Thread: Sharpen rudder and turn fins?

Default Sharpen rudder and turn fins?

I have to assume that sharper is better for these on my deep V, but how sharp do you guys usually go? I can imagine a true knife edge wouldn't hold up very well on the rudder, but are there performance concerns with going sharper than stock?

Sharp enough to cut? I'd say not that sharp. Better gains can be had with mirror polishing the rudder, turn fins, struts, etc...

not enough to slice your finger but sharp enough to cut white bread.

Alrighty then. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
    Sharp enough to cut? I'd say not that sharp. Better gains can be had with mirror polishing the rudder, turn fins, struts, etc...
    I've been wondering about that lately.
    A lot of us scuff the bottom of hulls & ride pads with some #400 paper in the search for that little extra speed. The theory being that shiny surfaces are a bit sticky, creating drag.
    Maybe scuffing the rudder, trim tabs, turn fins & struts could have the same effect in reducing drag on those items.
    Just wondering if anyone has tried it.
    I might do it to my mono for this weekends racing at our club.
    The results may be negligible, & impossible to prove, But hey, you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    I've been wondering about that lately.
    A lot of us scuff the bottom of hulls & ride pads with some #400 paper in the search for that little extra speed. The theory being that shiny surfaces are a bit sticky, creating drag.
    Maybe scuffing the rudder, trim tabs, turn fins & struts could have the same effect in reducing drag on those items.
    Just wondering if anyone has tried it.
    I might do it to my mono for this weekends racing at our club.
    The results may be negligible, & impossible to prove, But hey, you never know.
    On the hull, yeah. On the hardware...never heard of anyone doing it. I was always told by racers to mirror polish all the hardware. But I'm game for trying something new. Think 400 on the hardware like the hull?

In the early 90's I used to polish my hardware to mirror just for aesthetic looking.After a long discussion with some "hot dogs" I was convinced to not waste my time and since that I only scuff the wet area of my boats (mainly riggers) and let my hardware stock,obviusly my turnfins are very sharp and the front of my rudder blades.Props are carefully balanced,profiled and sharpened but NOT polished ....this from my experience! Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

Quote Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
    On the hull, yeah. On the hardware...never heard of anyone doing it. I was always told by racers to mirror polish all the hardware. But I'm game for trying something new. Think 400 on the hardware like the hull?
    I've never bothered polishing hardware, but yes, I think that I'll try some #400 paper on it.

Gill.
    I don't polish my props either. Just finish them off with some #600 paper. That all comes from an article I read years ago on a full size boat racer where he said that sometimes an old beaten & weathered prop performed better that a brand new bright shiny one of the same specs.

785 you are correct. I like to use some 3M rubber wheels (black,red,white) with different abrasive grits to finish mine but it is safe after that check the balancing again. Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

How about a hit with a red Scotchbrite pad?

Never tried and take care to not scratch too much your hardware....3M dry sandpaper(Gold) first 320 and then 400 grit has also worked to me using a flat block of wood or metal.
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

when i use remodeling the Dragn' Fly 20, i used my Fire Stone ( electric knife sharpener) to get a starting edge on the turn fin. i cut deli thin sliced meat with it, but wet sanded and polished it not so darn sharp.