Thread: Would there be any interest????

Default Would there be any interest????

We all know that there are groups and clubs that support the larger boats as majority of us are in them (IMPBA, NAMBA, ETC.) as most of us are Apart of them....
    BUT WHAT IF.........
    A RACE WAS SETUP FOR STRICTLY SMALL SCALE BOATS N
    BETWEEN 17in to 27in running everything from riggers to cats to monos to hydroplanes.....

Cool!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Cool!
    It's so many of us that have them, especially mini sprints, mini cats, mini monos why not try and expand this part of the sport....myself personally and 2 other guys in my club are building twin mini riggers now, and we have the perfect location to hold decent size events with these little guys not to big or to small a lot less hassle a lot less space in the vehicles but same power packed fun

We have mini classes in Naviga for hulls under 450mm (about 17.5"), as well as 2-3s and 4-6s classes without size limits, and I can tell you there is a huge difference in capability between a 17" hull and a 27" hull, they wont race well together.

About 500W is the limit of a 17" hull (we run our flighty hulls at about 200w, but the more stolid hulls can handle up to 500), while the speeds aren't too dissimilar, the water they can handle at that speed is very different, so in the rough the bigger boats will walk away. There is no way a 1lb 17" boat can cope with the holes a 5lb 27" boat carves in the water either, so overtaking will be impossibly one-sided.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

When I break apart the bull types I mean having different classes of the same hull
    Example: mini sprints against the wooden shrimp outfitters sold through eBay and Amazon and hobby king.....or....24" hydros run together.....or the sport just is it's to many to name.....I didn't mean running a 27in against a 17in that would be chaos....lol

A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

As you all know, I really like the micros for a host of reasons that I have expounded upon in countless other threads in this forum. Stinson68’s thread question got me to thinking: Would there be any interest? For the life of me, I don’t know why not. Yet I have a couple of laser-cut wood hulls in the works and even a couple more uber-secret projects in the works as well and the interest is…. well……., underwhelming at best.

Oh sure, everyone likes to watch the progress and I’m sure most think it’s kinda cool, but there really isn’t that much enthusiasm in duplicating them. I've highlighted half a dozen micro builds, but I don't hear guys clamoring to say "I want to build one too!" How many here have a 1/8-scale hydro? A lot. How many have a 1/10-scale? I’ll bet even more. I’m sure the majority here have something in the 1/12-scale realm, or at least something in that general size range. But how many have micros? A couple? Now, I’m not talking those mass-produce Asian toy boats, I mean a serious scale and/or race boat. Is it because NAMBA and IMPBA don’t have classes for the little guys and everyone is addicted to sanctioned racing only?

It takes the same skill and attention to detail to build a winning 1/20-scale boat as it does a 1/8-scale model. It just takes a WHOLE lot less money and entails different challenges.

So getting back to Stinson68’s question; Would there be any interest? All I can add is: Why the hell not?

I think that it could be something to take off honestly, i have actually been tossing the idea around with the impba board

Quote Originally Posted by Stinson68 View Post
    I think that it could be something to take off honestly, i have actually been tossing the idea around with the impba board
    I'll tell you what I would like to see:

1. A 1/20 semi-scale class like the 1/10-scale; it has to look like a full size boat that actually competed. Any 2S power system you want. Turning them left would be limiting due to so few props available, but it is possible. I'd stick with right turning boats. Furthermore, I would not make them put the props under the hull, again due to the limited availability of props and size constraints, and lastly, I would not limit turn fins to scale location and size.

2. A 1/20 scale spec class like LSH. Everybody runs similar power systems and it has to look like it could be a real boat. Pick one cheap fan-cooled outrunner motor of around 3000Kv as the "spec" motor, something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exceed-RC-H...VJmQ:rk:1:pf:0.

3. A 450mm (roughly 1/20 scale) offshore class. Cats and monos.

4. A 450mm hydro class for 'riggers.

I'd spec the 1/20 scale classes (#1 and #2) to 2S, mainly due to prop availability. The offshore class could be split to 2S and 3S; anything more would be nonsensical. The hydro class could go up to 4S for some stupid fast boats.
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 01-11-2019 at 10:27 AM.