Thread: Giant power 4S 5000 mah 65c-130c lipo problems?

Default Giant power 4S 5000 mah 65c-130c lipo problems?

Hi all 2 years ago i purchased 2- 4s Giant power 5000 mah lipo's always stored at 60% in winter +cycle 3 time's during the off season never discharged them below 30% and never had them heat up more than 15 degrees over ambient temerature i had 1 pack go south last fall and the other one give out last week. They both swelled to twice there size both packs where barely warm when this happened i also use a stopwatch with a alarm i also use the blue Turnigy 4s 5000 mah 40c lipo's under the same parameters and never had any issues except the boats may be 4 mph slower than the Giant power lipo's. Has anyone else had this issue ? very frustrating cosidering the Giant power lipo's where 3x the price of the Turnigy's ! Regards Andris Golts.

When you charged or discharged your packs what was the voltage balance?

I use the Hyperion chargers. they balance packs down to 0.002 Volts between all cells in the pack.

That is 2 thousand's of a volt.
    Some people say 0.020 is Ok
    If I put a pack on my pack checker, and it reads 0.020 or above, I get an alarm.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Two years ago those would have been the packs in blue semi transparent heat shrink correct? If so your experience is not uncommon. It is my understanding that the current cells are much better although I haven't run any myself.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Hi Larry voltage balance was 4.19v -4.22v . Doug they where the packs in blue semi transparent heat shrink. Thanks to both of you for your replies. Regards Andris Golts.

Quote Originally Posted by Andris Golts View Post

Hi all 2 years ago i purchased 2- 4s Giant power 5000 mah lipo's always stored at 60% in winter +cycle 3 time's during the off season never discharged them below 30% and never had them heat up more than 15 degrees over ambient temerature i had 1 pack go south last fall and the other one give out last week. They both swelled to twice there size both packs where barely warm when this happened i also use a stopwatch with a alarm i also use the blue Turnigy 4s 5000 mah 40c lipo's under the same parameters and never had any issues except the boats may be 4 mph slower than the Giant power lipo's. Has anyone else had this issue ? very frustrating cosidering the Giant power lipo's where 3x the price of the Turnigy's ! Regards Andris Golts.
    Same issue. Don't blame Giant Power. That run of Batts from who ever made them was awful. My hyperion packs from the same time all were garbage. Bob made good on them but that was 2 years ago after one weekends use.

Quote Originally Posted by Andris Golts View Post
    Hi Larry voltage balance was 4.19v -4.22v Regards Andris Golts.
    4.19v -4.22v = 0.030v = 3 hundredths
    Max should be about 0.015v thousands.

Also your balance checker should go to 0.000 (3 decimal places)

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

There was a whole era of batteries I had trouble with. I think they all copy each other. I had issues with some Thunderpower puffing around the same time that the blue GP's were out. The worst were the HV cells. Horrible.
    Noisy person

There's a big factory in China that builds cells/packs...think its call "LiPos R Us"...different labels get slapped on them at the end before shipping.

This problem is not uncommon. I just recently had some go bad. I cycle all my batteries every 3 months and this time a few of my batteries ended up with one dead cell. Thunder Power 6S 5000mah, Thunder Power 4S and 6S 2250mah, and a couple of Gens Ace 4S 2200mah all had one bad cell. All were brand new, stored properly, kept inside the house with 71°-73° temps and just over a year old. Tried reviving the dead cells and was unable. Had a couple last year also but I was able to revive the cells. The only thing to do is either take the bad cells out or just leave them as is and just use them as 5S, 3S or 2S or sell them as is, not sure what I'm going to do yet. It's frustrating but it happens even with the more expensive and better brands. Doby's probably right about "LiPos R Us". .LOL

I bought 6 Revoelectric packs silver label (6S 5.0A 60C) one year and a haft ago and two of them have one dead cell under normal use and proper storage....I wonder when this quality control will be improved as the two have less than twenty charges.!? Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    Two years ago those would have been the packs in blue semi transparent heat shrink correct? If so your experience is not uncommon. It is my understanding that the current cells are much better although I haven't run any myself.
    LOL !! I just bought 4 used packs matching your description !! They are not puffed and balanced perfectly, hopefully they stay that way . Reading the rest of the comments here I’m seriously considering to never buy the highest performance batteries again! I had brand new RevLectrix go south on the shelf also .
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein