forget on purpose.
    4mm isn't thick enough to seal?

Awesome build! Subscribing!!

Quote Originally Posted by emspjay View Post
    Awesome build! Subscribing!!
    Thank you sir! Gonna be a little slow though. My painter has the boat for the last three weeks and I won't have it back until after Sept.28.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast