Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My TFL Zonda cronicals

Quote Originally Posted by EddieM41 View Post
    I'm new to this so bear with me....I have the same boat with TP 4050 1700kv, 180 Sea Kings, 45mm CNC props. Why does this boat take on so much water? Every time that I run it there is 4 - 6oz of water in the hull??? No cracks or damage to the outside of the hull.
    Could be coming in from where the stingers are mounted, where the rudder is mounted, from where the flex shafts enter through the stuff tubes, water fittings on esc's and water jackets, etc...

One of four things:
    1: broken water line that you cannot see. pull off inlet tube, plug outlet, blow through inlet tube with some water and watch were its leaking, been there done that (crack right at inlet of motor that I didn't see)
    2: leaking from motor cooling can. Pull off inlet plug outlet, blow through it with water and watch were its leaking. May need replace O-ring (been there done that, was able to go to ace hardware for new ones)
    3: Fittings on motor, thru hull fittings: same as above. extract them out and put some sealant on them and replace.
    4: not enough grease in the flex shaft (yea water works it way up) most likely not as much as you say though. BUT: anyways, put shrink wrap on the strut and stuffing tube.

I'm just a newbe (4yrs) just some of the things I've come across so far

Quote Originally Posted by Johnc View Post
    One of four things:
    1: broken water line that you cannot see. pull off inlet tube, plug outlet, blow through inlet tube with some water and watch were its leaking, been there done that (crack right at inlet of motor that I didn't see)
    2: leaking from motor cooling can. Pull off inlet plug outlet, blow through it with water and watch were its leaking. May need replace O-ring (been there done that, was able to go to ace hardware for new ones)
    3: Fittings on motor, thru hull fittings: same as above. extract them out and put some sealant on them and replace.
    4: not enough grease in the flex shaft (yea water works it way up) most likely not as much as you say though. BUT: anyways, put shrink wrap on the strut and stuffing tube.

I'm just a newbe (4yrs) just some of the things I've come across so far
    I'm not running the stock motors, drive shafts, cooling system, and only one stock 180 ESC that it came with. I pulled all the stock stuff and replaced it before I ran it for the first time. I grease the drive shafts after every run (main reason for getting the OSE one piece driveshafts). I don't have any water intrusion problems, it's actually the driest boat I have.

Quote Originally Posted by emspjay View Post
    I'm not running the stock motors, drive shafts, cooling system, and only one stock 180 ESC that it came with. I pulled all the stock stuff and replaced it before I ran it for the first time. I grease the drive shafts after every run (main reason for getting the OSE one piece driveshafts). I don't have any water intrusion problems, it's actually the driest boat I have.
    My bad Johnc I think you were responding to EddieM41

EddieM41 are you doing a good job a taping the hatch down? And as Johnc said are you greasing the driveshafts?

I grease the OSE flex shafts after every run. I had some water coming in around the flex shaft tubing (clear silicone) where it came through the hull. I put it in a bath tub and saw water coming up through the flex tube. Ill check the rudder mount. I'll also try the things that JohnC suggested. Thanks for the suggestions.

I grease the OSE flex shafts after every run. I had some water coming in around the flex shaft tubing (clear silicone) where it came through the hull. I put it in a bath tub and saw water coming up through the flex tube. Ill check the rudder mount. I'll also try the things that JohnC suggested. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Ok, I give up. I guess I'll have to stick with the water. I sealed the rudder mount, and stingers. I've replace all silicone tubing. Checked Orings on motors. Checked and sealed all water oulets. If the boat is moving, not sure how water can come up and through the stingers and flex shaft? Put multiple rows of tape on the hatch. Even if I didn't put enough grease on the shafts, while the boat was moving...there should be no water coming through? I put the boat in the water and take off until the voltage drops enough and I come in...no sitting in the water for more than 10 seconds.

Ok, I give up. I guess I'll have to stick with the water. I sealed the rudder mount, and stingers. I've replace all silicone tubing. Checked Orings on motors. Checked and sealed all water oulets. If the boat is moving, not sure how water can come up and through the stingers and flex shaft? Put multiple rows of tape on the hatch. Even if I didn't put enough grease on the shafts, while the boat was moving...there should be no water coming through? I put the boat in the water and take off until the voltage drops enough and I come in...no sitting in the water for more than 10 seconds.
    I'm at a loss for this question since I don't have the same problem, hopefully someone else will chime in. I do think I will reinforce the hull this winter due to the problems I hear everyone else having. It is only a matter of time before I have another blow over.

If you're getting water up through the stuffing tubes you can try creating a seal (sort of) with some heat shrink over the end of the stuffing tube or a small piece of cooling hose. The trick with cooling hose is to get the right size so you're no creating drag on the flex cable. Shrink tube works good, but you need to have a decent amount of exposed stuffing tube for it to grab onto. Sometime mounts get in the way.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

ok here is one that just got me, how about the rubber boots that go on the servo rod and attach to hull, I just had one torn underneath where I could not see it. When the boat slows or stops water usually rushes against the transom area. My fix was a ballon (kids party ballon).

And I’m with Ryan on the silicone tube over the stuffing tube. 4mmID should work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12