Thread: Smaller mono choice for windy day water

Default Smaller mono choice for windy day water

I have a first version Shockwave 26 that I converted to brushless. It's not fast, but it's reliable on the lakes near me. Here in Texas, the wind is always blowing so the water is always choppy. I had a Miss Geico catamaran, and I could only run it on calmer days. I have the itch to go higher performance, so I'm trying to decide what I really need. I see the Delta Force 26, and given it's a lot stiffer and designed for speed I'd expect it to work well. But how about the smaller boats in the 21-23 inch range? Are any of those known for being rough water friendly? I'm not a racer, so I don't need to fit into any particular set of specs.

i had a df 26. was a good boat, but not what id call a windy type of rough water boat. did ok in race water with other boats, but if the wind was making heavy chop, not so much.
    i like the Aeromarine Titan 29 as a small rough water boat. good to hammer some waves with one of those. little bigger that what you're looking for tho. maybe someone else has some input
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

how about something a little longer to handle the chop. Deltaforce Cyberstorm or the Deltaforce 33.

The cost becomes prohibitive as the boats get bigger. Plus I want to keep it small enough to make storage and transport easy. Like I said in the OP, my Shockwave 26 handles the chop I normally run in fairly well, but I know I can't push the performance much more due to the flimsy hull and hardware.

Why not try the OSE Raider 25, the hull should be good for some rougher water.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...ro-raider-hull
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

I'm curious how the Raider would be better than the Delta Force? Is it the CF floor, or is it something about the design?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Why not try the OSE Raider 25, the hull should be good for some rougher water.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...ro-raider-hull
    Oh yeah! Forgot about that one. That’s perfect

Quote Originally Posted by jester_s1 View Post
    I'm curious how the Raider would be better than the Delta Force? Is it the CF floor, or is it something about the design?
    Design.

If you want to have some fun in choppy waters or not, I say get a self righting boat like a Joysway Offshore infinity. . .on calm waters it can be a rocket depending what motor/esc and if it's too choppy and you flip, you don't have to worry because it's self righting. I have three of them now and I find myself using them more often than the others I have. I let all my friends drive it and I don't have to worry about anything. One of them has a 120A esc with a 2860 motor and it's a rocket. I also have one that I completely gutted it out because I want to put a CF inlay and make it a self righting "over kill" rocket. That's what I'm going to name it when I'm done. . .OVERKILL. . LOL. .So for some fun on rough or calm waters try a self righting boat and you'll love it. BTW, there are several offe offerings of self righting boats. The Joysway Offshore Infinity is just one that I liked a lot.
    Last edited by Bp9145; 07-15-2018 at 06:39 PM.

That's a good thought. I was thinking I'd do a flood chamber regardless of what I went with unless it was a self righting design.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I see a Joysway on ebay for 160 + 30 for shipping, looks great too.

how fast is the sw26?" how fast you want to go? i just bought a volantex vector pro 798-2 800mm boat(thats including hardware ,its about a 26 inch boat) .has a flood chamber .out the box on 4s only 30 mph but with a balanced and sharpened abc 42x55 i got almost 39mph .you can run this flat out in chop ,if it flips over it will self right .
    check my video .
    its not without faults though 3 out of 3 members i know of had leaking flood chambers(leaking to inside of boat)but once fixed wasnt a issue no longer .this is a plastic boat .but the cost reflects that .212.00 shipped i got mine .40mph is about the limit of the motor esc combo .aside from a dasboata prepped prop this abc 42x55 is king .
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

theres always the recoil 26 from proboat .fine little choppy water boat .expect about 32mph on 3s with a m440 prop .thats what i got out of mine .self righting works good .a blip of the throttle and she flips right over .before i sold mine i threw a 3 blade 440 on it and managed 36 mph .this is a 3s boat .i ran this in chop alot ,flipped it ,barrel rolled it ,jumped it over waves .it likes it rough .
    here it is on the m440 running in chop at the lake
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

It looks like I may have found something that will work. A local guy is selling a clone of the DF 31 at a good price. The components in it look good, and I'll get to see it run before paying for it. Assuming I like it after running it a couple of times, I'll probably add a flood chamber so I can run it a little looser and faster. Thanks for all the replies guys. There is a ton of knowledge on this forum.

Thats one of the hulls i mentioned you should look into but it was too big for storage and transport wasn,t it ?

Cost was the larger concern. I'd be happier with something a little smaller, but for the price I won't complain.

Aeromarine mini x.
    Heavy chop:
    https://youtu.be/yYNI8oxIKCE

Surf:
    https://youtu.be/fsZCptnqNhU

I run this with a 3660 1500 kv proboat motor on 4 S and if set up right it is self righting...
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    Aeromarine mini x.
    Heavy chop:
    https://youtu.be/yYNI8oxIKCE

Surf:
    https://youtu.be/fsZCptnqNhU

I run this with a 3660 1500 kv proboat motor on 4 S and if set up right it is self righting...
    thats pretty impressive ,how fast were you going in that video? how does it self right?

It does 40-45 on smooth water on a 45mm prop. I propped down for the surf.
    6” narrow hull means you can load up port side and with a deft throttle hand you can get it to flop on over the few times it actually stays upside down.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    It does 40-45 on smooth water on a 45mm prop. I propped down for the surf.
    6” narrow hull means you can load up port side and with a deft throttle hand you can get it to flop on over the few times it actually stays upside down.
    nice ,i looked into it a bit .looks like you have to build this hull up yourself .i dont mind providing a motor and esc/servo ,but never have i drilled a hull .

Ya, not an easy first build... but doable! Let me know, I could help you out.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I bought the Delta Force 33 today. $140 receiver ready ain't a bad deal. I need to put orings on the water jacket and will replace all of the cooling lines before I really put it through its paces. Thanks to all who chimed in to help me. Now I need to start reading through build threads and setup procedures to get it all just right. It ran a bit nose up with its tail in the water for the couple of minutes he demoed it for me. On tired 4s batteries it was no speed demon, but still enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by jester_s1 View Post
    I bought the Delta Force 33 today. $140 receiver ready ain't a bad deal. I need to put orings on the water jacket and will replace all of the cooling lines before I really put it through its paces. Thanks to all who chimed in to help me. Now I need to start reading through build threads and setup procedures to get it all just right. It ran a bit nose up with its tail in the water for the couple of minutes he demoed it for me. On tired 4s batteries it was no speed demon, but still enjoyable.

I thought you wanted a smaller mono? Well, as long as your happy and boating is all it counts! Have fun and the DF 33 if set up properly is a pretty good boat. You won't have a problem finding build threads and setups.

Quote Originally Posted by Bp9145 View Post
    I thought you wanted a smaller mono? Well, as long as your happy and boating is all it counts! Have fun and the DF 33 if set up properly is a pretty good boat. You won't have a problem finding build threads and setups.
    It was more about keeping things simple and inexpensive. I'd have preferred to go a little smaller, but at this price and built as well as it is I couldn't pass it up. A build on this boat would have been a good bit more expensive than the smaller boats I was thinking of.