Thread: did i get screwed

Default did i get screwed

Purchased a used leopard lbp4082-b-2200kv that I was going to put in a MC29 with a 120 esc. hobbyking. maybe with a m445 prop on 6s. Have 6.5mm bullets for esc to motor and ec5's for the battery's. Decided to try the motor out and low and behold the motor just "chugs" both forward and reverse.
    Only tried it for a couple of seconds and it got hot (just hooked up 4p2s) Think I can tear it down, clean up inside or is it toast in your opinion?

Thanks,
    JC

Oh Yea, the shaft turn easily by hand.

esc timing comes to mind .try starting at 15 on the timing and see if it improves
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

I would be using a higher amp esc on the 4082 - 2200kv on 6s than a 120a.

ok here's the deal, just hooked the motor to the esc (not even mounted to the motor mount, just to see it the motor worked) and like I said it just "chugged" (if I can use that terminology) and got hot (really hot) after 5 to 10 10 seconds (flex not hooked up)
    Should have spun like a raped ape (even just using a 2s) yea tried that using just 2s to see if that made a difference.

Martin: I know that I am pushing my luck with a 120amp, but that's all I have at the moment, Basically just making sure the motor works.

whats the timing on the esc? do you have another motor you can plug in to test the esc?
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

I was talking about the 120a esc being used in the boat under load running the boat being not high enough amperage esc & not just testing on the bench.

I've seen chugging motors before, and found one of the 3 motor wires to not be connected properly. Just sharing just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    I've seen chugging motors before, and found one of the 3 motor wires to not be connected properly. Just sharing just in case.
    Yes, try to re-solder both motor and esc connectors. If it still chugs it's quite possible burnt windings.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I'll go with burnt windings too. Did it to a SSS motor. Bench test, motor chugs and got burning hot inside of 3 seconds.

JC.
    The correct term for what the motor is doing is called "Poling" or also "Single Phasing". At least it is for full size 3 phase motors when they have lost a phase.
    Basically, as previously stated, one of the phase wire connections may be a bad solder joint. Either at one of the connectors, or at the ESC.
    Or, one of the windings in the motor is open circuit.
    Or, one of the FET outputs in the ESC is blown.

The first thing to do is prove that the ESC is ok. Can you try it on another motor?

Ditto. Every time I've had a chugging motor, it's turned out to be a bad connection. ...just saying.
    AquaCraft UL-1 59mph.
    Motley Crew 61mph.
    JAE 21FE ~~~ 70 MPH Club ~~~

John, did I read that right? 2200kv on 6s? That's crazy way to many kv for 6s.
    Noisy person

Don't bother resoldering any connectors if you are going to run 6S on a 2200
    kv motor with a m445, you will just destroy the whole setup.

2200 on 6s...saw passes...no problem. M445 yeah, that's too much prop.

John isn't a saw racer. No offense to John. A Motley Crue is no saw boat either.

2200kv is too much for 6s. Especially in a MC. The 4082 is huge. If he's using the factory mount it will likely be flopping all over in there.

.................oh no. I got sucked into another one of these foolish 6s debates. Sorry guys. I'll back away from the keyboard.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    John isn't a saw racer. No offense to John. A Motley Crue is no saw boat either.

2200kv is too much for 6s. Especially in a MC. The 4082 is huge. If he's using the factory mount it will likely be flopping all over in there.

.................oh no. I got sucked into another one of these foolish 6s debates. Sorry guys. I'll back away from the keyboard.
    C'mon T-Man, ( No Offense John)

Overpower it, Overvolt it, Call it a SAW boat even 'tho it's never been to or never will see a SAW. Get with it man
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Basically it was just going to see it if could be done (just to show off type thing) Going to put a aquacraft kv1800 in and run 4s (not sure on prop yet maybe m445, sound OK)

Anyways the leopard is toast, ESC is good, couple other motors worked just fine. Continuity is good between bullet and wire (even cleaned up bullets, male and female sides) Tried again for about 5 seconds (motor "chugged") and all 3 wires got hot. Left at that. Didn't want to burn the ESC up either.

Thanks for all your input guys,
    John

PS: Wish I had been more adamant about checking things out on this site from the git go. I have so many batteries (2s 25c 1300mah and the list goes on) that are going by the wayside. Because I didn't know and thought I knew it all (SILLY ME)

Typical answers lol

John there's nothing wrong asking for help and this is the place where most of us have learned a bunch of things about the Fe universe include my self even after 43 years in this hobby most of them nitro and gas.Definitevely a 2200kv motor needs a good esc like a 240A to hold the amps that a motor like this can produce on 6S even for few seconds on the bench.I have learned the hard way when I started my first fe projects too!
    Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

Well, the motor is toasted, all the motors I have worked well with the same esc. Checked continuity between wire and bullet and all was good. Even tried rearranging wires (usually middle wire of motor to middle wire of esc) "But" to no avail (still "chugs" and both wires and motor after about 10 seconds) Oh well live and learn

MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169