Thread: Say no to plastic

Default Say no to plastic

So I’m new to rc boating
    Thought I did a bunch of research & found
    Spartan & m41 would be the best bang for my buck
    Now I’m here with melting connections over heating esc & a boat that wants to roll over like a dog when I punch it
    Question is what to buy for a REAL boat
    Thinkin duel motor cat
    Input is needed
    Thnx

There are plenty of very good boat hulls available to suit your needs. Its your choice to select which type of hull you prefere as in a Mono Hull / Cat / Tunnel Hull or Hydroplane Hull plus your budget. solet us know which hull is prefered and how many dollars you have in your pocket.

You could take the hardware off the Traxxas and slap it on a glass hull. Lots of options right here on OSE.

If you want a twin cat there are a couple great rtr available. The Promarine boats are killer and the Proboat Zeles is a runner too.
    Noisy person

Mono hulls like the Spartan are more stable than the other types. That gives you more days you can run it wind wise.

Cool

As a new boater, perhaps some of the troubles you are having are due to your inexperience with FE boats. Plus, the Spartan has some weaknesses which can be addressed without buying an entire new boat. Asking questions in the OSE Spartan sub forum might help you be more satisfied with your Spartan. Lots of folks like them and have learned how to avoid most of the issues.

If you decide to go with a different boat, I would not recommend that you build a boat from scratch just yet, first gain some more experience and success with an RTR. As others have said there are a lot of choices, some better than others. You might consider a boat for sale by members here on OSE. Help us make recommendations by giving us some information about your needs:

- type of running you do - oval, speed runs, etc.
    - speed desired
    - run time desired
    - type of water - protected pond, lake, ocean, rough or calm water
    - budget
    - are there other FE boaters near you?

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Because the Spartan is plastic dosnt make it a bad handling boat compared with a glass hull, the Spartan over the years has had a fair amount of knockers. Their are plenty that have run Spartans @ 50+ mph with great success, providing they have some experience on set ups & what to look out for. It is probably more to do with little or no experience in running or building fast electric boats that cause problems whether it be a plastic boat or high end glass boat fitted with expensive components.

Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Because the Spartan is plastic dosnt make it a bad handling boat compared with a glass hull, the Spartan over the years has had a fair amount of knockers. Their are plenty that have run Spartans @ 50+ mph with great success, providing they have some experience on set ups & what to look out for. It is probably more to do with little or no experience in running or building fast electric boats that cause problems whether it be a plastic boat or high end glass boat fitted with expensive components.

Ok so how bout this
    I have a spartan & m41
    Trying to get the m41 to go faster
    Upgraded batteries to 7600 3s 75c
    Now the esc is over heating in 3 min
    Shal I replace esc or both esc & motor
    What shal I use
    Any help would be appreciated thnx

You probably just need to improve the cooling if that's your only problem. Do you have dual water pickups and exits? That's a good place to start.

What is FE &SAW
    Live on a lake
    Had a speed boat 16’ did 70
    Now I putt in a pontoon
    Guy passed me in a rc boat
    Now I have a spartan & m41
    I wanna go fast!!
    Spartan is good fer choppy days
    M41 is for speed ,, I hope
    Duel water rudder. Fancy water jacket for motor. It was fast & reliable on the 50c battery’s. with 75c it overheats esc quickly. I’m asking before I dump $$
    Into this shal I upgrade to a glass Hull
    Preferably a duel motor. Hehe more power or would a motor & esc swap get me back
    I do have some props coming from doctorprop ss balanced they are about 2 weeks out

Fe is fast electric
    Saw is straight away

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone successful at going fast with the m41. The spartan not much faster if any. 50ish mph maybe. Seems like the m41 porpoises badly and the Spartan chine walks. Play with those for a bit I guess, and learn what you can and how to fix the issues with them. Then pick up a veles. That boat is a runner. I had one in my shop not long ago and it’s built well. 70+ is no problem for this boat.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I never purchased one of the Traxxas boats but my neighbor has a Spartan but he does not run it hard and it works for him. I went straight for the TFL Genesis fiberglass cat and dumped a ton of money into it, it was fast but a handful to drive with the narrow beam. I sold it and just picked up a dual motor TFL Zonda cat, should be more stable since it is wider longer and has counter rotating motors. Can't wait to get it together and try it out. If you do another cat get a twin.

The Spartan makes a lot of sense if you want a 35 mph boat that you can easily see, don't have to do any building to, and has a great warranty. If you want it to go the speed that it says on the box you're going to be disappointed.

A lot run the Spartan reliably on 5s @ around 42-43 mph.

My point above is that if you want 60+ mph, which is the speed that Traxxas claims the boat can go, you'll have to do a lot of work and spend a significant money to get it there.

Where do you get Traxxas claim 60 mph + from a stock boat, all the claims i have seen claim 50 mph + on 6s.

Only claim 50
    I was hoping with new esc & motor
    Bigger prop & battery’s I could
    Achieve this
    Still waiting on esc & motor recommendations

Not sure what comes with those Traxxas boats. I had a Leopard 4080 1600kv motor, Seaking 180 ESC on 6s, x445 prop in my Genesis and it had to be running at least 50mph.

4082 1600 Leopard, 180 seaking esc, ec5 connectors and x442 and x445 prop depending on wanted run times. Put a good set of lipo's like 70c with two 3s. Get the Ose flex cable upgrade and then the fun begins. Add a set of inner trim tabs.

So 4082 1600
    What about going to a 1800,2000. Or 2200
    What are the benefits of going whith 1600