Thread: Dx5 pro

Default Dx5 pro

ok i purchased this model because of all the DSMR Rx's i have. i had ordered the DX5c previously because of its price and knowing this model was not Marine compatible with my MR's but figured i'd use it for my crawlers and monster trucks. The DX4S the smallest of all my Spek Tx's including the DX3c, which the 4 is going into Horizon Hobby for repairs.
    The PRO is the first drop down wheel i've had, truthfully if it wasn't there i'd care less. the screen is the biggest of the others. the balance feels as good as i need, though the trigger feels more like a trigger than the others except it's meant for a smaller finger, my 3 and 4 has more room.
    the menu is an absolute book read but intuitive, features beyond a boat unless you have torpedo launchers and trim elevators and moving turrets and water cannons. the plastic housing reminds me of PVC schedule 40 pipe compared to the 5c seems more as .125 schedule, thus part of the price difference, it's just plain noticeable (first thing i noticed holding it) and flicking it with my finger it's more robust. the battery tray you need a 1.5mm Alan (hex) wrench to access it. it's capable of removing the tray and installing a lipo battery instead. i'm going to configure thumb screws for it.
    i personally never had a problem with any of my Spek TX's until recently the 4.
    i didn't type this to say it's the best and not trying to sell Spektrum to any one, i've read very good about them and i have read horror stories about them. now i own four surface and an air TX DX8, that's just the Spektrums. my birthday is in Oct. i may just purchase the DX6R.
    This model was TX only in the box.

Pass on the DX6R. The 5R is everything good about the 6 and none of the bad, aside from left hand steering. I hated the 6R and it gave me nothing but problems every time I used it. My only complaint about the 5R is sthe stupid hex screws for the battery compartment. Whoever though it was a good idea to replace the conventional slide and snap door should be drawn and quartered, while being forced to change batteries on a 5R/6R transmitter! I had to send my 5R back to Spectrum over the winter for an update so it would work properly with the rechargeable lipo battery. I would assume that's since been corrected in current models, mine was one of the initial release units.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

fweasel, what's the problem with the 6? "The Horror, horror" i couldn't look up nothing on the pro it apparently it just came out.
    anyways i'm configuring thumb screws now in my garage with ferrules JB welded to different length screws to grasp onto.
    i know very little about tx's and rx's(other than what i read).
    i'm trying to simplify my fleet, be air and surface. you have to remember (i sure don't) that when i first purchased the Stiletto from my local hobby store( Hobby Town now closed here) the boat was an ARTR so i purchased the DX3c and that TX has never missed a beat.
    The touch screen on the 6 is it good or horrible? i did not look into that model deeply part because of price but my big fingers and being a grubby man i felt the screen would reject my dainty persuasions.

I'm an Android fan, love my phone, but there's no need for an Android screen/OS in a Tx, in my opinion. Between playing MP3's, downloading mail, and viewing photos on the internet, it makes the reason you bought the damn thing (RC vehicles) infinitely more frustrating to use with hiccups, reboots, freezes, long start-up, battery draw, dim screen. I don't need any of the advantages (?) an android OS brings to this application and certainly don't want the complications that follow. The 5R is just that, all of the necessary features of the 6R, and none of the problems.

Post up pictures of your thumb screw solution. I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I wouldn't be so upset about the screws had they provided a charging port somewhere for the lipo.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

i see now.
    good thing i missed.
    i'll be posting pics of screws for ya, coming up in a additional episode.
    the JB weld ones need paint, but the aluminum ones i'm making are modified small thumb screws themselves just re tapped and die'd.
    how about the new Hitec Lynx 4S. i would have but i have so many Spek RX's. oh and then there's next year Ha!