Quote Originally Posted by donhuff View Post
Why do you want to put the 1515 rotor in the gool? Ya know, you can make a fixture to put in the lathe , and it holds your dremel tool with a stone in it. Then bore out the stator's rotor hole until that rotor will just slide in it. Keep that air gap a tiny as possible, cause the tighter it is, the more torque/horsepower you make, for the same amount of amps used. I once bored out an AQ 2030 like that, and put a rotor out of a dyna 3835 1500 in it. That was the strongest AQ motor I ever built, but it was still no match for a stock 1500. I called it "Frank" short for Frankenstein!

I use a one ton arbor press from harbor freight. Use enough pressure until you get it little enough to fit inside the can. I just press them until I feel the resistance get pretty hard. That lets me know it's about as far as it will go.
But I don't think that it's necessary at all or has any bearing at all on the performance aspects of the motor. It's just to get them in the can. I really feel that they would cool better if left dangling in the air," IF" we had some air moving through the motors. Which we don't! Maybe being compressed helps carry the heat out through the stator ,case, cooling can, by making better contact with each wires surrounding wire. I have some insulating varnish which I have dipped a few wound stators in. It's supposed to lock all the wire in place so the don't wiggle and chafe the insulation, and transfer heat to the case better, because it is now one solid unit. I don't know for sure, but it does make them look good.
Thank you. Reading lots!