Thread: 50 amp esc for shock wave

Default 50 amp esc for shock wave

I am thinking of up grading to a 50 amp esc . but it looks to have two water inlets and out lets. stock esc only has one . what is the proper way to adapt this? thanks

Just use a short piece of water tubing and U-turn the water back tru its self.
    PROBOAT BlackJack 24", ShockWave 26"
    MRP U-31, 3 tunnels VS1, MRP Bud Light, Dumas HS Sprint

Quote Originally Posted by JestDanny View Post
    Just use a short piece of water tubing and U-turn the water back tru its self.
    There looks to be 2 different sizes larger for water cooling .then the smaller one I should loop ? is this cange from 30 amp to 50 amp worth while. how will I notice a change ? thanks new to remote boating

You won't see any change at all. It won't hurt anything, but if you aren't drawing enough amps to stress the 30 amp one you won't see any difference using a 50 amp one. It will probably run cooler though due to being designed for more current and having the cooling loop.

What do you actually want to accomplish by upgrading? I have a Shockwave 26 also, had it for several years. It's a reliable little boat if you don't try to overpower it.

I'm assuming you have the green shockwave. If so I know that running a 5ooomah and 50c lipo will overheat that stock system! Aquacraft offers an 80amp for about $80 which will cure the over heating with that battery. I've done slight mods to my sons and mine to get a 7min run at about 35mph and still have everything cool. feel free if you have more questions.
    SW26 V3 Green 35mph , Swifter Hydro 26. Delta Force 35. cars ,3 Rustlers 45-76 Mph.

Quote Originally Posted by gearhd48 View Post
    I'm assuming you have the green shockwave. If so I know that running a 5ooomah and 50c lipo will overheat that stock system! Aquacraft offers an 80amp for about $80 which will cure the over heating with that battery. I've done slight mods to my sons and mine to get a 7min run at about 35mph and still have everything cool. feel free if you have more questions.
    Hello yes I was given the green shockwave as a gift . so I am a raw beginner . I did purchase another battery ,but we are on vaca . now will check its stats when I get home.really enjoying the boat and am just learning . thank you

If you aren't having any overheating or other problems, there is no reason to change the ESC. Spend your time on tuning the boat to run well and have fun.

Thanks ;my boat runs great. What are the signs of over heating. What tuning is there? thanks

On that boat there isn't a whole lot of tuning. As stated if your not overheating, which is hot battery, ESC or motor your the battery your using is good. The type or lipo #C is good. If and when you want to go faster is where money and tuning come in. Those are good boats, small problems may occur. Make sure you have foam in the front to save from drowning, and lube the shaft and you'll be fine!
    SW26 V3 Green 35mph , Swifter Hydro 26. Delta Force 35. cars ,3 Rustlers 45-76 Mph.

thanks so much .I lube shaft all ways .this puts my mind at ease. I really enjoy the sport at the beach.what your take on a metal prop vs. plastic

There is but don't recall the # a stainless replacement for that. Unless your looking to increase the speed and spend lots of money on improvements USE the plastic! If you want to improve things a little, I can recommend Getting the 80amp aquacraft ESC, and then get a 5000mah 11.1 50c batteries. The prop shafts are weak, so next would have to remove shaft tube and replace with a 1/4'' brass tube. Then buy a $25 1.50 shaft from OSE. About 12'' and cut to size, then adjust the tube angle upward about 1-2 degrees. You'll also have to buy a collet/motor-cable connector to fit new shaft. THEN you can use an Octura 642 brass prop balanced and sharpened. this will get you about 35mph for around 7min. The stock collets are weak and so are the shafts, which are main complaints on this boat. So as you see if you up ONE THING leads to another! Again don't forget to put pool noodles, packing air bags or what ever to keep your boat. OH, also if waves are rough, OR you decide to up the speed you'll need to tape the hatch to keep it from breaking! So keep it stock and enjoy or jump in and learn the hard way of learning about boats. we will help you where we can.

There's no way I'd put that kind of money and effort into a Shockwave. Unless you also reinforce the hull with carbon fiber, it's still going to be too flexible to handle the waves at speed. And if you're going to do all of that, you might as well start with a fiberglass boat that's actually built to take abuse and last.

The tuning is fairly simple. You can blueprint the back part of the hull to make it perfectly flat. That will eliminate a lot of the bouncing. Before going into that though, basic tuning is adjusting the strut to get the right running angle and then fine tuning its behavior in the water with trim tabs.

I do agree that there's boats for different needs and applications. I got started with this boat, and I'm trying to let this guy know that there's money that can be put to better things. But also note we've had a guy here that posted 68mph with this boat! But he is an experienced boater. I was happy learning all the things I did, even though I found out the hard way that I should have done it differently and could've had a better boat, like I do now. But I couldn't have built this one without learning on that one. We all have to start some where.

I do notsee the 80 amp on aquacraft?

I am sorry but I misspoke on the 80 amp, it is 50 AMP. I would suggest this one that is in mine for the same price, Hobby Wing "SeaKing" 120 v3 Amp ESC that is sold here at OSE, it is also programable. My son has the 50Amp. Now, I also am running a 2030 6pole motor for more torque on mine. AquaCraft Brushless 6-Pole Marine Motor 36-56-2030 sold here as well. I will try to post pics of mine, if that will help.

For what it's worth I posted new pics of my SW26 if you are thinking of going this direction to learn.

Also that ESC I mentioned can handle 14.8 volt batteries if you decide to go nuts! Keep I mind that you can use this stuff in 31- 33 hulls like the Delta force 33''. Again this hobby can be expensive to learn. I've had 2 SW26 and am happy with the 35mph with this one and I'm tuning the Delta force 35" now. Take your time and read and think things out and continue to ask questions.

Gearhead thanks for the info and advise. I am very happy with the speed now .as I am still learning to control and steer. need a lot more experience .but totally enjoying the hobby

Glad to hear it!!

if I do install the 50 amp esc will I need to do anything with the radio?

you will need to program the new esc to suit your motor winding / lipo cells / low voltage / etc, also you must set the throttle calibration so the esc reads full throttle when the tx is at full throttle.

egads that sounds pretty involved .will I require new tools? meters?

with a new esc you will either use the supplied set up manual to program the new esc by counting the number of beeps etc etc or you can purchase a cheap programming card suited to your specific esc brand. either way its not a hard task.

If it's the quacraft 50 it has nothing to set, just plug and go! The radio and receiver is when you need to synchronize them!

so the aquacraft 50 amp esc doesn,t need any programming for your motor and battery readings ? thats weird.

Yea your small Proboat, Aquacrft ESC's are just a brick with wires. The stock shockwave one doesn't have anything for programming.

Thats nuts. i have small 10 amp turnigy esc,s that come with a programming manual.