Thread: Stock replacement motor for Traxxas 1800kv (Spartan / M41)

Default Stock replacement motor for Traxxas 1800kv (Spartan / M41)

Hey all
    Sooooo much great motor info it's got me a little overwhelmed, I apologize in advance for a question that's been asked a thousand times I'm sure.
    I'm looking for an inexpensive reliable replacement motor for a Traxxas Spartan and my M41, a slight upgrade would be nice.
    Stock motor is 1800kv, I run mostly 6s and have a Hobbywing 120a esc, stock prop.
    I found the awesome kv-rpm chart, that's super helpful, but with so many choices of motors out there I honestly don't know which one to get. Looks like 1800kv is nearing the edge of 6s from a longevity point of view, so thinking something in the 1600kv range?
    Obviously not looking to set the world on fire with a Traxxas boat, but would like something I can count on with similar porformance as the stock Traxxas motor.

Thanks everyone, this site is AWESOME, I can't get to bed at night with all the information!
    Matt

You're question is getting an inexpensive reliable motor. So recommending some of the most common motor replacement or upgrade motor for your Spartan are Leopard motors, TP Power, Dynamite motors, would not fall under inexpensive. However, you can buy them used at half the original cost. So getting a top notch motor like the ones mentioned or even a more expensive Neu or Castle motor you can get them at a lower cost if bought used. The problem with used motors are you won't know if they were abused until you get them and try them. But the most common Traxxas Spartan motor upgrade or replacement motors that I've found are the Leopard and TP Power motors. But since you're looking for an inexpensive motor you can try motors motors from HobbyKing like their marine motors are pretty good and inexpensive. I've tried their Turnigy Aquastar line of motors and they're not bad. SSS motors which OSE sells are also a great inexpensive replacement and here's a surprising one are the GoolRC motors. I've heard some good things from others so I decided to try them myself and I was surprised how their motors and escs held up. You can get a GoolRc 4082 1600KV motor for as low as $45 and they've performed well for me for an "inexpensive" motor. There will be others here that might disagree with me but I'm speaking from my own experience. So if your budget doesn't allow you to get the more common but a bit pricey replacement motors that are used for the Spartan, unless you can get them used, then try some of the ones I've suggested. GoolRc really surprised me. I've used them on my boats and cars and even pushed them really hard just to see how they hold up and I think they're some great inexpensive motors. You should try to post in the wanted section a motor for your Spartan, at least most guys here will not sell you a bad motor. I've found 99% of OSE members here are honest, more than other forums.
    Last edited by Bp9145; 08-02-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Thank you for the info Bp9145, more good info!
    Regarding your comment on OSE members being honest, I've noticed in most everyones posts how respectful everyone is, that's refreshing to see here. Means it's well managed, so kudos to the admins, thank you!