Thread: Garmin Forerunner® 405 GPS

Default Garmin Forerunner® 405 GPS

I just got a new GPS and I thought some of you might be interested in it because of its tiny size and light weight.
    As the title says it is the Garmin Forerunner® 405.
    I will let Garmin do most of the talking and just make a few comments.

First the +'s
    Light weight....just 41 grams without the watch band
    Size.... see pictures
    Easy to use.

The -'s
    You have to have a computer to see maximum speed but once set up on your computer you just have to be close to the computer with the GPS and it sends the information to the computer. A laptop at the lake.... hmmmm thinking about that.

The 405 minus the band

The 405 and the band

Some size comparisons

A link to the 405 webpage
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=11039
    Several boats in various stages of destruction

The device beside the GPS plugs into a USB port on your computer and receives the information from the GPS. You download a program from Garmin and that shows all the details of your run.

Cool, but I rather not have to lug the pc to the pond. Did you look at the forerunner 101? I used it this past summer with success. Its pretty small and as a plus if you walk or jog for exercise its a cool thing to train with. My doc said to loose weight or else. So I started walking, the forerunner keeps good track of the workout.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Cool, but I rather not have to lug the pc to the pond. Did you look at the forerunner 101? I used it this past summer with success. Its pretty small and as a plus if you walk or jog for exercise its a cool thing to train with. My doc said to loose weight or else. So I started walking, the forerunner keeps good track of the workout.
    My 101 is at the bottom of the lake Steven along with my Geko 201. The guy on the mainland I got this 405 from told me that it showed the max speed but forgot to tell me it shows it on a computer. If I had known that I would not have got this and got the 101 instead. Now I need a secretary at the lake. That is a good idea. Maybe I can get one on AdultFriendFinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzessperated View Post
    My 101 is at the bottom of the lake Steven along with my Geko 201. The guy on the mainland I got this 405 from told me that it showed the max speed but forgot to tell me it shows it on a computer. If I had known that I would not have got this and got the 101 instead. Now I need a secretary at the lake. That is a good idea. Maybe I can get one on AdultFriendFinder.
    No, you just need one of these tiny pc's.
    http://www.mobiletechreview.com/note...ng-Q1-UMPC.htm
    In the end it will be cheaper than a secretary!
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    No, you just need one of these tiny pc's.
    http://www.mobiletechreview.com/note...ng-Q1-UMPC.htm
    In the end it will be cheaper than a secretary!
    You have been reading my mind Steven. I have been thinking of one of the new mini notebook computers. I do computer programming for a hobby and I am making an FE model boat computer program. It would speed the programming side of it up if I could take it to work with me at night.
    Maybe a few bikini girls to hold my boats for pictures from AdultFriendFinder then!!!

I have an Asus Eee PC 1000H that works very well at the lake. If I turn off the wifi I can get about 6 hours of battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBoater View Post
    I have an Asus Eee PC 1000H that works very well at the lake. If I turn off the wifi I can get about 6 hours of battery life.

I have been looking at one of those Northern. They look like good value for money. I might have to leave it a week or two. Last week the GPS, this week a glider. The wife is starting to look at me in a strange way and speak Chinese. That is never a good sign.

I have one of the earlier Asus Eee PCs (700 model). Very nice and very portable. The new ones are available for around $280. Not bad.