Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 200 amp flier ,caps get hot,

Quote Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
    But are 50v caps good for 12s?
    We are talking 8s applications, not 12s. You need 63V caps min on 12s. I haven’t researched caps for that volt application. Even 63V is cutting it thin.

For 12s applications, I would use the EGPD800ELL162MM40H, 0.012ohm, 80V, 135 Degree C. That is a very high temp rating, what the application calls for. They cost about $4.30 each. About 3X over the Rubycon caps... I guess you get what you pay for, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    The Rubycon cap has 5 times higher impedance! Just looked it up on Digi-Key site. It would take 5 of those caps to equal just one of the caps I referenced... BTW, Rubycon has a low quality reputation, made for high volume, general purpose input rectifier circuits...
    Wow! Everyone seems to make out Rubycon as the holy grail of cap brands. And I keep learning! You know a lot more about this stuff!

For 12s applications, I would use the EGPD800ELL162MM40H, 0.012ohm, 80V, 135 Degree C. That is a very high temp rating, what the application calls for. They cost about $4.30 each. About 3X over the Rubycon caps... I guess you get what you pay for, eh?
    Very good, thanks so much Craig!

At this high of voltage, you must use a pre-charging circuit. You will eat your connectors up if you try to snap them and it will scare the rabbit poop out of you! Use a 50ohm, 1/2W resistor for that purpose.

I use 0.063” copper sheeting, soldering two pieces on top of each other as the “PC Board”. I make two rails of copper, drilling the copper to pass the lead, soldering to the copper. Do not bend the caps leads 90 degrees to form this bus! That makes current choke points and dramatically reduces the effectiveness of the caps! I then epoxy cost between the copper rails and back that up with a piece of fiberglass board, 0.063” stuff, no copper on it...

Here’s a monster cap Bank I built for Dashbota he put in his speed rc car, to hit a straight speed record...
    Attached Images Attached Images

At this high of voltage, you must use a pre-charging circuit. You will eat your connectors up if you try to snap them and it will scare the rabbit poop out of you! Use a 50ohm, 1/2W resistor for that purpose.
    I use Amass 7mm anti spark connectors.

I use 0.063” copper sheeting, soldering two pieces on top of each other as the “PC Board”. I make two rails of copper, drilling the copper to pass the lead, soldering to the copper. Do not bend the caps leads 90 degrees to form this bus! That makes current choke points and dramatically reduces the effectiveness of the caps! I then epoxy cost between the copper rails and back that up with a piece of fiberglass board, 0.063” stuff, no copper on it...
    I am going to try that, thanks!!

You can get the copper sheeting on metalsonline.com. So much better than a PCB! Good luck and have fun fabricating, I like that part....

You can get the copper sheeting on metalsonline.com. So much better than a PCB! Good luck and have fun fabricating, I like that part....
    Cool! Thank you! Copper sheet has been ordered.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12