Thread: How do you store your Li-po's

Default How do you store your Li-po's

So I have been using Li-po's since about 2006 and I only have a had few puff up on my after running (I of course disposed of those properly and never brought them in the house). I have a few that are 9 years old. I have always stored them in the house at storage voltage and always charge them in a Li-po bag. I don't think these battery's are unsafe in storage. I think they only pose a hazard during running, right after running, charging, and if they get physical damage or shorted. On another one of my threads I have a picture and you can see Li-po's being stored on a shelf. I was told to store them outside. I'm now going to store them in a ammo tin but I don't see the point in putting them outside, I live in MI and the temps can go from -20 in the winter to high 90's in the summer. I think it would be best still storing them inside but in the ammo tin just in case. Thoughts? Opinions?

After almost burning my house down while charging 6S packs in parallel, I store mine outside in an old cleaned up BBQ, works great, lots of space and of course designed to handle a fire! My temps usually don't go much below zero in the winter and summers are not too hot. Someone on here a while back had a pretty cool design of a box made out of flame-proof drywall for indoor storage, maybe someone will chime in with a link.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone-Wolf View Post
    After almost burning my house down while charging 6S packs in parallel, I store mine outside in an old cleaned up BBQ, works great, lots of space and of course designed to handle a fire! My temps usually don't go much below zero in the winter and summers are not too hot. Someone on here a while back had a pretty cool design of a box made out of flame-proof drywall for indoor storage, maybe someone will chime in with a link.
    Wow! But that was during charging, I don't think the threat is during storage. I saw another thread on another site where someone converted a two drawer metal cabinet, bottom drawer was for charging and top was for storing. That looks like a better idea for charging than the bags and it about the same as a ammo tin for storage.

After the fire, even though it was of course from charging, it freaked me out so I just am super paranoid now.

The metal cabinet sounds like a good idea.

Default Battery Storage Bunker

Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Geez I missed this one Larry. That’s a great idea and I’m sure I can find some drywall around. Lol

That's awesome I'm going to make one!

I believe you are right about storage being not being too risky, all the fires I know of have been on charge, in use or shortly after use.

I store mine in the fridge, low temps (but above freezing so there is no crystallisation of the electrolyte) slow down the chemical reactions, and minimise the capacity loss over time that is always occurring. It also means that I see them several times a day so if there was an abnormality in a pack I could isolate it and dispose of it minimising the risk of fire. Should I have a fire it also doesn't seem to be a bad place to have one, in a contained cold box to neutralize some of the heat, but with a huge pressure relief door so there isn't an explosion, in a room with a tiled floor, no soft furnishings, a smoke alarm, 2 different forms of fire extinguisher, and a water source.

If you use an ammo can to store LiPos don't forget to drill some holes in the lid and remove the seal for pressure relief, or you at turning a potential fire into a potential explosion.

Storage in -20 will chrystalise the electrolyte severely reducing your LiPos capacity very quickly, they would be fit only for the bin after months of it. Storage at 90 is better but will still reduce their lifespan, and if the container gets direct sun on it it could get much hotter inside, I once puffed a lot of my LiPos by leaving them in my car for a weekend in 90 heat, it was much hotter than 90 inside, maybe it went over the 140 that can kill a LiPo in seconds, or maybe 120 sustained for hours will do it too.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

I use a few Sentry safes for mine.