Thread: Motor Timing, Can Someone Explain How It Works To Me?

Default Motor Timing, Can Someone Explain How It Works To Me?

I know there are different motor timing settings, 0*, 15*, 22.5* and so on, but how does it work?? How do you figure out an optimum setting? I have 2 Leopard motors, one is a 4074 1800KV and the other is a 4082 2000KV, i can't find anywhere that says what timing should be set at on these motors. I set my ESC's at 0*, the reason i ask is because a buddy of mine told me that they should "probably" be set at at least 15*, but i have no idea what that means or how it works!! Thanks for any explanation!!

Leopard motors are either D wind or Y wind, the 2 motors you have are D wind. D wind motors like low timing 0 - 5 degrees, Y wind motors like 10 - 15 degrees. You need to look up specs on particular motors to find what wind they are.

Lower timing is when the ESC fires the coil late (when it’s real close to the magnet) and that will slightly reduce the Rpm that the motor produces but the torque will be slightly higher. Higher timing the ESC fires the coil earlier (when it’s still further away from the magnet) so that's going to increase the motor’s RPM, but slightly reduce it's torque because it waste some of it's energy by striking or firing early or to soon. Be aware that higher heat comes with higher timing in most cases. Good luck with it
    Last edited by MADRCER; 08-21-2018 at 06:04 PM.
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

MADRCER

Sorry but I think you have it backwards,
    "Y" -- 10 to 15
    "D" -- 0 to 5

On a "Y" Motor - as timing goes up - RPM goes up and torque goes down. - so you have to find the happy point that your boat likes.

On a "D" motor - the only thing that timing will effect is HEAT (Higher timing causes HEAT) - It does not effect RPM or Torque

I set my "D" motors to 1 degree just enough to stop cogging. ( I know some ESC's only have 0-5-10-15 settings)

Larry
    Last edited by TRUCKPULL; 08-21-2018 at 07:17 PM.
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Larry, You're right I had the Rpm and Torque lines backwards above in my post. I corrected it now. Thanks for catching it.
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

So the next question is if you have the exact same KV motors and one is a Y and the other is a D then which one will pull more amps? To me the D's seem faster and that's probably because they are easier to tune compared to the Y's but it seems like the D motors I have ran have always pulled more amps than the Y motors.
    Team Liquid Dash

I also made a change to my post above for "D" motors (Higher Timing causes HEAT) with NO effect to RPM or Torque.

Ray I prefer "D" for Mono's - They have More Torque to turn a bigger Prop that Mono's usually likes ( with higher AMP's. of coarse)
    "Y" for Sport Hydro's - 15 degrees timing ( light running hulls like RPM, but donot need a lot of torque)

In my twin CAT I run a pair of "Y" Motors ( cats can run light when setup right)

I have seen single CAT's with "D" motors using big props.

I donot run Riggers - but would assume a "Y" also

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Solid info here, thanks!! So from the sounds of it running my Leopards at 0* is correct for them.

Leopard "D" winds to me like a little timing 3.75 if you are using Seaking or Turnigy and the Tp power "D" winds seemed to do better at 0.

I would love to see a esc that can transition from Y to D, this would give the best of both worlds high torque off the corner and rpm for long runs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Well actually, the auto setting is “supposed” to do that, vary the timing dependent on the load of the motor. I guess it’s a trust factor thing. I have run auto, seems to work ok.

Quote Originally Posted by jim82 View Post
    Leopard "D" winds to me like a little timing 3.75 if you are using Seaking or Turnigy and the Tp power "D" winds seemed to do better at 0.
    TP motors are very low inductance, so I agree, zero degrees is the right setting on those motors.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    Well actually, the auto setting is “supposed” to do that, vary the timing dependent on the load of the motor. I guess it’s a trust factor thing. I have run auto, seems to work ok.
    They may claim that it will do that but it can't. D and Y are to completely different ways the motor is wound so you would need a motor like the Proteus 524 and a 6 lead ESC

I run mostly d wind motors and 1 y wind on the same ESC without changing timing. I run default timing which is 15 degrees for seaking ESC and traxxas spartan ESC and the ose raider 150. I don't have no heat issues.

I know other persons who run y wind motors. And they stuff run way hotter than mine.

In fact my motor connectors and motor don't seem to change temperature. A least for 4092 motors.