Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My TFL Zonda cronicals

Default My TFL Zonda cronicals

So my Zonda showed up from OSE! Just got it unboxed. I will be taking it apart and upgrading it, just waiting on more stuff to arrive from OSE. The add said it came with SeaKing 120ESC's but I was surprised it came with the SeaKing 180's, especially because I am going to put the one from my Genesis in it along with another one I just purchased. So I will have one new in box to sell and one of these new take outs for sale. I am going with Leopard 4082 1600KV motors on 6s. I purchased both 442x and 445x props but not sure what to use? Also got the stuff for dual cooling and the one piece drive shafts coming from OSE.

DSCN3141.jpgDSCN3142.jpgDSCN3143.jpgDSCN3144.jpg

nice unit. see you have plenty of batteries on the shelf, inside the house. no no.

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    nice unit. see you have plenty of batteries on the shelf, inside the house. no no.
    I have never had a Lipo puff on me in storage only when running. How do you store yours? I do have metal ammo containers.

I know what your thinking but there have been many house fires where guys leaving there lipos inside the house and without notice the lipo explodes into flames and there goes the house. ever since reading about these happenings I now always leave my battery packs outside in ammunition tin . there have also been many reports of IPhones exploding so its not just our model lipo batteries at fault. you should play it safe and store outdoors just incase.

I know what your thinking but there have been many house fires where guys leaving there lipos inside the house and without notice the lipo explodes into flames and there goes the house. ever since reading about these happenings I now always leave my battery packs outside in ammunition tin . there have also been many reports of IPhones exploding so its not just our model lipo batteries at fault. you should play it safe and store outdoors just incase.
    Great point! I have extra ammo tins, so I should start putting them to use for my hobby batteries since we don't really know the quality controls on them. If my Iphone, Ipad, or laptop battery suddenly burst into flames I will be a very rich man.

Or unfortunetly a dead man. I no we can,t put all of our battery operated items out doors and in a tin but atleast we can with our hobby batteries.

Or unfortunetly a dead man. I no we can,t put all of our battery operated items out doors and in a tin but atleast we can with our hobby batteries.
    Smoke detectors work great if a sudden fire starts anywhere in your house.

So here is my update on the zonda. Got my other package from OSE today. Got the new servo in it took a little massaging of the radio plate with my Dremel tool for it to fit. So pics of the parts, using the 4082 1600KV leopard from my Genesis and a brand new one, also using a HW 180 ESC with UBEC from the Genesis to go with the new HW 180, dual pickup rudder, X442 props, and CNC 445 props. Not sure which props I should try first.

DSCN3145.jpgDSCN3146.jpgDSCN3147.jpgDSCN3148.jpg

So I got it together and did my first test run today and this thing is freaking amazingly SO FAST and much easier to control than the Genesis!! I will post some pics of everything in it. I did have my first blow over!! I did not think I had a fast enough set up for that but it did blow over running into the wind!! Nothing broke and it landed upright amazingly!! But the hit shut off my Garmin 101 GPS so I don't know how fast it was. I'm running Leopard 4082 1600KV motors with 180 Seaking ESC's with a UBEC, 5000Mah 50C 6s Lipo's on each side, Octura 442 props sharpened and balanced, and OSE one piece drive shafts. I love this boat after the first run!! I should have gone all in on this and not got the Genesis last year and just purchased one of these.
    DSCN3149.jpgDSCN3150.jpgDSCN3151.jpgDSCN3152.jpg

See if you can rotate your motor cooling cans so that the exiting nipple is on top and the cooling nipple is near the bottom. That way the can is full of cool water before exiting.

Oh yea, nice job looks good.

Great idea! Thank you Johnc! I will fix that tonight.

They are great boats

You might want to strip it down and add some cf along the underside of the deck, from the transom forward as far as you can reach. I bought this boat which came with two Seaking 180's, 4082 2000Kv SSS motors, 4019 props. Sloooow, but the side of the hull developed a hairline crack where the inlay stops, and I didn't even flip it. I wound up gutting it all out and giving the hull to my painter as a tip for two boats he's painting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
    You might want to strip it down and add some cf along the underside of the deck, from the transom forward as far as you can reach. I bought this boat which came with two Seaking 180's, 4082 2000Kv SSS motors, 4019 props. Sloooow, but the side of the hull developed a hairline crack where the inlay stops, and I didn't even flip it. I wound up gutting it all out and giving the hull to my painter as a tip for two boats he's painting for me.
    Are you referring to the seam? Where the top and bottom join. I also got a crack on one side and then laid a strip down the seam and then inlayed.over that. A good benefit is a brace/stringer between top deck and tunnel.
    The deck will flex under impact and that pushes the sides out and cracks the seam, I started this practice a few years back. I have pics somewhere.

Just above the seam actually. This boat is made with damn thin glass. You can easily see the flex in it by pressing anwhere around the hatch opening and the forward deck area. I don't do stringers...I use very high density closed cell polyurethane foam sheet to fill in all that free space under the deck. Flotation quality is excellent and that stuff will not let the deck compress.

And that is a great idea. Something like the Corning pink or blue construction foam?

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    And that is a great idea. Something like the Corning pink or blue construction foam?
    Go to www.foambymail.com and look under the "commercial" heading. You'll see the black closed cell foam there.

Go to www.foambymail.com and look under the "commercial" heading. You'll see the black closed cell foam there.

Certainly some nice options there. I got two 24”x48”x2” sheets in white some time back. I think I’ll do this in the R-42 build this fall.

Certainly some nice options there. I got two 24”x48”x2” sheets in white some time back. I think I’ll do this in the R-42 build this fall.
    Cool

Great info guys! This one seems very strong much thicker fiberglass than the Genesis I had, maybe they are building them a little stronger now? Really not any flex anywhere even around the hatch area. I have gone over the boat after the blow over and everything looks great. I think I'm going to run this thing until it breaks (hopefully no more blow overs), once it breaks I will strip it and find a quality full carbon fiber hull to put everything in. Got it ready for another run tomorrow! Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by emspjay View Post
    Great info guys! This one seems very strong much thicker fiberglass than the Genesis I had, maybe they are building them a little stronger now? Really not any flex anywhere even around the hatch area. I have gone over the boat after the blow over and everything looks great. I think I'm going to run this thing until it breaks (hopefully no more blow overs), once it breaks I will strip it and find a quality full carbon fiber hull to put everything in. Got it ready for another run tomorrow! Can't wait!
    I have a build thread going on the full carbon fiber Zonda.

Ran the boat again yesterday and it ran great!! NO Blow-overs!! Temps was great just warm to the touch on everything so I didn't ever pull out my heat gun. I think I'm going to try the 45mm props for the next run. My GPS was giving me problems again, it's a Garmin 101 that I have used in cars but it is nothing but problems in the boats.

Quote Originally Posted by emspjay View Post
    Ran the boat again yesterday and it ran great!! NO Blow-overs!! Temps was great just warm to the touch on everything so I didn't ever pull out my heat gun. I think I'm going to try the 45mm props for the next run. My GPS was giving me problems again, it's a Garmin 101 that I have used in cars but it is nothing but problems in the boats.
    If you are mounting inside the boat and the hull is CF it won’t ever work.

If you are mounting inside the boat and the hull is CF it won’t ever work.
    It's not the CF hull just fiberglass. The first run it shut off from the force of the blow over and I did not turn it on again until yesterday and it showed a max speed of 63.3MPH (I was surprised it still held the max speed after shutting down). Yesterday after I reset it and put it in the boat everything looked great, then when I pulled the boat back in and grabbed the GPS out it was in some sort of set up mode asking me where I was and if I had traveled far and had no speed registered.

Lol, I had so much trouble with GPS when oi started. Had a 101 and same stuff as you. Then went to a EagleTree and didn’t do a number of things. Really pissed me off. Prolly have to go thru it again since it’s been a year since last used. Be patient.

So I ran the Zonda again two nights ago but with the 45mm CNC props I had purchased. Boat ran amazing and very fast!! Handling was also great again! Wind was blowing the weeds out of my canal so I got it ready to run very fast. I did not put a GPS in it or bring out my temp gun but it was very fast and everything was just warm to the touch when I pulled the hatch. Love this boat it is great!! I will make sure to put the GPS in for the next run! Love the fact that this boat is so fast and looks good doing it! And it's not that hard to drive, I run it in a 40-50ft wide canal! I totally recommend this boat.

You could probably try 48's, even a pair of 50's with that motor.

You could probably try 48's, even a pair of 50's with that motor.
    Think I might get some next time I place an order from OSE. Just can't wait to get a solid run with GPS speed.

I'm new to this so bear with me....I have the same boat with TP 4050 1700kv, 180 Sea Kings, 45mm CNC props. Why does this boat take on so much water? Every time that I run it there is 4 - 6oz of water in the hull??? No cracks or damage to the outside of the hull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast