Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jersey Skiff Build - Natural High

Default Jersey Skiff Build - Natural High

I'm starting to build a Jersey Skiff for a friend, that is a model of his dad's former boat. A little different from what I usually build, but should be a fun vintage project. Here is the description from my friend:

"Time to get nostalgic, the older skiff pictures was my dad’s original bender hull NJ Speed Skiff he built back in the early 80’s when I was a kid. The top picture is a hull he purchased, had painted to match his original, but never built it."

IMG_0430.jpg IMG_0458.JPG IMG_0460.JPG

Here is the model skiff, it was made by Specialty Engineering Inc in Lanoka Harbor, NJ. Originally calls for a .40 nitro, but will be going with electric since he already has FE models. I've included a letter from the builder when he first purchased, describing how to outfit the model.

IMG_0361.JPG IMG_0362.jpg

Parts arrived today, thanks OSE. Going TP 4060 - 1350kv, Speedmaster mono strut, OSE rudder, Seaking 180A esc, and OSE adjustable trim tabs.
    IMG_0454.jpg

How it sits now
    IMG_0456.jpg

This is how I plan on doing the hardware setup, any suggestions on submerged prop size and depth?
    phoca_thumb_l_hpim2086.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

TFL Motor Mount
    IMG_0461.jpg

Found Center, referenced bottom to find level, and attached some of the hardware. The deck is about 1/4" off center. At first I thought I measured wrong, but was easy to see, once I confirmed measurements.
    IMG_0462.jpg

Strut on, when in the full up position stuffing tube can almost touch bottom of hull. Should give me enough adjustability.
    IMG_0467.jpg

Stuffing tube annealed and bent with tube bender.
    IMG_0470.jpg

Doing final alignment before glassing in.
    IMG_0471.jpg

Looks great.
    I love the skiffs & crackerboxes. Full size racing looks like a blast.
    Our club used to race 1/10th crackerboxes. Heaps of fun. But we had straight drive shafts with the prop under the transom, so I can't help with the appropriate prop depth or size for your setup.
    Someone will though, I'm sure.

Thank you, the owners of a full size skiff must be nuts to drive these things.. but it does look like a wild ride.

For the strut and prop depth, I researched similar flat bottom boats and copied how they did the setup. I ended up bottoming out the strut adjustment, then made the stuffing tube almost touch the boat bottom, and that was the height the bracket was mounted to transom. This gives me strut adjustment from touching boat bottom, to full extension of the strut. If that is not enough I could always open slot in strut for more adjustment, but should be a good starting point. As far as how deep it should be with a certain prop, I will probably have to experiment.

A little free time, so I repaired two of the original hatch tabs that came un-glued with epoxy. The other two were still very secure, so instead of tearing out the two good tabs, I repaired the others and will tie in additional framing later.
    IMG_0475.jpg

2 Strips of fiberglass to hold motor mount in, will clean up once hardened. Battery trays will be next.
    IMG_0485.jpg

With motor in place, I also cut shaft to length and did the exterior servo linkage. Just have to drill for water inlet.
    IMG_0486.jpg

Making the battery tray bracket templates.
    IMG_0494.jpg

Brackets will allow 1/8" clearance on battery sides/bottom to run straps.
    IMG_0500.jpg

All Parts Cut.
    IMG_0508.jpg

Assembled. I will seal the wood and then laminate with CF vinyl to match motor mount.
    IMG_0509.jpg

Servo bracket made, time to seal and then paint.
    IMG_0510.jpg

Top Secret : Jersey Skiffs are the most fun you can have in FE. Fast and barely in control - they go up on their sides in the turns [ prop digs in, unvents/hull bounces down/prop digs in again/up on the rail/unvents again and so on]. The prop depth is important for sure [and I've not discovered the magic formula yet BTW]. The D19 gas skiffs stay on the rail all through the turn now - took lots of tuning but I'm not there yet with my FE skiff. Seems that at your chosen KV you'd be running 6S - the TP motor is a powerhouse but I'd start small with the prop given that it's submerged. Maybe an X442 to start with. Good luck

my skiff:

Jersey Skiff Vance photo.jpg

Skiff Race at Winter Warmups - Both contestants were given field sobriety tests after this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP0kDxAFCJM
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Properchopper: I looked through several of your skiff threads / videos for a basis on this model. Not many people have posted about these, but your thread was helpful and they are fun to watch in action.

You are correct on the KV, we will be running 6S due to my friend already having battery packs for a Zelos Twin. The skiff is being setup with an option to run 2 or 4 - 3s 5000mah packs. I have one / will start with the X442, I always try to start with a small prop and work up with electrics. It was hard to determine the load dynamics/relationship of submerged vs surface piercing props, had to guesstimating a bit. With two blades in water vs one, is load doubled, or does cavitation or another effect play a part and reduce the load etc?

I did over spec the motor watts (power) a bit, but I was concerned with the mass of this model. At less than 33", it is close to 6.5lbs with just hardware attached. Still have to add the mass of motor, hatches and parts, and batteries. Do you know or could you tell me the weight of your bare skiff hull? Do you have a normal overhead on the speed control, or add additional to cover the amp spikes when prop loads/unloads in corners?

I don't have the bare hull weight. Can't find it on the Aero site either BUT my take is that these hulls like weight to minimize their tendency to bob/bounce (they're essentially flatbottoms). I've only run mine with 1500KV or 1800KV spec motors & smaller 80A or 120A ESC's which I usually have one or two extra caps on just for good luck One thing I've noticed is that if they are rigged too noseheavy the nose will dig in after a bounce and it will dart off course !
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Good to know that symptom of CG off! It should be an interesting setup with a little more power and weight to better keep it planted, most I have seen run your same setup.

Here is a link I came across on this forum who's skiff seems to run well..

Sealed and laminated battery tray.
    IMG_0531.jpg

Battery trays in
    IMG_0529.jpg

I cut rear bulkhead to fit for batteries and wires. Need to clean up a bit, I will paint bulkhead black where the two battery trays meet after I seal the wood.
    IMG_0587.jpg

Starting on the hatch templates, I'll incorporate a dash panel and two seats in rear hatch. He can choose the drivers and what gauge decals on dash panel.
    IMG_0588.jpg

Some progress on the hatches. Cut and fit mid hatch frames.
    IMG_0606.jpg

Laying out the dash template and sizing seats. I plan on cutting out the inside and making a recessed "box" to hold driver/ seats once I get outside frame made.
    IMG_0608.jpg

The first test run went well! It took me a little bit to get the hang of turning with a skiff..

Yikes ! It's fast ! definitely takes some practice carving turns (I'm not there yet). Mine was set up for what started out to be a "gentlemen's rule set for racing class" - No more that 2 1/4 " (or was it 2 1/2 inch ? ) extension of hardware off the back ; J-bend shaft ; P-Ltd motors. I used an AQ 1800KV (now a 1500KV). With the TP2060 you could prop way up for warp speeds ! Nice job (reduce rudder throw BTW )

Early testing - Reminds one of professional Bull Riding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz9eLoXGSew
    Last edited by properchopper; 08-27-2018 at 02:48 PM.

Yep, that’s pretty squirrelly all right! Tony is right, I had to set my CBox rudder throw to 1/4” on each side to get good control. Use the minimum throw required to make the tightest turn required. Remember that these were intended to run with wide racing turns, not hairpins. Nice build BTW.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks guys, he doesn't have a programmable radio and it was bound to an extra rtr radio I had (dx2e?) in the video. So maybe i'll try to take it out of servo arm or program in mine and see if he will get one. Propperchopper: Your skiff really gets on its side!

What props would be next steps, electronics were just warm with two packs / submerged X442? Not that he needs it, but good for "reference".

Quote Originally Posted by M3Bluegsr View Post
    Thanks guys, he doesn't have a programmable radio and it was bound to an extra rtr radio I had (dx2e?) in the video. So maybe i'll try to take it out of servo arm or program in mine and see if he will get one. Propperchopper: Your skiff really gets on its side!

What props would be next steps, electronics were just warm with two packs / submerged X442? Not that he needs it, but good for "reference".

I hesitate to give answers to stuff I haven't had any hands-on experience with- BUT I know that my 2-Lap Record holding Cheetah with a 2040 KV (on 4S) TP4060 can run laps with a 450/3 and go gonzo with a 452/2 and not break a sweat (of course different prop depth)

These scale skiffs are already way past their "safe handling zone" but if you want to go to "11" for grins try an Oct 445 or go up to a M545. Or try Bull Riding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc

Maybe when boat is done we can do some saw passes with those props..lol

Making the templates for the driver box. I will probably add a little more depth since I have room.
    Seat Tray.jpg

Looking really good JJ!!

Good stuff ! Boy, the more I watch your skiff come together the more I miss running mine which has been pining away on the shelf, lonely for more company I think that Skiffs are the secret antidote to whatever ails you on the water ; probably the most fun-running boats ever - Control ? ? They were started by cramming a potent V-8 into what was basically a flatbottom rowboat - the scale model skiffs seem to oscillate between where you point them and where they want to go

Man, looks good! I’d like to see a class form with electric skiffs. We talked about last weekend at d3 race. I thought I seen somewhere a 30” electric kit. Would be fun with spec motor and prop and min weight.
    Vortex 22 hydro ammo 36-50
    Vortex Cyber Storm 33 P spec Mono AC 36-56
    PT SS-45 Q-hydro Neu 1527/1Y

Quote Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
    Looking really good JJ!!
    Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Good stuff ! Boy, the more I watch your skiff come together the more I miss running mine which has been pining away on the shelf, lonely for more company I think that Skiffs are the secret antidote to whatever ails you on the water ; probably the most fun-running boats ever - Control ? ? They were started by cramming a potent V-8 into what was basically a flatbottom rowboat - the scale model skiffs seem to oscillate between where you point them and where they want to go
    I'm glad I stayed true to the Jersey Skiff nature and went with a powerful TP motor! Definitely takes skill to drive and seemed to be easier to control while accelerating. When I went slow, or let off causing the nose to come down, is when it would spin out.

Quote Originally Posted by ETOWNE View Post
    Man, looks good! I’d like to see a class form with electric skiffs. We talked about last weekend at d3 race. I thought I seen somewhere a 30” electric kit. Would be fun with spec motor and prop and min weight.
    Steve has them in stock.

http://offshoreelectrics.com/proddet...od=Aero-mskiff

Cut out wood pieces from templates and assembled driver box. Still have to make the center "tunnel" section, this area will hide the thumbscrew mount. So the hatch will be held by pins or arms in the front and a single thumbscrew between the seats. Once all hatches are complete, I will re-paint all the top deck pieces in AutoAir metallic or pearl white and automotive clear coat.

20180913_162956.jpg

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by M3Bluegsr View Post
    The Aeromarine skiff hulls listed for sale on OSE are 32.75" - not in stock, special order but worth the wait.

Oh YEAH !!

Skiff front splash004.JPG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast