Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BL Mini-C w/2700KV ammo 11.1V Lipo

So what did you decide? What is you plan of attack?
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Good call. I think lightening the bracket will help for sure. I also want to stiffen up the transom. It has some flex to it and I think that may be a contributing factor as well. I'll keep you guys posted.

Also, I have experimented with weights in multiple locations, and it seems that any addition of weight seems to make the problem worse.

I think the next build will be a Blackjack 26. I'm gunna keep the Mini-C in the fleet though for sure! Thanks for all your help Meniscus! It is much appreciated!

Well I'm not sure I was much help, but it's no problem, anytime.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

It's always a big help to me when someone else puts their ideas out there. It seems to either confirm ideas that I've already had, or start new ones that, as a newbie, I wouldn't even think of. So keep em coming man, and Thanks.

I also Have a Mini-c and an ammo 4040kv to put in it just to see how fast it will actually go beofre flight is accomplished...lol I like what you've done so far and it has giving me a ton of ideas. Keep up the good work man. Good to see guys cutting up metal and fabbing up own parts. Me like.

Keep it up, Jay
    Proboat Mini-C, Blackjack 26 BL

Thanks man.

I think I have almost reached the point of taking flight with the Ammo2700Kv. I'm not sure what else it could be. I have tried so many things to keep this thing from hopping, and It just won't stay in the water. I've tried shifting C/G forward and backward with various weights. I drilled lightening holes in the bracket to lighten the transom weight(Meniscus' Idea). I even taped my tool kit on the bow to where the tips of the sponsons were in the water. Damn thing was still hoppin' out of the water once it got up on plane. I've tried different rudder angles by adding shims behind the bracket. I also tried adding hatch tape to the steps in the hull to kinda eliminate them. I started with one strip just to cover the vents. No change. Then I added several layers to the rear step bringing it up flush with the second one. No change. I think I just have too much power for this size hull. Although the boat want's to porpoise even at 1/4 throttle so I'm not 100% sure that overpowering is the issue.
    Last edited by jfabcustom; 03-24-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Big Jay, how many volts will you run to your 4040Kv Ammo?
    What kind of cells?
    2s Lipo would yeild a similar RPM to my setup (Just under 30,000 RPM).
    3s Lipo would be 44,844RPM!!!!!! Flight for sure!!! LOL

was thinkin 3s cause pops has those he runs in his planes and heli's think i'm gonna put my stock BJ 26 prop on it too. I don't think its gonna work real well but it could be FUN!!
    Proboat Mini-C, Blackjack 26 BL

Don't forget your hatch tape when it comes time to run it. LOL
    I think you may be in for some blow overs. My boat torque rolls quite a bit even with an X427 spinning at 29,970 RPM.
    But hey, you never know until you try it. That's my motto, that and -- Everybody Wang Chung tonight!!!

Have you tried different props with the same results?

Just the X427 and X430. I heard somewhere that having less rake on the prop would help. I may try to modify a 27mm plastic prop that I have to see if it helps. Any thoughts?

Dang, sounds like a battle with this guy. What is your weight? Have you tried 2S? I had a similar problem with my miniscat that I put a 12S motor and after batteries it weight nearly 2lbs. Unless you have some hull warping issues, you may have too much weight. I would try 2S and then a really light 3S if the problem seems to subside. Then if all else fails, have you tried trim tabs? It is sounding pretty hull related.

I'm not sure what it weighs, as I do not have a scale. I'll let you know in a few days. My Dad has a nice scale I can use.

I haven't tried 2s yet. I thought about it. Good idea that may be the next test after I try this plastic prop I modified. it's the first prop Iv'e played with. I figured I'd mess up the plastic one before ruining a nice metal one.

The hull is slightly warped. It came that way from the factory. I'm sure it doesn't help my situation.

I'll keep you posted.

I just weighed mine, a 13 inch scratch built, just under 13 oz loaded up with hatch on. I am using a 29mm prop on 2s with a mystery outrunner.

wow this is an amazing mini c nice work!

Thanks man! I spent some time experimenting with this thing. It was a blast!
    Sixty percent of the time, It works, Everytime!

Can you send me any info needed for the swap to the mini hydro parts? And did you need to make a custom bracket or could you just mount the rudder separate?

I designed and built the bracket myself. The blue annodized stuff is all from mini cat racing they sell it here on OSE.

This is the thread where I got alot of info on stuffing tube, flex cable, strut/rudder, ETC. https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ead.php?t=2245

You can mount your rudder wherever you want. I was just experimenting when I made that bracket. It's actually better to have your rudder to one side of the prop so it's in clean water. Just make sure the rudder pivot point is either even with or behind the prop. Hope this helps. Good luck and happy boating

Quote Originally Posted by jfabcustom View Post
    I designed and built the bracket myself. The blue annodized stuff is all from mini cat racing they sell it here on OSE.

This is the thread where I got alot of info on stuffing tube, flex cable, strut/rudder, ETC. https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ead.php?t=2245

You can mount your rudder wherever you want. I was just experimenting when I made that bracket. It's actually better to have your rudder to one side of the prop so it's in clean water. Just make sure the rudder pivot point is either even with or behind the prop. Hope this helps. Good luck and happy boating
    wow thank you very much for all the info I just ordered a turnigy 2700kv brushless motor from hobbycity and I will be using it with my sidewinder micro esc. This will really help me get everything working properly.

sorry for another dumb question but is there any particular reason why the rudder should be mounted at lease even with the prop or further back?

It makes the boat pivot about the prop instead of a point in front of the prop. This keeps the prop from sliding sideways through the water in a turn.

Quote Originally Posted by jfabcustom View Post
    It makes the boat pivot about the prop instead of a point in front of the prop. This keeps the prop from sliding sideways through the water in a turn.
    Oh ok that makes sense thanks again for all the info!

Default Mini C is coming back!

Ok, I just finnished helping my buddy get his 1973 Sleekcraft Daycruiser Jetboat back on the water. It's been like a side job for me since I've been out of work. Anyway, we had it out at Anderson lake in Morgan Hill, Ca over this past weekend. We installed a new crate 454 with new Edelbrock Marine carb it was a major improvement over the tired old 454 and quadrajet. We also rebuilt the Panther jet drive with all new seals and bearings and we installed a Jetovator wich gives the driver up and down trimming of the jet.

First run we tried a rebuilt Quadrajet carburetor from JET performance but it was defective. We bolted on the new Eldelbrock and it ran better than ever! Last summer with the old 454/Qjet setup we got about 38-40mph out of her on the GPS but we could never get past the bog when the secondaries would start to open. This summer with the Edelbrock We broke 50mph and with some trimming of the jetovator on the Panther Jet we rebuilt we got 52mph! Not to mension the acceleration felt nearly twice as fast. He punched it when he came out of the 5mph zone, he went straight into the secondaries to see what would happen and that 454 just lit up and popped us right out of the water. I was so happy.

Anyway, while we were anchored in a cove basquing in our glory and praising Vic Edelbrock, I couldn't help think about how cool it would be to have my Mini C running again so I could rip it around while we're at the lake. So it inspired me to get it going again.

Unfortunately it got bumped off the shelf where it's been sitting. The rudder broke and the transom cracked. So last night I ordered a new hull and rudder. Im going with the same strut but a side mounted rudder this time instead of my wierd inline bracket. here it is http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=ose-80048

I'll probably experiment some with the layout inside the boat to get my COG where I want it.

I'll be posting progress.

update?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12