Thread: Sharpening trailing edge

Default Sharpening trailing edge

When putting the final touches on a prop, I see that having a sharp square corner on the trailing edge is important. My question is do I make that square corner perpendicular to the hub, or should I attempt to make it perpendicular to the prop blade? The latter seems right, but photos I've seen look like the former is standard practice.

Square to the prop face

Yes, Chris is correct (no surprise there).

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Help me out with what that means. Does that mean that both angles will be the same because I'm squaring it to the plane of rotation perpendicular to the hub, or will the angles be different because I'm squaring each side to the trailing edge angle?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jester_s1 View Post
    Help me out with what that means. Does that mean that both angles will be the same because I'm squaring it to the plane of rotation perpendicular to the hub, or will the angles be different because I'm squaring each side to the trailing edge angle?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    you sound like a intelligent guy lets not ruin it,, the explanation is quite clear,, unless your a engineer that is going to over think the whole thing

I try to be an intelligent guy, but it's not clear to me. What do I square the trailing edges to?

I try to be an intelligent guy, but it's not clear to me. What do I square the trailing edges to?
    to the concave side

to the concave side but I doubt anyone would notice the difference if not true !!

Ok, last dumb question about this- The angle between the root and tip of the blade is different at the trailing edge. Do the prop gurus make the whole thing match at some point on the prop, or should the angle change from the root to the tip? Or does it really matter either way?

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    you sound like a intelligent guy lets not ruin it,, the explanation is quite clear,, unless your a engineer that is going to over think the whole thing
    This right here is priceless! I love it!

Lol!

..bump ...

Quote Originally Posted by steinersamuel View Post
    This right here is priceless! I love it!
    I take offense! But as an engineer even, I just let Chris do my props for me lol

Well, as a Machinist ( Maritime) I'd do my own, but at my age I just can't seem to hold it still long enuf to do any good so... off to Chris ...
    Quote Originally Posted by tbonemcniel View Post
    I take offense! But as an engineer even, I just let Chris do my props for me lol

I've been doing my own props for a long time and I still don't understand Chris. I just follow what the factory did for the trailing edge.

A diagram would be nice.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Indeed, when certain reps came to the ship yard , they sometimes brought a vhs of the repair we were going to do. It helps the first time around...
    Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    I've been doing my own props for a long time and I still don't understand Chris. I just follow what the factory did for the trailing edge.

A diagram would be nice.

If you want to how a perfect prop looks like(just buy one from Chris)look at mercuryracing.com/propellers then you see the best props and what it looks like

Indeed, at $25,00 to $50,000 a throw, I am glad Chris does not cost that much.. but if it meant the difference between 1st and 2nd place ...that'd be the money shot!
    Quote Originally Posted by koen View Post
    If you want to how a perfect prop looks like(just buy one from Chris)look at mercuryracing.com/propellers then you see the best props and what it looks like

It doesn't really matter. The flow separates the same. Below is how I cut the trailing edge. Making the blades equal and square with the shaft is what's important.

Lohring Miller

Cavitation.jpg P1010326.jpg